Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Wirelessly as a quick, convenient extra screen with laptop from time to time.
Is there any solution ready to do this?

I know I can already send my mbp's desktop to tv with vlc, but this is like "mirroring".
What I'd like to do is, that I could define a "virtual monitor" with resolution of 1920x1080 and send that to tv with vlc or any other app that would act as dlna server sending "live" picture of that virtual screen.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
External displays can either mirror or extend the existing monitor. Why do you want to use extra software to accomplish this function that is built into every Mac?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Connecting wirelessly to DLNA television is not built in.
Your problem is not DLNA. There are DLNA servers for the Mac. Your problem is wireless display. Some Mac solutions work only with iOS devices. There are other wireless solutions that work with projectors and TVs. InFocus as a wireless network display adaptor. My advice to you is simply this:

Google is your friend.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
DLNA just sets a protocol for connecting. You still need something on the TV end smart enough to process your video signal a la VNC. Barring that, you need a wired connection.

The VLC solution is essentially streaming, just like video streaming from HBO's servers. And although that looks like it's streaming your monitor video, it's not.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I think you guys don't really get it.
This is how it's done with linux:
http://realmike.org/blog/2011/02/09/live-desktop-streaming-via-dlna-on-gnulinux/
Streaming a desktop with vlc is same as streaming a video stream. Both video and desktop are pictures that changes over time.
If you have DLNA cabable tv or stb (and robgendreau, I do), you can already stream your laptop's desktop wirelessly with VLC.
If you don't believe, just try.
Run VLC -> File -> Open Capture Device -> Capture -> Screen -> Streaming -> Settings etc.

But, like I said earlier, this is like "mirroring" with cable.
So what I would need is a software that adds "virtual" monitor to Apple's System Preferences' Display Preferences ie. virtual monitor that OsX sees like an ordinary one.
Then I could stream this virtual monitor's desktop with VLC to my tv via DLNA.
Even more convenient would be a software that combines virtual monitor and DLNA server.
I'm not a coder, but if this kind of software does not exist, maybe I should start coding...

And MisterMe, I know that I could buy hardware to do this, but since there would be only occasional usage, I wouldn't like to waste money on something that gets old and need updated drivers etc., when all of this could be done with pretty simple and cheap software.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

But, like I said earlier, this is like "mirroring" with cable.
No, it is not like mirroring with cable. What you have shown is sending a [near] real time video capture of your display to the TV.

The Linux solution that you linked to is not an off-the-shelf solution. Michael Fötsch cobbled it together himself. At the heart of his solution is ffmpeg. There is nothing to prevent the Mac user of similar skill and dedication from doing the same thing.

Reactions: phrehdd

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
No, it is not like mirroring with cable. What you have shown is sending a [near] real time video capture of your display to the TV.
For what is accomplished (=you get picture to external display) it is the same.
Video has different coding, but so does dvi versus dp. So does the available off-the-shelf wireless hardware solutions.
The Linux solution that you linked to is not an off-the-shelf solution. Michael Fötsch cobbled it together himself. At the heart of his solution is ffmpeg. There is nothing to prevent the Mac user of similar skill and dedication from doing the same thing.
I'm not arguing this. I know this linux solution was nerdy way to do this, it could maybe done in OsX (sure about that? How open source would be virtual dislpay drivers for OsX? I guess you'd need at least developer status?) and I also know that I can't do this "cobbling" right now, but this is why I was asking if anybody knows any "off-the-shelf" software solutions.
So far you haven't offered any.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Quickest solution to your problem... Buy an Apple TV, and then install AirParrot on your Mac. You can use your TV as an extended display or mirrored display over wifi or wired.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Quickest solution to your problem... Buy an Apple TV, and then install AirParrot on your Mac. You can use your TV as an extended display or mirrored display over wifi or wired.
That would be what Apple wants; $100 hardware box, which you wouldn't need if AirParrot could use DLNA.
Hmmm, maybe I'll ask them...

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Airparrot told that they have not demand to include support for DLNA.
So if there's anybody else that would like to have this, let them know!

Seems to be that this would be a new coding project for somebody...

thousandrobots

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2014
Seems to be that this would be a new coding project for somebody...

Hi -- I'm having the same issue. Did you ever figure this out? I would settle for the mirroring without the second "virtual" monitor.

PS. A bit funny to me that people kept denying that the problem you were trying to solve is the problem you were trying to solve. :)

Jriley1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2016
Anyone solve this problem?

Or know of any solutions to I have MacBook Pro Retina display and a DLNA I want to be able to display what I have on the laptop screen to the TV. I have 3 DLNA TV and buying Apple TV for each room is not an option

Cheers in advance

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Or know of any solutions to I have MacBook Pro Retina display and a DLNA I want to be able to display what I have on the laptop screen to the TV. I have 3 DLNA TV and buying Apple TV for each room is not an option

Cheers in advance
As I wrote in my posts above, the functionality that you are looking for is built-in your MacBook Pro. You just need an HDMI adapter for your MBP. Then you may mirror or extend your MBP's display on your TV.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

Cheers in advance
Check my post #6. You can mirror with VLC, but you can't extend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.