I can't figure out what this is... - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 2, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1
iamjose
macrumors member

I can't figure out what this is...

I bought my iPad a couple of months ago at Best Buy (open item). Check out the two pictures below. I didn't notice this before but I was wondering what the heck this is. When the screen is clean (on or off), you cannot see it at all but when I was cleaning it (using the mouth-fog & tissue method) you can see this rectangle-looking smudge on it, as if a label was placed on it or something. I was thinking of cleaning it with some Windex or something but I didn't want to mess up the screen. Any ideas?

It doesnt bother me that much other than knowing it's there, but I would like to know what it is, if and how I can remove it, and if it will have any long term affect on my screen. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335935387.913525.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	338151

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335935348.520905.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	338150
iamjose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Kralledr
macrumors member

It Look like this antitheft Clips wich you find on iPad for Demonstation like in the Stores
Kralledr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralledr View Post
It Look like this antitheft Clips wich you find on iPad for Demonstation like in the Stores
Yeah... I'm not sure because it is not sticky to the touch. If that makes sense...
Old May 2, 2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Snesley Wipes
macrumors regular

Someone might've spilled a solvent like acetone or something on it. And maybe tried to rub it out and it left the smear.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:06 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

Whatever you do DON'T use Windex or any chemical compound on the screen..It does look like marks left behind by anti-theft clips...Probably how your unit ended up as open box. If it doesn't bother you too much I'd be inclined to leave it alone.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:56 AM   #6
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snesley Wipes View Post
Someone might've spilled a solvent like acetone or something on it. And maybe tried to rub it out and it left the smear.
Interesting... Are you familiar with acetone? Would this have any long term affect on the glass/screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Whatever you do DON'T use Windex or any chemical compound on the screen..It does look like marks left behind by anti-theft clips...Probably how your unit ended up as open box. If it doesn't bother you too much I'd be inclined to leave it alone.
Yeah I knew I was kinda taking a chance on an open box. I was hoping this could have fixed in someway, or if anyone would had seen something similar to this. I was even thinking about the stuff they use on cars, scratch doctor, crazy... I know.
Old May 2, 2012, 06:07 AM   #7
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Take it into an apple store and show them. See what they'll do for you.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:30 AM   #8
wrkactjob
Banned

I see the face of Jesus in that smudge.

eBay now, it could be worth a fortune.
wrkactjob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:10 PM   #9
klover
macrumors 6502a

I've seen this very thing on a first-gen iPad that I had. The section in question looked as if some of the optical coating (and/pr oleophobic coating) had either not been applied correctly or was worn off.

I also noticed that that section was not as smooth; I could tell there was more friction in that section while glidding a finger across the screen. It had absolutely no impact on usability or image quality however.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Abarth1200
macrumors regular

i cant see anything focused on in those photos, what am i looking at here
Abarth1200 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

I have a theory---

Knowing how anal Apple customers can be (myself included), I bet someone scratched their screen and tried to fix it with some kind of abrasive polish or some other chemical. When they ended up doing more damage than good, they returned the iPad.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:33 PM   #12
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth1200 View Post
i cant see anything focused on in those photos, what am i looking at here
The top photo is when the screen is clean and smudge-free. The second is when I apply some "mouth-fog" to the same location.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
I have a theory---

Knowing how anal Apple customers can be (myself included), I bet someone scratched their screen and tried to fix it with some kind of abrasive polish or some other chemical. When they ended up doing more damage than good, they returned the iPad.
That's possible... I wouldn't have even thought to look for it. It's not seen by the naked eye. So I'm sure some dude at Best Buy wouldn't have either. I guess just FYI if you are buying a open item at Best Buy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
It had absolutely no impact on usability or image quality however.
Well... that's good to hear.
Old May 6, 2012, 02:46 PM   #13
iamjose
macrumors member

Update: Took the iPad in to the Apple store. They also supposed some of the oleophobic rubbed off. Quick exchange. Love iCloud. Love Apple!
iamjose is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Ecoh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjose View Post
Update: Took the iPad in to the Apple store. They also supposed some of the oleophobic rubbed off. Quick exchange. Love iCloud. Love Apple!
This is really interesting, glad it worked out for you.

Now, I must try the "mouth-fog" test on my iPad !
Ecoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Matthew9559
macrumors 6502a

That's awesome that they took care of this small annoyance for you.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:17 PM   #16
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjose View Post
I bought my iPad a couple of months ago at Best Buy (open item). Check out the two pictures below. I didn't notice this before but I was wondering what the heck this is. When the screen is clean (on or off), you cannot see it at all but when I was cleaning it (using the mouth-fog & tissue method) you can see this rectangle-looking smudge on it, as if a label was placed on it or something. I was thinking of cleaning it with some Windex or something but I didn't want to mess up the screen. Any ideas?

It doesnt bother me that much other than knowing it's there, but I would like to know what it is, if and how I can remove it, and if it will have any long term affect on my screen. Thanks.

Attachment 338151

Attachment 338150
Looks to me that Oliophobic coating was removed from that one spot.
xraytech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:20 PM   #17
iamjose
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew9559 View Post
That's awesome that they took care of this small annoyance for you.
yeah... they were super cool about it. I just showed it to them and asked them what they thought about it and the guy instantly said "... that shouldn't be like that." and exchanged it. Cool guy at the Pasadena, CA store.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad