Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:19 AM   #1
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Home sharing

I have set up a nice little HP server at home running Windows and iTunes...enabled home sharing.

I would like to know if I can just watch the media shared on iOS devices without them entering my ID? IE, anyone with an iPhone that gets on my network can watch/listen to music/videos.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
PNutts
macrumors 601

Interesting. Everything I find on Apple's site talks about using the same Apple ID on each device to access Home Sharing so it appears the official answer is, "no". But there are some very creative people out there and you might get a different response.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:31 AM   #3
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Interesting. Everything I find on Apple's site talks about using the same Apple ID on each device to access Home Sharing so it appears the official answer is, "no". But there are some very creative people out there and you might get a different response.
Do you have any links to enable home sharing without using my ID?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

If you are looking to share the official way of iTunes on the network, then I am afraid its not at all possible.

If you want to share your other media (non-DRM) on same network, then of course you have many options.
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:09 AM   #5
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevRana View Post
If you are looking to share the official way of iTunes on the network, then I am afraid its not at all possible.

If you want to share your other media (non-DRM) on same network, then of course you have many options.
Thanks!

I know I can do it with Windows Home Sharing (or whatever it was called), but all I have is Apple devices now.

Also I can definitely mount the folders via SMB on the OS X machines, but it would be nice to do this on the mobile devices (ie just streaming).

Hate the fact that I can connect to the iTunes library without a password/login from a MacBook Pro but not an iOS device (without homesharing). Hope iOS6 has this feature.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier