Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hally231

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
As the title suggests - my mac pro is getting close to 5 years old now and believe it is a good time to sell before any hardware problems develop

Here are some screen shots of what i have got:

1zmnn92.jpg

2q3okmd.jpg

I have a raid card installed and 4x 2tb hard drives with a 80gb SSD for the OS

Do you guys recommend i buy a brand new mac pro or just upgrading to a 2009 model off eBay?

Also, how much do you think i could get for my mac in GBP.

Thanks

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT AND I MEAN DONT, get a new mac pro. they are about to be updated and the current hardware in them is pretty much 3 years old.

there is a new mac pro on the horizon and because your computer is still in good condition you can probably wait another month or so

cperry2

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Most definitely wait to the update and go from there. Probably get a new one if you can afford it. Having the thunderbolt ports will probably be a boon for storage expansion in the future.

Hally231

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT AND I MEAN DONT, get a new mac pro. they are about to be updated and the current hardware in them is pretty much 3 years old.

there is a new mac pro on the horizon and because your computer is still in good condition you can probably wait another month or so

Im just not sure whether they will bring out a new one as i have heard they're killing the line off, but what you say about 3 year old technology is very true. With student discount i can get around £600 off a 8 core machine, however i will wait patiently for the update.

When does everyone think its getting updated?

bottleneck

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
I would not buy one

Im just not sure whether they will bring out a new one as i have heard they're killing the line off, but what you say about 3 year old technology is very true. With student discount i can get around £600 off a 8 core machine, however i will wait patiently for the update.

Don't help Apple to sell ther overpriced old products, even if you get a sweet discount. I'm in the same position as you. If they don't launch a new Mac Pro soon or at least a nonglossy iMac I'll build either a hackintosh or go back to windows workstations.

No one should buy a single dinosaur Mac Pro anymore. It won't push them to launch new ones or make fair prices for their dinosaurs, but it hopefully makes them think what to do with their stock.

The Mac Pro isn't bad, but it isn't worth the money for sure! And if you compare it to new HP workstations they seem like a rip off.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Apple has been killing off the Mac Mini for a lot longer.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Apple has been killing off the Mac Mini for a lot longer.

It's funny, but lately I've been thinking the same thing: the parallels between the Mac Pro situation of today and the Mac mini situation of several years ago are strikingly similar: the mini languished for quite some time without an update, and people were convinced Apple was going to kill it off. At long last, Apple introduced a significantly improved Mac mini that has maintained a very healthy niche within Apple's product line.

I expect the same thing will happen with the Mac Pro. Intel hasn't given Apple much new to work with in the Xeon line for some years, but now they have. It's just a matter of time.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
As the others have said, don't even look at these current models. I can't believe they are taking so long to update this model.

I find it hard to believe that because of Intel, apple hasn't updated the mac pro line in two years. Maybe the sales numbers would be better if they updated it every 6 months instead of every year or 2?? The PC world moves very fast, and apple doesn't care to be caught up on current tech.

Also, to the OP: I have that same Mac Pro @ home, and I have no reason to believe that it's going to crap out any time soon. These are server grade workstations built to last for a long time. I figure I can get another 3-5 years out of mine before having to upgrade it.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
As the others have said, don't even look at these current models. I can't believe they are taking so long to update this model.

I find it hard to believe that because of Intel, apple hasn't updated the mac pro line in two years. Maybe the sales numbers would be better if they updated it every 6 months instead of every year or 2?? The PC world moves very fast, and apple doesn't care to be caught up on current tech.

Also, to the OP: I have that same Mac Pro @ home, and I have no reason to believe that it's going to crap out any time soon. These are server grade workstations built to last for a long time. I figure I can get another 3-5 years out of mine before having to upgrade it.

Home computers are constantly swapping out hardware for slight performance increases. A Mac Pro shouldn't be compared to these. Servers and high-end workstations do not do this. Stability and constant updating do not go hand in hand. Intel hasn't come out with any Xeon since 2010 (the last Mac Pro update) that is significantly better until just last month. At least they delivered something.... I'm still waiting for a G5 laptop. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.