Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the privacy of the voice control feature on the new iPad. The information is supposedly sent into apple and then the text back to the iPad user. I'm wondering how much apple keeps.

Example: could someone be convicted of a crime for something they said on the mic.

Obviously I don't plan to commit a crime, but just using that as an example, is privacy ripped from you in those regards with this feature?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the privacy of the voice control feature on the new iPad. The information is supposedly sent into apple and then the text back to the iPad user. I'm wondering how much apple keeps.

Example: could someone be convicted of a crime for something they said on the mic.

Obviously I don't plan to commit a crime, but just using that as an example, is privacy ripped from you in those regards with this feature?

If you're talking about siri, it's not included in the new iPad. It's on the newest iPhone. I doubt if Apple saves your queries. But it's not secure communication.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
If you're talking about siri, it's not included in the new iPad. It's on the newest iPhone. I doubt if Apple saves your queries. But it's not secure communication.

The technology is likely using the same parts of code Siri uses for voice recognition, but it's not Siri.

And yes, voice recognition is built into the new iPad. It's not an app: it is built in.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Absent any case history, I think if you are, hypothetically, going to commit a crime, then you would be wise not to dictate evidence of it into the iPad. But whether or not Apple keeps the data, for how long, and if the data is stored in such a way so that a particular bit of dictation can be traced to a particular user... there's a lot of variables we don't know, and I doubt Apple is about to disclose them, either. Also, legally speaking, I'm not sure if there's been any cases testing how much discretion law enforcement has in accessing such data, and what the proper procedure should be in obtaining clearance for accessing that kind of data. So I wouldn't be surprised if one day someone is arrested for a crime based on evidence found in Apple's Siri / dictation database, but at the same time, I expect such an arrest would trigger a long and convoluted legal fight over whether that violates civl rights.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Absent any case history, I think if you are, hypothetically, going to commit a crime, then you would be wise not to dictate evidence of it into the iPad. But whether or not Apple keeps the data, for how long, and if the data is stored in such a way so that a particular bit of dictation can be traced to a particular user... there's a lot of variables we don't know, and I doubt Apple is about to disclose them, either. Also, legally speaking, I'm not sure if there's been any cases testing how much discretion law enforcement has in accessing such data, and what the proper procedure should be in obtaining clearance for accessing that kind of data. So I wouldn't be surprised if one day someone is arrested for a crime based on evidence found in Apple's Siri / dictation database, but at the same time, I expect such an arrest would trigger a long and convoluted legal fight over whether that violates civl rights.

Good points, but if CISPA passes, they may become, as they say, moot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.