Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.06.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.06.42 AM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,973

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I really hope they start offering major OSX updates for free like they do with major iOS updates... like how we didn't have to pay for iOS 4 or iOS 5, etc.

If they're bent on creating a similar platform between iOS and OSX, and also on releasing a new major OSX every year, then I think this would be the fairest and most logical thing to do: to offer Mountain Lion as a free update to those who have Lion.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 8.14.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 8.14.33 AM.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 2.36.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 2.36.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
There's one thing I have started to hate about Apple - Bad UI design.

I mean - we have great UI experts at Apple and some of the UI elements on OS X and iOS are just so bad-looking.

Just look at the volume bar or status bar on iOS, notification centre on iPad and OS X, now this switch button with the exact same UI from iOS, the whole final cut pro in helvetica.

There's something wrong going on in 1 Infinite Loop. Apple needs to come up with much more innovating and better looking UI designs even those these ones solve a purpose and do it just fine. It's all we Apple geeks have craved for years - great UI design and its implementation.
The only real issue I have with Apple's new GUIs is the amount of gray impeding on what used to be a colorful OS. That was certainly a harsh jump from Snow Leopard to Lion. Other than color, I don't really see a decline in GUI quality from Apple. I would certainly feel different if Apple's new OS booted up to a bunch of squares, however. *cough*Windows 8*cough*

Some pro-Apple people on this forum are seriously butthurt over any critical comments made. Sad thing, is they fail to understand that this is for our benefit as well as for Apple.

This was used to be a constructive forum - now its just people getting butthurt over any critical comments made on Apple or Apple products. Grow up.
Or perhaps they just disagree with you. After all, this is an Apple-oriented forum, so one could safely assume that most users on here enjoy the look and feel of Apple products.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008

Could u please post a preview where is lets say more windows from one app so we will see "ungrouped" windows ?:)

Thank you!

Looks like Apple is finally doing something with Mission Control, but the good old expose will be gone forever :|

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
There's one thing I have started to hate about Apple - Bad UI design.

I mean - we have great UI experts at Apple and some of the UI elements on OS X and iOS are just so bad-looking.

Just look at the volume bar or status bar on iOS, notification centre on iPad and OS X, now this switch button with the exact same UI from iOS, the whole final cut pro in helvetica.

There's something wrong going on in 1 Infinite Loop. Apple needs to come up with much more innovating and better looking UI designs even those these ones solve a purpose and do it just fine. It's all we Apple geeks have craved for years - great UI design and its implementation.

EDIT: Apple needs to fix the font in the notification centre on OS X- Helvetica is not suitable for low PPI displays running OS X and it looks crippled.

Yup I agree some of the UI choices in Mountain Lion I'm not loving, but it's still developer preview I'm sure Apple will make more refinements..

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
In safari the iCloud tab when click on is different than before

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.23.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.23.49 AM.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 128

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
seems like the same behavior that was in old Exposé just without the "grid" structure of spaces.

Awesome! :)

EDIT: Although I would have kind of liked it if they had implemented what I suggested here. I enjoy the fact that you can send entire applications to another space with the current Mission Control by grabbing the app's icon. It seems that that wouldn't be possible anymore once you disable grouping windows by application?!

Last edited:

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
The only real issue I have with Apple's new GUIs is the amount of gray impeding on what used to be a colorful OS. That was certainly a harsh jump from Snow Leopard to Lion. Other than color, I don't really see a decline in GUI quality from Apple. I would certainly feel different if Apple's new OS booted up to a bunch of squares, however. *cough*Windows 8*cough* (....)

I completely agree here with the lack of color. I really am disappointed in the lack of color in the finder window sidebar and other sidebars (such as in iTunes). Different colors and custom folder icons made it easy to navigate and find what I was looking for. Moreover, all that grey looks dull! I miss the colorful OS!

As for the giant toggle, well I kinda agree that it's not quite at its place in this "mouse pointer world". It should be "off" and "on" radio buttons really.
The only other place I remember seeing a toggle that also felt out of place, was in the Time Machine Preference Pane.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008

Yeah, Finally something that is ML worth to try for me - honestly I care about iCloud but it's not that important for me unless I have proper working environment and workflow. Smart move Apple, keep it going, and until a public release try to add (or rename) the checkbox to "Activate Expose/Spaces" + implement the old functionality ofc :)

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'm going to echo the greyscale complaints. The OS feels much less "friendly" with everything so grey. It looks more Adams Family than Apple.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Awesome! :)

EDIT: Although I would have kind of liked it if they had implemented what I suggested here. I enjoy the fact that you can send entire applications to another space with the current Mission Control by grabbing the app's icon. It seems that that wouldn't be possible anymore once you disable grouping windows by application?!

I am going to file a bug report with Apple and ask them to add the Cmd modifier to send all the application windows to another space, much like how Spaces in 10.5 and 10.6 worked.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
Watching Youtube videos in full screen.

when trying to watch youtube videos in full screen mode it looks like this. after you get out of full screen mode the video is gone but the audio is still playing. first bug i have found so far.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.49.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.49.45 AM.png
    811.2 KB · Views: 447
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.50.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 3.50.03 AM.png
    528.2 KB · Views: 208

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
seems like the same behavior that was in old Exposé just without the "grid" structure of spaces

That's what I was waiting for since 10.6...!
I'm buying ML as soon as it is available just for that one function.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I am going to file a bug report with Apple and ask them to add the Cmd modifier to send all the application windows to another space, much like how Spaces in 10.5 and 10.6 worked.

That would be great! I didn't even know about (or don't remember) that functionality in 10.5/6.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
That's what I was waiting for since 10.6...!
I'm buying ML as soon as it is available just for that one function.

Yea, Im still on 10.6, too and my only hope since dev version of Lion was to get back Expose.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
The only real issue I have with Apple's new GUIs is the amount of gray impeding on what used to be a colorful OS. That was certainly a harsh jump from Snow Leopard to Lion. Other than color, I don't really see a decline in GUI quality from Apple. I would certainly feel different if Apple's new OS booted up to a bunch of squares, however. *cough*Windows 8*cough*

Cough Windows 8 Cough. :D

Thats absolutely fine. I loved Snow Leopard and I love Lion. I'm liking Mountain Lion day by day. But that doesn't stop me hating some of the UI choices Apple has held on in iOS and OS X.

Or perhaps they just disagree with you. After all, this is an Apple-oriented forum, so one could safely assume that most users on here enjoy the look and feel of Apple products.

For some of the things, hey can disagree. But some of the UI is so hideous, that disagreeing without reasoning is just stupid.

Where do you want me to go and bitch about Apple UI design choices? Obviously on Apple forums right?

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
So happy to hear a more traditional Exposé is making a comeback.

Now reinstate 'Save As' and do away with this stupid 'Save a Version/Duplicate' crap and I'd upgrade from 10.6.8 in a heartbeat.

I've been using iWork for years and I see Auto Save and Versions as a very compelling reason to use Microsoft Office.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Yea, Im still on 10.6, too and my only hope since dev version of Lion was to get back Expose.

Expose in 10.6 is already wrong. Last really useful Expose was in 10.5. In 10.6 they added windows scaling, which is disorienting (big Safari window is displayed in the same size as little download window, making it hard to quickly find the one I'm looking for). Mission Control in Lion was in fact a step in right direction: windows aren't scaled any more. And now in ML it's back to the old, real Expose: not scaled windows, all visible at the same time.

Can't wait for the release!

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Now reinstate 'Save As' and do away with this stupid 'Save a Version/Duplicate' crap and I'd upgrade from 10.6.8 in a heartbeat.

I've been using iWork for years and I see Auto Save and Versions as a very compelling reason to use Microsoft Office.

Oh good, someone who has never used a feature commenting on how said feature should go away.

iWork's Auto Save is a compelling reason to use Office? Really?

You do realize how auto save works don't you? Oh right, you're still on 10.6.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.