Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I'm not sure what I need.

I bought a mac mini awhile ago and ended up returning it to get a 11" MBA.

I'm now considering a mac mini or an iMac, but I'm not sure which I should get.

I'd like to download 100 or so DVDs and another 100 or so CDs. I'm also planning in the future to have lots of pics and videos (got a baby on the way).

Which would be better for my needs? I don't have a seperate monitor. I'd have to buy one or remote in from my MBA.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
If you don't have a monitor, then the iMac is probably a better choice. By the time you buy even the entry level Mac Mini ($600), a decent monitor ($200), apple keyboard and mouse ($150), upgrade the RAM ($40) you are already to the price of an entry level Refurbished iMac and the Mac Mini setup won't even be as fast as the iMac (slower hard drive, dual core vs quad core, integrated graphics vs discrete). The Mac Mini does give you flexibility once you buy everything, you only need to upgrade the Mini itself, unlike the iMac you end up buying everything again. As long as you can deal with a glossy screen, for you I'd go with an iMac.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
The iMac is probably the better choice for you if you don't have the money/don't want to get the Thunderbolt Display. The quality of the IPS panel in all current iMacs is simply unmatched by any cheap monitor out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.