Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Ssh

What is the best tool to SSH these days?

Been a while since I had Terminal / OpenSSH on my iP4 (4.1), and now I'm on a Mac (was on Windows). At the time it was open SSH and Cyberduck I believe.

My thought was to look into iFunbox instead - but I may not be clear on the functionality....

What are you guys using?

Also - if the root password was changed on a previous firmware/jailbreak, and I've since restored and re-jailbroken, does it need to be changed from the default alpine again, or does that carry over with the restore from my backup?
ZCherub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCherub View Post

Been a while since I had Terminal / OpenSSH on my iP4 (4.1), and now I'm on a Mac (was on Windows). At the time it was open SSH and Cyberduck I believe.

My thought was to look into iFunbox instead - but I may not be clear on the functionality....

What are you guys using?

Also - if the root password was changed on a previous firmware/jailbreak, and I've since restored and re-jailbroken, does it need to be changed from the default alpine again, or does that carry over with the restore from my backup?
I'm currently using iFunBox. Basically gives you access to all the root files. I don't use SSH but I'm guessing they do the same thing except one doesn't need you to physically connect your device to a computer.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:03 PM   #3
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I'm currently using iFunBox. Basically gives you access to all the root files. I don't use SSH but I'm guessing they do the same thing except one doesn't need you to physically connect your device to a computer.
That's the impression I got. Thanks!

Anyone else have any preferences/input? I'm curious about SSH because from what I understand, you can use it to fix some issues even if your phone is stuck in recovery, etc. Does iFunbox offer that functionality?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

I hate USB cables. Ive tried a lot of apps, but I always end up using Cyberduck.
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
I hate USB cables. Ive tried a lot of apps, but I always end up using Cyberduck.
Thanks. Is that the general consensus, or are there other options for wireless?
Old May 1, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Another question along these lines; Does iFunbox allow you work with the device while it is in recovery like SSH will? Also, are there any programs besides Cyberduck that people are using/prefer?
Old May 1, 2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

I used iFunbox when my iPhone was boot cycling, so I would assume yes. It even recognized it when it was in DFU.
Old May 1, 2012, 02:55 PM   #8
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
I used iFunbox when my iPhone was boot cycling, so I would assume yes. It even recognized it when it was in DFU.
Good to know - thank you!
Old May 2, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

What are you guys using?

Sorry to keep dragging this thread up, but does anyone know if it's necessary to change the root PW again in terminal after a restore before re-installing openSSH? Thanks!
Old May 2, 2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Bl0ckHe1d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sorry to keep dragging this thread up, but does anyone know if it's necessary to change the root PW again in terminal after a restore before re-installing openSSH? Thanks!
Yeah best to change the "alpine" password to be on the safe side!

If you have already done this then no need to keep changing it.
Bl0ckHe1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 03:26 PM   #11
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl0ckHe1d View Post
Yeah best to change the "alpine" password to be on the safe side!

If you have already done this then no need to keep changing it.
I have done this, but not since restoring (used previous phone backup in iTunes) & re-jailbreaking. Hence, I was wondering if it went back to the default "alpine" when I did the restore.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I have done this, but not since restoring (used previous phone backup in iTunes) & re-jailbreaking. Hence, I was wondering if it went back to the default "alpine" when I did the restore.
iFunBox, when you first run the SSH terminal, will check for the default password.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:24 PM   #13
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
iFunBox, when you first run the SSH terminal, will check for the default password.
Meaning you have to tell it to look for a custom one, or you will romped to change it?
Old May 2, 2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Bl0ckHe1d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Meaning you have to tell it to look for a custom one, or you will romped to change it?
use terminal and follow step 13 on this link - should see you just fine!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ght=ssh+passwd
Bl0ckHe1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It'll ask you for your password if it isn't the default one. Otherwise it'll prompt you to change it.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:17 PM   #16
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It'll ask you for your password if it isn't the default one. Otherwise it'll prompt you to change it.
Perfect - makes sense now. Thank you!
Old May 2, 2012, 10:40 PM   #17
hackthatphone
macrumors 68000

If you are going to use SSH, use a REAL SSH client like Fugu or another FTP program. These kinds of programs will allow you to CHMOD unlike the goofball popular programs people seem to use with stripped down feature sets.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:45 PM   #18
thelatinist
macrumors 603

I would just point out that by default iFunBox uses afc2 not SSH. It is therefore limitedin it's functionality (it cannot create files or folders with other than 644 permissions, for instance). Also, even if you choose to use iFunBox primarily, I would strongly recommend installing OpenSSH and iFile on your phone. They can be great for troubleshooting when some bad package puts you in a restoring loop, etc.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackthatphone View Post
If you are going to use SSH, use a REAL SSH client like Fugu or another FTP program. These kinds of programs will allow you to CHMOD unlike the goofball popular programs people seem to use with stripped down feature sets.
Cyberduck does what I need it to do, and its simple. Are these others more difficult and just add features you don't need anyway?
jjk454ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 01:03 PM   #20
EngageWithRage
macrumors 6502

I like iFunbox because it gives me access to the root files of my phones and also has a built in SSH terminal.
EngageWithRage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks