Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hey everyone! Thought I'd start a thread that we can use to help get some creative juices flowing for Mother's Day gift ideas and inspiration. I'm sure since this is an Apple forum, many of these ideas will be apple accessory related, and that's fine, but try and add some non tech related suggestions as well. Anyway here's somewhere to start for ideas.

Reactions: Patti McCaghren

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I got my mom a whiskey barrel. Before you call me crazy lol, I mean that literally. One of the old fashioned individual-board barrels.

She just had her condo patio redone due to a termite issue and replaced a bunch of planting areas with concrete. So I got her the barrel and I'm going to fill it with dirt and give it to her to let her plant her favorite flowers in it. :)

Reactions: Patti McCaghren

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I got my mom a whiskey barrel. Before you call me crazy lol, I mean that literally. One of the old fashioned individual-board barrels.

She just had her condo patio redone due to a termite issue and replaced a bunch of planting areas with concrete. So I got her the barrel and I'm going to fill it with dirt and give it to her to let her plant her favorite flowers in it. :)

That is totally awesome!

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
A) Your presence, and your love.

B) Think about what she did/does for you. Do her laundry, tidy up after her, cook for her etc for the day.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks

Are you going to cut it in half??

She may have issues with rust from the end band.

Attachments

• halves-big.jpg
    halves-big.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 525

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011

You should find out what her favorites are and plant them before you give it to her, so she gets more than just a pot of dirt. Love the idea though!!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
You should find out what her favorites are and plant them before you give it to her, so she gets more than just a pot of dirt. Love the idea though!!

Cool idea - I want it to be a surprise though so I'd have to move it in without her noticing. I'll have to move it empty to her patio then bring in dirt. I thought about getting the flowers too, but she likes to go around and actually pick ones that suite her current mood. Plus, she doesn't get many opportunities to plant anymore, so this will be one of those. :)

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
Cool idea - I want it to be a surprise though so I'd have to move it in without her noticing. I'll have to move it empty to her patio then bring in dirt. I thought about getting the flowers too, but she likes to go around and actually pick ones that suite her current mood. Plus, she doesn't get many opportunities to plant anymore, so this will be one of those. :)

Oh I was under the impression you would some how give her the pot already filled with dirt. That's why I added the flower idea. :) What if you got her a small gift card to somewhere where she could buy the flowers. It doesn't take much to buy flowers or seeds, and it would really complete the gift! :) Still love the idea and might need to steal it actually. I'm talking to my sister about it right now! I'd say for a 15 year old like myself, it's not a bad gift! Thanks for the idea!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
QT is probably the best one I've seen but beyond that, how about hiring a service to clean her house? This is great for the elderly.

Another gift my mum really likes is a calendar. I take the photos from the previous year and build a memento complete with family members' birthdays.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Take her out for a nice meal or other activity. As a dad spending time with your kid is so much better than any gift you could buy.
How about enrol in a fun class together (like pottery or painting) or some other joint activity?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
This is the first Mother's Day that I won't be celebrating since my mom passed last July. But, when she was around, I used to just say "I'm your present!" And she would always say, "Can I return it?" And of course I say, "All sales Final". Haha.

Some Mother's Day though, me and my siblings might pool together and get something for my mom, like jewelry or a couture brand like Chanel and Gucci. If not that, I sometimes take her out to dinner/meal and we just talk, which is nice. A one-on-one talk over a meal in a restaurant with your mom is a great experience.

sliceoftoast

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
In a Toaster
I normally get mother some of the wine she likes, or a voucher for her favourite store around town.

It puts a big smile on her face thats the main thing :)

ewout

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
I think no gift is better than your presence and care to her. Besides Mother's day, we should spare more time to accompany our mothers. :)

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My sister and I got my mom a gift certificate to her one of her favorite upscale restaurants.

Really presence is the thing that makes my mom most happy.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Paying a bill and treating to her favorite veggie restaurant is always a big hit here. Last year I did that and made her a second dinner at home. We watched a few of her favorite movies too.

She really does not want stuff and spending time with her means everything to the both of us.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
your heart & love!

If you can't think of ANYTHING to buy your mother, I say take her for a nice date, make her a special brunch, make a homemade card, bake her a cake, surprise her w/ flowers or edible arrangements, clean her house. :)

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My wife told me today that for Mother's day she wants me and our boys to take her to see the new Avengers movie. Win, Win! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.