Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
i have an iPad 16 GB and a iPhone 64 GB.

but their still not big enough (obviously my iPad) to hold my music.

i have bout 80 GB of music and it grows everyday.

i don't have a classic iPod yet, but i do need one for music.

when do u guys think it'll be obsolete? take in the fact that iTouch/iPad/iPhone takes hard disk space by getting apps and movies and such.

i think iPad will have to at least reach 250 GB and the iPhone/iTouch would need to reach 180-200.

even then i wouldn't know, because i get at least 40gigs of apps and if u would count movies oh my.

i have a go flex satellite for my movies, but that hard drive isn't too ideal for iPhones, as id want to be using the 3G while I'm playing my music.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
I doubt it will be obsolete anytime soon. I actually have two iPod Classics, because I have over 250GB of music. I hope Apple releases a iPod with a huge capacity soon.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I doubt it will be obsolete anytime soon. I actually have two iPod Classics, because I have over 250GB of music. I hope Apple releases a iPod with a huge capacity soon.

I'm not going to judge your MASSIVE collection of music, but you can't tell anyone that you listen to all 250GB of it on a weekly or monthly basis for that matter.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I'm not going to judge your MASSIVE collection of music, but you can't tell anyone that you listen to all 250GB of it on a weekly or monthly basis for that matter.
Maybe on a yearly basis? :D Actually if you use smartplaylists it is possible to rotate through your music collection, even larger ones. It's also possible to manage it on smaller devices in this way as well.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Got a large iTunes library from all the CDs I bought back in the day (they still sell CDs now?) and if I lumped it all on one device it would be too big for the classic.

Since getting an iPhone 3G and moving on to the current iPhone 4 I've been a big fan of using smart playlists or playlists in general. Top Rated music being probably the most used. I know if I've taken the time to rate something 4 or 5 stars then I won't mind that on shuffle.

Used to have an 80GB classic and filled it and I'd have to skip tracks like crazy to get to something I wanted. Don't get that problem anymore.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
Having it already on one device sure is a lot easier than rotating music on/off it to have the tunes he wants available though, isn't it ?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
OP, use iTunes Match so you can stream all your music whenever you want. It works really well although it can tear through your mobile data plan pretty fast.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
That's the point, right?

People could listen to portable music for a really long time. I thought the big sell of the iPod was that you could take your entire music collection with you...

To be honest, Apple's entire flash SSD approach just doesn't make sense because of the iTunes store - they want us to buy and watch movies, television, HD stuff, zillions of apps and games, right? (I even occasionally watch a movie on my iPod Nano, but it's not easy.)

So where are we supposed to put that stuff?

If they even would just allow a portable external drive...

But I think it's pretty obvious that they'll likely kill off the iPod classic as soon as iPod Touches finally hit 256 GB.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
People could listen to portable music for a really long time. I thought the big sell of the iPod was that you could take your entire music collection with you...
No. The original iPod was a mere 5GB, it was only meant for syncing selections, playlists. It took a few generations to get comfortable amount of storage.

roto1231

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
USA
I have an 80GB iPod Classic that primarily sayed in the car hooked to the kit I had installed into the car so I was able to take my music with me everywhere I drove or if I wasn't able to find a decent radio station. This was before I had my iPhone. Now if it is the case of not finding radio station I'll stream Pandora, or just pull from my music what is stored on the cloud with iTunes match. I think that is the direction that Apple is going when it comes to things. But, there is always the possibility of not having adequite service in the area which you reside or traveling through. I think the classic iPod is one of those devices that will always have a market even though it is becoming more of a niche' product which is interesting because it is the "1000 songs in your pocket" that started the whole "revolution" with Apple and how the world saw music.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
But how many songs could you get in 5gb of space ? Mind you, 128k was probably the common bitrate too, certainly not lossless, for example.

128kbps data rate? Is exactly half of 256kbps data rate of standard iTunes AAC today.

So it would be equivalent of a 10GB device today. The SSD iPods easily surpass this.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV

I only have about 60GB of music, but it's great having options. There's stuff on my iPod I would never listen to by choice, but if I go to parties, pool days, or I'm hanging out with friends, I like to have a choice of music for them to listen to as well. Not all my friends like what I want to listen to all the time and I'm OK with that because hanging out with a bunch of clones would be boring.

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012

I listen to a lot of music and it has become a part of me. The size of my music does not necessarily mean I have a lot of music, it's just that all of my music is in the best possible quality, and that takes up a lot of space.

Definitely not daily or weekly, but I listen to more than half of the albums I have monthly. :)

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Cloud storage and streaming just doesn't work for me. I learned this lesson with the Kindle Fire.

I want access to the TV, movies, videos, music and audiobooks when the mood hits me. Companies want to sell us on cloud services. But there are just too many times when I am without Internet. And those are the times when I NEED my content most.

I just purchased a classic and am loving it. Audiobooks are what drove me to buy one. I got sick of wanting to listen to a specific book, only to have to dig thru several devices to see if it was available. And if it wasn't, well then I had to find a wifi hotspot or sync with my Mac mini. Syncing/downloading a book can take upwards of a half hour or more. Just not for me.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it will be anytime soon. Well I hope it doesn't. Look, all this cloud stuff is cool and all for convenience but if you're not into that that stuff, the iPod Classic is still the best music player. The question of do you listen to all 160GB is irrelevant, it's about the ability to store and use your iPod in different environments.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
i don't have a classic iPod yet, but i do need one for music.

when do u guys think it'll be obsolete? take in the fact that iTouch/iPad/iPhone takes hard disk space by getting apps and movies and such.
It'll become obsolete when it can't do what it was designed to do.

Things that could make it obsolete:
  • The battery needs replacement and you can no longer get a replacement battery.
  • Not being able to play new music because it's in an unsupported format (for the iPod) and can't be automatically converted.
  • When you can no longer sync music to it with a computer you own.
Basically it will be a while before it's obsolete.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

Why would you ever not want to carry all of your music at once? If given a choice to carry it all at once, or to carry only a portion of it, who would really, consciously choose the latter? Not to mention the more and more music you have, the more and more utter hassle it is to try and pick and choose and sync.

Get one device that holds it all, put it all on there, and never worry about it again. Not a hard concept.

No. The original iPod was a mere 5GB, it was only meant for syncing selections, playlists. It took a few generations to get comfortable amount of storage.

And it also sold for much more than a much larger capacity iPod does today. At the time it was like a $500 device, and it was a LOT compared to carrying a CD and a Discman.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012
I have a black 120 gb and it just sits in a drawer. All I listen to is Pandora on my iPhone. I am a music freak too, but I like discovering new music and thats through Pandora. I get songs and bands I discover and find them on Spotify.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
And it also sold for much more than a much larger capacity iPod does today. At the time it was like a $500 device, and it was a LOT compared to carrying a CD and a Discman.

I was one of those that purchased it at that price when the iPod first came to Canada - after taxes it was almost $600...In hindsight, one of, if not, the most stupidest purchase decision ever. LMAO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.