Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 1, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Do I have screen issues? iPad 3

I don't know if the screen on the new iPad is disappointing or if I have issues. I had one and took it back after 4 days as the screen had a dark brownish tinge to it. The new on is much better but still has a very subtle brownish tinge to the top of the screen. Also, the screen is nowhere near as bright as my iphone 4 or macbook pro, and the whites aren't as white as the iphone 4 or macbook pro.

Is it normal that the screen is not as bright and the white's not as white, or do I have an issue. The whole tint of the iPad seems to be different to the iphone 4 and MBP, with the ipad having a more brown/warmer tint and the iphone + MBP having a more blue/cooler tint.

I've been waiting over 18 months for an iPad with the retina display and have to say my initial reaction is that I'm disappointed. Although the resolution is excellent I'm disappointed in the brightness and tint. It's especially noticeable when I've been using my MBP or iphone for a while and then use the iPad, it's as though the iPad screen is dirty.

Cheers

Last edited by snerkler; May 1, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
snerkler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Trey1984
macrumors regular

Yes throw it away
Trey1984 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Stouver
macrumors member

If you read every second or third post on these boards you would see that most iPads come with awful defects and crappy screens.
Stouver is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouver View Post
If you read every second or third post on these boards you would see that most iPads come with awful defects and crappy screens.
What I'd like to know though is whether or not the iPad 3 screen is supposed to be as bright ans have the same tint as the iphone 4 and MBP or if it's normal/supposed to be like mine? If the iPads across the board aren't as bright and not the same tint then I could be searching for something that doesn't exist
snerkler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Stouver
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
What I'd like to know though is whether or not the iPad 3 screen is supposed to be as bright ans have the same tint as the iphone 4 and MBP or if it's normal/supposed to be like mine? If the iPads across the board aren't as bright and not the same tint then I could be searching for something that doesn't exist
My color was a bit "warmer" than other devices but it really didn't bother me at all. I can't really notice it anymore and I would suggest that you don't stress about it too hard, or you will end up one of those sad folk who returns 13 iPads.
Stouver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 03:38 AM   #6
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Just to show what I mean here's my iphone and iPad 3 side by side. I know the colour schemes are different but if you look at the whites on the iPad they look like they have a bown tint to me/faded. Both are on full brightness setting taken in daylight indoors.

Old May 2, 2012, 03:53 AM   #7
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Phone looks terribly blue and the carpet is kinda bad. The iPad is spot on.
brentsg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:00 AM   #8
Old Blue
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Phone looks terribly blue and the carpet is kinda bad. The iPad is spot on.
Yeah it looks like the carpet is faded in the lower left - I have it replaced until it looks right
Old Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Capt T
macrumors 6502a

iPad just has a warmer color temp than the iPhone. No issue, just how that screen was calibrated.
Capt T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:18 AM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Nope, looks fine just enjoy it.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:23 AM   #11
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Nope, looks fine just enjoy it.
Thanks for the clarification, as long as I know that's how it's supposed to look that's fine. I just expected it to be the same as the iphone, so when it was different I worried it was faulty
Old May 2, 2012, 06:37 AM   #12
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
You can not compare your iPad to your phone or laptop. They will be different.

If you have already replaced your iPad and it, too, has what you think is a dark brown tinge, it could be that it is not the screen.

I know people here feel that they all deserve a PERFECT device but in the real world of electronics every screen will differ and each owner will "perceive" different things. There are thousands of threads on this subject and it all breaks down to if you can't stand it, trade it in for another.
NewtonApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:14 AM   #13
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Why cant apple just release a screen calibration APP so everyone can fine tune to their needs.

Think of how much money in refurb/return shipping they would save.

As a shareholder, I would appreciate and end to all of this screen strife.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:27 AM   #14
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonApple View Post
You can not compare your iPad to your phone or laptop. They will be different.

If you have already replaced your iPad and it, too, has what you think is a dark brown tinge, it could be that it is not the screen.

I know people here feel that they all deserve a PERFECT device but in the real world of electronics every screen will differ and each owner will "perceive" different things. There are thousands of threads on this subject and it all breaks down to if you can't stand it, trade it in for another.
I agree with what you are saying, and now that I'm informed it's normal I'm happy with that.
Unfortunately due to my issues with the first one, which did have really dark patches and was uneven, I scrutinised this one and made myself paranoid

Obviously everyone is different but I have to say I prefer the whiter whites of the iPhone, but maybe I will change my mind the more I use the iPad. Perhaps I will start to think the iPhone is too blue as mentioned already above
Old May 2, 2012, 07:44 AM   #15
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying, and now that I'm informed it's normal I'm happy with that.
Unfortunately due to my issues with the first one, which did have really dark patches and was uneven, I scrutinised this one and made myself paranoid

Obviously everyone is different but I have to say I prefer the whiter whites of the iPhone, but maybe I will change my mind the more I use the iPad. Perhaps I will start to think the iPhone is too blue as mentioned already above
Sounds like you will do fine. It is the backlighting LEDs. Some are warmer while other are blue/cold. Some like it and some do not. It is just the way it is.

Hope you enjoy your iPad, they are great!
NewtonApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 11:01 AM   #16
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Well after getting a couple of negative comments from colleagues about the screen I decided to put my mind at rest I'd go to my local electrical store and compare my iPad to some others. Mine was definitely different to the others, less bright and browner. So I booked an appointment at my local apple store and off I went. As soon as I turned mine on the guy said "that's not right", and when we put it next to one in store there was a marked difference. The Apple guy also pointed out how poor the viewing angle was on mine. So he swapped it and we checked the new one out before I left the store. The new one is great, and I'm much happier with it. I can get on with enjoying my iPad now and stop worrying.
For interest here's the new one side by side with my iPhone.

This was the old one. Admittedly the ambient light is a bit difference but I still think it shows the difference.
snerkler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 11:11 AM   #17
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

Shame on all the people who said the screen on the first iPad you had was fine...typical MR/Apple apologists.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

Snerkler, the above photos are THE definitive response to the hundreds of posts here on MacForums and the 58 page thread on the Apple Discussion forum.

It is said that pictures speak louder than words! They literally screamed!

While they do not address the pink/green issues that many have spoken of, they do indeed prove that one does not have to accept the muddy brownish yellow screens that Apple is producing!

Kudos to you for following your instincts!
Tikatika is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:05 PM   #19
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikatika View Post
Snerkler, the above photos are THE definitive response to the hundreds of posts here on MacForums and the 58 page thread on the Apple Discussion forum.

It is said that pictures speak louder than words! They literally screamed!

While they do not address the pink/green issues that many have spoken of, they do indeed prove that one does not have to accept the muddy brownish yellow screens that Apple is producing!

Kudos to you for following your instincts!
Thanks, I guess it pays to be picky sometimes. I was starting to think I was hallucinating it
snerkler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #20
master-ceo
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well after getting a couple of negative comments from colleagues about the screen I decided to put my mind at rest I'd go to my local electrical store and compare my iPad to some others. Mine was definitely different to the others, less bright and browner. So I booked an appointment at my local apple store and off I went. As soon as I turned mine on the guy said "that's not right", and when we put it next to one in store there was a marked difference. The Apple guy also pointed out how poor the viewing angle was on mine. So he swapped it and we checked the new one out before I left the store. The new one is great, and I'm much happier with it. I can get on with enjoying my iPad now and stop worrying.
For interest here's the new one side by side with my iPhone.

This was the old one. Admittedly the ambient light is a bit difference but I still think it shows the difference.
So glad you exchanged that iPad. That first iPad was yellow and looked dull.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:50 PM   #21
vjacques
macrumors member

i think it's time for the "looks fine just enjoy it" crowd to admit the problems with their own screens. come on, guys, we won't judge you with anxiety disorders and mental illnesses.
vjacques is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #22
rz-jacks
macrumors member

Wow the new one looks like its supposed to. I'm so glad you found a good one. It looks perfect. What's the production week and or serial number on that?
rz-jacks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:57 PM   #23
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Just to show what I mean here's my iphone and iPad 3 side by side. I know the colour schemes are different but if you look at the whites on the iPad they look like they have a bown tint to me/faded. Both are on full brightness setting taken in daylight indoors.

I really don't see the problem here.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:19 PM   #24
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

It was obviously yellow, and the NEW one has a normal screen indeed. Congrats!!!
Old May 2, 2012, 01:44 PM   #25
VFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonApple View Post
.... It is the backlighting LEDs. Some are warmer while other are blue/cold.....
Why are they different from one iPad to another?
VFC is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad