Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
yes that would be internal... along with siri.. Unless she is floating on the outside of the phone she is internal..

Well you say that the 5s or whatever it will be called will be an internal upgrade, so you think that the iPhone 5 will just look different from the outside but be the same as the 4 inside?
I will answer that...
Of course not apple must do the "internal" upgrade this year and leave the fancy features for the one after the 5

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Well you say that the 5s or whatever it will be called will be an internal upgrade, so you think that the iPhone 5 will just look different from the outside but be the same as the 4 inside?
I will answer that...
Of course not apple must do the "internal" upgrade this year and leave the fancy features for the one after the 5

i thought I've been over this...
The 4s was the internal upgrade of the 4....
the 5 will be different. look at the past 4 phones

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
obsolete in who's eyes? in mine they all will be if they change the design for the better. The 3gs i would never even consider anymore.

The 3GS is at this time (4 and 4S) still a valiable iPhone because it still can run iOS 5.1.

It's not a vailable iPhone if you need to buy right at this moment (12h45 CET on 02-05-2012 (dd-mm-yyyy)) a new one, because once the iPhone 5 will have arrived, some features (software wise) will not be supported on the 3GS anymore (iOS6 comes to mind).

So Apple Inc supports at this moment 3 generations of iPhones at the same time.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The 3GS is at this time (4 and 4S) still a valiable iPhone because it still can run iOS 5.1.

It's not a vailable iPhone if you need to buy right at this moment (12h45 CET on 02-05-2012 (dd-mm-yyyy)) a new one, because once the iPhone 5 will have arrived, some features (software wise) will not be supported on the 3GS anymore (iOS6 comes to mind).

So Apple Inc supports at this moment 3 generations of iPhones at the same time.

yes i understand that. but to ME i tend to get the latest and greatest. i passed on the 4s i was a bit disappointed by that launch so i passed it up.
Im saying i would never go back to a 3gs if i even lost my phone and couldn't get a newer one. Its obsolete to ME.
To a normal person they could care less they would love a 3gs...

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
i thought I've been over this...
The 4s was the internal upgrade of the 4....
the 5 will be different. look at the past 4 phones

Ok let's take the 3G for example

How do you know the transition from 4s to 5 won't be like the 1G to 3G?
it hardly had any new fancy features it's main selling point was the 3G speed

Apple did not add many fancy features to the 3 because of the 3G speed upgrade, if they would have also crammed it with as many new features as the 4 then it would have been too expensive for the general public to afford

However because 4G LTE was not available for the iPhone 4, apple done the cramming scenario so the phone will be worth the price

This year i think will be similar to the 3g as I don't think the 5 will have as many features as the 4 did because the money spent for these fancy features are going towards 4g LTE, that is unless you want apple to sell a 1000 dollar plus iPhone which no one will buy

Last edited:

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Ok let's take the 3G for example

How do you know the transition from 4s to 5 won't be like the 2g to 3G?
it hardly had any new fancy features it's main selling point was the 3G speed

There never was a "2G".

The iPhones have been 1, 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S.

Edit:
The only difference between the "1" and the "3G" was that the latter had 3g.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
There never was a "2G".

The iPhones have been 1, 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S.

Edit:
The only difference between the "1" and the "3G" was that the latter had 3g.
Lol sorry I see some sites calling it 2g lol

----------

I edited my last point to make it clearer to why I believe the transition to 5 will be like the transition to 3G.

It is common sense ;)

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
If we leave the "iPhone 1" out of the equation, because it's the start of a new line.
than we know this:

- iPhone 3G = CPU ARM 1176JZ, DRAM 128 MB, GPU MBX 103Mhz, form: rounded plastic back
- iPhone 3GS = CPU ARM Cortex A8, DRAM 256 MB, GPU X535 150Mhz, form: identical to 3G
- iPhone 4 = CPU Apple A4, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X535 200Mhz, form: straight glass back
- iPhone 4S = CPU Apple A5, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X543MP2 200Mhz, form: identical to 4

So based on the last previous models, we see that the hardware changes with every model, but that the exterior follows a two-year cycle.

The educated guess would be that there will be new hardware AND a new exterior. How, what, where...we don't know until the "iPhone 5" is released.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
If we leave the "iPhone 1" out of the equation, because it's the start of a new line.
than we know this:

- iPhone 3G = CPU ARM 1176JZ, DRAM 128 MB, GPU MBX 103Mhz, form: rounded plastic back
- iPhone 3GS = CPU ARM Cortex A8, DRAM 256 MB, GPU X535 150Mhz, form: identical to 3G
- iPhone 4 = CPU Apple A4, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X535 200Mhz, form: straight glass back
- iPhone 4S = CPU Apple A5, DRAM 512 MB, GPU X543MP2 200Mhz, form: identical to 4

So based on the last previous models, we see that the hardware changes with every model, but that the exterior follows a two-year cycle.

The educated guess would be that there will be new hardware AND a new exterior. How, what, where...we don't know until the "iPhone 5" is released.

No doubt I think the hardware will change but I do not think we will have any over the top features like how the 4 had FaceTime, front camera or retina.

I don't think apple has yet to introduce any over the top exclusive features more than what the 4s has because they were only introduced less than a year ago. Not much could have changed besides minor tweaks

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I envy the OP getting in on the S model. I'm really tempted to skip this year's upgrade and wait for next year. If I skip, apple will have had time to work out any kinks in the design (I still remember the iphone 4's antenna furor on the boards) and see how the jb community is doing with the new jb. Waiting for the jb was a big annoyance.
The main reason to upgrade this year would be for the new design, along with lte. If apple actually increased the screen size, I'd have to reconsider and do some one handed fondling. Stubby fingers don't work well with large screens.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
No doubt I think the hardware will change but I do not think we will have any over the top features like how the 4 had FaceTime, front camera or retina.

I don't think apple has yet to introduce any over the top exclusive features more than what the 4s has because they were only introduced less than a year ago. Not much could have changed besides minor tweaks

It's a smartPHONE!

Its primairly tasks are phoning, texting, surfing the web, videoconference and taking pictures. Beside that you can also use it as a very good media-player (music, movies and games).

I've got the full iWork and iLife installed, but I'm not really going to type a complete thesis on it or do some high-level movie-editing.

The 4S already got two cameras, voice reconnition, touchscreen and so on.
Do not expect life-changing new features, just expect a constant improvement of technology, exterior and software with every new cycle.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
It's a smartPHONE!

Its primairly tasks are phoning, texting, surfing the web, videoconference and taking pictures. Beside that you can also use it as a very good media-player (music, movies and games).

I've got the full iWork and iLife installed, but I'm not really going to type a complete thesis on it or do some high-level movie-editing.

The 4S already got two cameras, voice reconnition, touchscreen and so on.
Do not expect life-changing new features, just expect a constant improvement of technology, exterior and software with every new cycle.

So you agree with me?

Also
What I like us that the software can work on the 4s and 4 :)

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
God I hope they come up with better "exclusive features" the FaceTime and Siri!!

FaceTime requires wifi without jailbreak. And Siri is all but useless (my opinion).

I need hardware!! Come on the 4 would have come out the same time as the LTE thunderbolt if it wasn't delayed a month. Now idevices are getting this technology that I've been using for over a year! That's innovation? Dated hardware and restrictive software.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Or IF they could do it :D

IMO I really think the reason the 4 was "ahead of its time" was because LTE was not available yet so apple had to cram in some goodies that will persuade the customer. But now that LTE is all set apple just have to tweak a bit of the internals and slap on a new design look and they are good to go. That's why I think it will be a 2g to 3G like transition and since the 4s is selling pretty good til now I don't think apple feel its a must to spend money on over the top features which will cost the customer more. Which is a good business view. They can still milk out the 4s features on the 5.

Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. They have an incredibly strong-selling line. They did three generations with the OG/3G/3GS design, I don't see why they couldn't pull off three generations of the 4/4s/4G.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
God I hope they come up with better "exclusive features" the FaceTime and Siri!!

FaceTime requires wifi without jailbreak. And Siri is all but useless (my opinion).

I need hardware!! Come on the 4 would have come out the same time as the LTE thunderbolt if it wasn't delayed a month. Now idevices are getting this technology that I've been using for over a year! That's innovation? Dated hardware and restrictive software.

I don't think you should be expecting a FaceTime or Siri like exclusive feature in the 5 as I am almost certain the selling point will be around the 4G LTE and bigger screen

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think you should be expecting a FaceTime or Siri like exclusive feature in the 5 as I am almost certain the selling point will be around the 4G LTE and bigger screen

That's exactly what I expect.

IMHO ... 75% chance of LTE and 90% chance of bigger screen.

I expect the CPU/GPU/camera/etc: to have the same specs.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If the screen gets bigger the resolution will need to increase right? If not it won't look as nice. If the resolution increases won't the CPU/gpu need to get better? If not won't performance degrade?

Or am I incorrect saying this?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
If the screen gets bigger the resolution will need to increase right? If not it won't look as nice. If the resolution increases won't the CPU/gpu need to get better? If not won't performance degrade?

Yes to all those. They will have a better chip no matter what. If the screen increaseases the resolution will be different than current. Same thing happened with the new iPad and when the iPhone went retina on the 4.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

Their resolution density is so far above what most other phones have, that a 4" screen at current resolution would be no problem, except for UI elements all becoming physically different sizes, which would wreak havoc for developers.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Their resolution density is so far above what most other phones have, that a 4" screen at current resolution would be no problem, except for UI elements all becoming physically different sizes, which would wreak havoc for developers.

They have put up with this "havoc" on the new iPad. And also when the iPhone 4 came out. Definitely possible to do it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.