Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Network World shares a rather unique internal Apple video from 1984 intended to inspire Apple employees as the Macintosh sought to supplant IBM in the workplace. The short black-and-white film is set to a World War II theme and features a brief appearance by Steve Jobs in the role of U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Entitled "1944," the almost 9-minute full version was Apple's in-house takeoff on "1984," the iconic first Macintosh TV ad that caused a sensation during that year's Super Bowl. Set as a World War II tale of good vs. IBM, it is a broadcast-quality production (said to have cost $50,000) that was designed to fire up Apple's international sales force at a 1984 meeting in Hawaii. A copy of "1944" was provided to me by one-time Apple employee Craig Elliott, now CEO of Pertino Networks, a cloud-computing startup located two blocks from Apple in Cupertino.
jobs_fdr.jpg

Jobs' appearance, complete with fake accent to initially disguise his true identity, comes at roughly 5:20 into the film.

Article Link: Apple's 1984 Internal Inspirational Video with Steve Jobs as Franklin Roosevelt

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
LOL! this is hilarious, I cant believe Steve did that, how corny. Now that he's gone people can release stuff like that with having Steve kill them:eek:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
LOL! this is hilarious, I cant believe Steve did that, how corny. Now that he's gone people can release stuff like that with having Steve kill them:eek:

Expect a lot more of Steve behind the scenes in the coming years. My favorites I'd love to see is:

* Steve in his Santa outfit for Christmas parties. There is one of him on the beach in Santa Cruz.

* Lots of Woz party shots.

* The first internal Mac demos with him playing the Mac and Apple ][ teams against each other.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Apple should release a Greatest Hits video on iTunes. They have made a number of really neat videos, at least in the 80's. I remember seeing one that was set 30 or so years in the future (form 1980 or so) and had an older Steve Wozniak, grey hair and all, talking about Apple's latest gadgets, Apple's takeover of IBM, etc. One really cool gadget was the "Glass Apple" complete with a tiny fingernail sized disk that slid into the side. Considering disks drives were 8" or 5.25 at the time it was just too amazing to contemplate a disk so small it could fit into an eyeglass frame.
I don't remember a whole lot of the video, and beyond the eyeglass computer and greying Woz the details are sketchy, but it was really neat. Sculley showed it at a Boston Computer Society meeting.
If nothing else, releasing some of the internal videos would provide an interesting insight on the times and Apple's approach to selling computers.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Apple should release a Greatest Hits video on iTunes. They have made a number of really neat videos, at least in the 80's. I remember seeing one that was set 30 or so years in the future (form 1980 or so) and had an older Steve Wozniak, grey hair and all, talking about Apple's latest gadgets, Apple's takeover of IBM, etc. One really cool gadget was the "Glass Apple" complete with a tiny fingernail sized disk that slid into the side. Considering disks drives were 8" or 5.25 at the time it was just too amazing to contemplate a disk so small it could fit into an eyeglass frame.
I don't remember a whole lot of the video, and beyond the eyeglass computer and greying Woz the details are sketchy, but it was really neat. Sculley showed it at a Boston Computer Society meeting.
If nothing else, releasing some of the internal videos would provide an interesting insight on the times and Apple's approach to selling computers.

I remember hearing about that. MicroSD cards in the gigabytes are fingernail sized and there was the Apple cube. Woz is partially gray now. Good times!

AntonAmsys

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Apple's 1984 Internal Inspirational Video with Steve Jobs as Franklin Roosevelt

A clip of this video was shown years ago (when Apple was in deep financial crisis in the 90's) in Robert Cringley's (ex Apple employee) "Triumph of the Nerds" 3 part documentary and Silicon Valley tech giants.

For those interested in seeing "Triumph of the Nerds", it is available on YouTube.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.