Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
As long as Spotify requires a Facebook account to work, they can go **** themselves. Not getting a FB for some lousy music rental service.

It doesn't require one to work, it works perfectly well without one.

However if you have one, you can use it to sign up more easily and share playlists & tracks with friends if you want. This can easily be switched off if you're not interested though.

And relax.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
I use Spotify and love it. The last album I got off iTunes was Adele and that's only because her latest album wasn't on Spotify. Question for the audiophiles here: the stream setting of 'extreme', what is that equivalent to?

Its equivalent to 320kbps. :)

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
It doesn't require one to work, it works perfectly well without one.

However if you have one, you can use it to sign up more easily and share playlists & tracks with friends if you want. This can easily be switched off if you're not interested though.

And relax.

Yeah, its a bit of a limiting factor as a lot of the social aspects of the application are purely linked in to Facebook, but Facebook is not mandatory for Spotify.

I use Spotify about 40-50hrs a week, majority in work, got it running pretty much all day in the office.

£9.99 for that is a frickin bargain. Its allowed me to discover multiple new artists (new to me that is, majority of them being older artists) and the playlists updating so that I get the same playlists on multiple machines is superb as well.

It is missing some music, but the fact that my starred playlist is about 200-300 songs and I've still not got all my favourites in there speaks volumes.

Looking forward to getting the iPad app.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
As long as Spotify requires a Facebook account to work, they can go **** themselves. Not getting a FB for some lousy music rental service.
You don't need a Facebook account to have it work... I use spotify and I don't have a Facebook...

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Or you could spend $9.99 on an album of an artist you like and add it to your collection permanently.

Or you could spend $10 a month and have access to their entire library, find songs, note them, and THEN go buy the album if you like enough of them.

HOW DARE THESE PEOPLE ALLOW US TO HAVE MORE OPTIONS! Their model is dumb and they should feel bad, competition is awful, only iTunes should be allowed to exist!

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Or you could spend $9.99 on an album of an artist you like and add it to your collection permanently.

You could do that. I was skeptical about Spotify (I am a classic buff) but after seeing the amount of classical albums (more than 10 complete recordings of Wagner's Ring for example) I was sold. I have a AV receiver at home that is connected to the AppleTV to stream Spotify (has AirPlay as well but seems less reliable). Now I have basically a whole CD shop at my hands.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Given that the record labels have demonstrated a willingness to make their content available this way, I'm surprised Apple still has not made a subscription option available -- all you can eat on every device for $9.99 a month.

Same with movies and TV shows.

But everyone here has made it clear that no one in the entire world should ever use a subscription service because they're dumb dumb dumb.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
I'm reposting what I wrote several days ago.....

A few weeks ago, there were a rumor going around that Apple would launch a Spotify-like service. It turned out to be false alarm. But it's just a matter of WHEN not IF when Apple launch it (iStream perhap?).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/03/19/businessinsiderthe-big-rumor-at-sxs.DTL

At the SXSW Music show this year, people are buzzing that Apple is getting close to launching a subscription music service to take on Spotify.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2012/120315latest2

And of all the rumors floating around, this has to be the juiciest: executives keep pointing to a possible on-demand streaming service ahead from Apple, including a tight tie-in with iCloud and iMatch. That would present a huge problem to players like Rhapsody and Spotify, though Apple is playing it characteristically mum. "Apple doesn't like to lose in any category, they like to dominate," one executive noted.

why is it likely?

Spotify success: It grew from 1 million to 3 million paid subscribers in a space of ~10 months (March 2011 to Jan 2012). It is expected/projected to make $889 million in revenue in 2012. (2011 revenue was $249.1 million).

January, 2010:------------ 250,000 paid subscribers
March 17, 2010:----------- 320,000
July 20, 2010: ---------------- 500,000
December 8, 2010: ------ 750,000
March 8, 2011:--------------- 1,000,000
July 14, 2011: -----------------1,600,000
Sept 21, 2011: ---------------- 2,000,000
Nov 23, 2011: ------------------2,500,000
Jan 26, 2012: -------------------3,000,000

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/13/spotify-revenues-idUSL6E8FD0FE20120413

(Reuters) - Digital music streaming service Spotify may see revenues top 6 billion Swedish crowns ($889 million) this year as it pushes ahead with its rapid expansion on both sides of the Atlantic, founder Daniel Ek said in a newspaper interview on Friday.

Revenues, 2011: $249.1 million
Revenues, 2012 (projected): $889 million USD

That's A LOT of growth right there.

In addition,

Spotify already overtook Itunes in Sweden (84% to 16%, (Norway too if I remember correctly) and Spain.

It is on track to overtake Itunes in France within 18 months.

All the more reasons why it's a safe bet that Apple is working on a Spotify-Like Service.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
But everyone here has made it clear that no one in the entire world should ever use a subscription service because they're dumb dumb dumb.

You're right. Subscriptions, monthly fees. Only idiots use them.

I don't think anyone pays a monthly fee for their TV service. Everyone buys DVDs of shows they watch. :rolleyes:

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
why rent, when you can own

spotify is just a slightly better version of Rhapsody

none of these streaming services pay out artists unless you're getting millions of spins

the only way for musicians to make money these days is to tour

the best thing about my iTunes library is that I'm not interrupted by advertisements every other time I click on a song...

Because not everyone can afford to spend $1k a month on every piece of music they want. And even if I could, I wouldn't. Why spend, hell, I'll say $11 to own music when I can spend $10 to listen to a nigh-infinite amount of songs? If I find some songs I really like I'll go to iTunes or Amazon and buy just that song for $1, or if I really like 90% of an album, I'll buy it.

Spotify is the test drive you take before dumping a huge amount of money on a car.

It genuinely confuses me that so many people here are unable to understand this incredibly simple concept.

I'll just wait for Apple to come out with a streaming service that does the exact same thing, then you'll say it's magical and amazing and the best thing ever.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009

No it doesn't. Jesus christ. It's an option, get over it. :rolleyes:

Actually, you are half-wrong Tunster. It does require Facebook to signup through the app. There is no signup option in the app itself, so the only other option is Facebook login.

You can make it on their website though, but it is currently down, so it is technically still true that you don't need Facebook.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012

I don't think anyone pays a monthly fee for their TV service. Everyone buys DVDs of shows they watch. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm familiar with it, but I take it Satellite or Cable TV is free in the states?

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Because not everyone can afford to spend $1k a month on every piece of music they want. And even if I could, I wouldn't. Why spend, hell, I'll say $11 to own music when I can spend $10 to listen to a nigh-infinite amount of songs? If I find some songs I really like I'll go to iTunes or Amazon and buy just that song for $1, or if I really like 90% of an album, I'll buy it.

Spotify is the test drive you take before dumping a huge amount of money on a car.

It genuinely confuses me that so many people here are unable to understand this incredibly simple concept.

I'll just wait for Apple to come out with a streaming service that does the exact same thing, then you'll say it's magical and amazing and the best thing ever.

I used to buy CDs but my wife increasingly resists as one wall is already taken by CDs. She hates it , I love it - oh well. But space is an issue and if I can have a complete CD store without any space - great. And its also nice to browse and find new stuff. You listen to a recording where you like the orchestra and than you can go and explore what else they recorded and find new gems. I would say I now listen 50% SF, 30% CD and 20% iTunes. It used to be 100% CDs...

----------

Actually, you are half-wrong Tunster. It does require Facebook to signup through the app. There is no signup option in the app itself, so the only other option is Facebook login.

You can make it on their website though, but it is currently down, so it is technically still true that you don't need Facebook.

If won sign up through the web there is no FB required.

----------

Not that I'm familiar with it, but I take it Satellite or Cable TV is free in the states?

LOL. Good one. You are joking, right?

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012

Or renting a cable box, or modem, or leasing a car, or renting a car, or renting an apartment (those dumb college kids, just buy a house!).

:)

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
none of these streaming services pay out artists unless you're getting millions of spins

the only way for musicians to make money these days is to tour

Spotify pays about $0.005 per stream (on average).
Itunes pays $0.903 per song purchased (at $1.29)

181 streams = 1 downloads
181,000 streams = 1,000 downloads
181,000,000 streams = 1,000,000 downloads

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Spotify pays about $0.005 per stream (on average).
Itunes pays $0.903 per song purchased (at $1.29)

181 streams = 1 downloads
181,000 streams = 1,000 downloads
181,000,000 streams = 1,000,000 downloads

iTunes pays $0.903 per song to the ARTIST?

30 seconds of google searching shows that your claim is utter crap. Unless you're an indie artist, at least half of the profit goes directly to the label artists are signed under.

Do research before you make you outrageous claims.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
iTunes pays $0.903 per song to the ARTIST?

30 seconds of google searching shows that your claim is utter crap. Unless you're an indie artist, at least half of the profit goes directly to the label artists are signed under.

Do research before you make you outrageous claims.

I never said "ARTIST"

I said Itunes pays and Spotify pays.

Of that money ($0.903 and ~$0.005 per stream) will be divided:

1) record labels
2) artists
3) song publishers/writers

depending on their contracts.

For indie artists who are their own record labels and song publisher/writers, they get the whole amount (well not quite the whole amount since distributors/aggregators like CDBaby, Tunecore etc.. also take a cut). An indie can't upload directly to Itunes (has to pay an distributor/aggregator for that).

Anyway, my point is that 1 download = 181 Spotify streams.

With scale, Spotify will be good for the music industry.

January, 2010:------------ 250,000 paid subscribers
March 17, 2010:----------- 320,000
July 20, 2010: ---------------- 500,000
December 8, 2010: ------ 750,000
March 8, 2011:--------------- 1,000,000
July 14, 2011: -----------------1,600,000
Sept 21, 2011: ---------------- 2,000,000
Nov 23, 2011: ------------------2,500,000
Jan 26, 2012: -------------------3,000,000 paid subscribers

2011 revenue: $241 mil
2012 projected: $889 mil

Subscription music will overtake Itunes in about 4-5 years.

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Exactly, didn't you know everything is free in the land of the FREE.

And, if it's for free people still bitch, instead of making the choice that is good for them.

Also, most Americans do not look past their borders.

Spotify has great old out of print music gems which are hard to find. You can sometimes hear the crackle of the vinyl version as that was all that was available at the time.

Why bash it?

If it's not for you, get something else.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Spotify is a godsend in our house. My wife and I are always listening for new stuff. For $9.99 a month we can listen to whatever, whenever. In the last month, we would have had to spend over $150 on cds/downloads to compensate for the playlists we created on Spotify. It's been great to share new stuff with our friends as well.

For us and our listening habits, Spotify is the only way to go.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK

There's no sign-up option, you are right but you can sign up on the website and get back to your iPad app and login outside of FB. I know it requires multiple steps but if you really wanted to try it out, you can and not get anywhere near Facebook.

EDIT: In fact having spent the whole of yesterday trying to find work-arounds, I can report that in the UK at least, unless you have a FB account, you are told you have to wait for the service to launch in your country! Clearly a 'faulty' step to trip the vast majority of the public who don't know about such things.

Last edited:

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
It's amazing how much Hate Spotify generates from those who don't use it.

Spotify is probably the greatest thing to happen to music since itunes.

If you hate spotify you probably think the ipad is just a big iphone...you just dont get it. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.