Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truthiness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Anyone else notice that it takes forever to load URL's after clicking on a link within the FB app on the iPad? Is this an app issue? I always click on open in safari because I get tired of waiting for FB to do its thing.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Yes, it's because the Facebook app sucks. Pretty sure the lag is due to FB being busy gathering data about you and the link you chose, bundling it together and passing it on to whoever they're selling it to, or something along those lines, before pulling in the appropriate page and packaging it for viewing within the FB app. Sounds paranoid, but FB is massively successful company for one reason: they know how to skim data and sell it very, very well.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I sort of hate FB for iPhone and iPad. Links load REALLY slowly, and when it says you have a new message or notification, you often have to open the little window and then manually refresh it by dragging down to see what the ACTUAL new message is.

It seems like once you give the app a little time to load everything up, it starts working better, but I tend to go to the actual web more to access FB. You can even just make a shortcut to it on your home screen.

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
yup. even happens when I'm simply trying to look at people's profiles. Like a 30 -60 sec lag

truthiness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Yes, it's because the Facebook app sucks. Pretty sure the lag is due to FB being busy gathering data about you and the link you chose, bundling it together and passing it on to whoever they're selling it to, or something along those lines, before pulling in the appropriate page and packaging it for viewing within the FB app. Sounds paranoid, but FB is massively successful company for one reason: they know how to skim data and sell it very, very well.

Well, if they did it 'very, very well' they'd do it a lot quicker! :)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
i gave up on the ipad fb app. just use safari to surf fb :cool:

I use Safari for it on my iPad. I still TRY to use the app on my phone. It seems to be better fit the smaller screen.

However, like the OP I use the "open in Safari" option for links. Especially YouTube videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.