Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I sync my contacts and calendar with my exchange server at work. Can I also push them to the cloud?

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Nope. Exchange and iCloud run in parallel to one another, but are not merged in any sense, so you can't directly sync your Exchange contacts to iCloud. If you wanted to, you *could* export your contacts from Outlook at work (on Exchange), then import them to your Outlook at home, then (assuming you have the iCloud Control Panel installed) move the imported contacts into the iCloud Contacts list, and then that group of contacts will sync into iCloud. But, even then, they'd only be in "sync" with Exchange so long as you didn't make any changes to either set (since really all you did was copy the set over), and you'd basically just have a duplicate set of contacts (one on iCloud and one on Exchange).

Wheelie

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Timely question for me - currently running Exchange server, but have bought a MacMini Server and planning to migrate everything over in the next couple of weeks.
Is there a way to move over contacts in bulk from exchange to icloud. I can't even see a way to copy a single contact over to iCloud - I'm obviously missing something.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Here is what I did. Exported all my Exchange contacts to Google. Turned off Exchange sync. Synced with Google contacts and pushed them to the cloud.

I've since turned off iCloud sync and turned exchange back on as It's through my work, but now i have a back-up in the cloud (albeit a snapshot in time)

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Here is what I did. Exported all my Exchange contacts to Google. Turned off Exchange sync. Synced with Google contacts and pushed them to the cloud.

I've since turned off iCloud sync and turned exchange back on as It's through my work, but now i have a back-up in the cloud (albeit a snapshot in time)

How do you export Exchange contacts to Google?

How does iCloud work compared to Exchange? Like the proper layout of First name, last name, work phone, cell phone. Home address, email address etc? And when you add contact info?

Last edited:

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Is there a way to keep my exchange and icloud contacts in sync? I currently have both Contact folders on my Outlook, is there a way to change a contact in one folder and it automatically update it in the other?

bobacross

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Hello. I successfully moved contacts in bulk using the following approach:

1. Export contacts from Outlook (exchange on the back end) to CSV file.
2. Import contacts into gmail account using the CSV file.
3. Export contacts from gmail to VCF (Vcard) file.
4. Import contacts into iCloud using the VCF file. This is done via icloud.com.

Note: this is not a sync operation. This will get your contacts in bulk saved to iCloud.

jasonwirl

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Hello. I successfully moved contacts in bulk using the following approach:

1. Export contacts from Outlook (exchange on the back end) to CSV file.
2. Import contacts into gmail account using the CSV file.
3. Export contacts from gmail to VCF (Vcard) file.
4. Import contacts into iCloud using the VCF file. This is done via icloud.com.

Note: this is not a sync operation. This will get your contacts in bulk saved to iCloud.

Bobacross...Don't see the ability to import into Gmail with csv. Can you point me in the right direction?

SSpringer

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Easier Way

After a few hours of head to desk, I think I have found a much easier way. Add your Exchange account to your Accounts under Settings. Once this is done, go into the Contacts App. Right click on a group of contacts from your Exchange (if there isn't one, make a group with all contacts). Click Export Group vCard. Navigate to your iCloud contacts section. Import the Group vCard from wherever you saved it and.....

BLAMO! you should now have all exchange contacts imported to iCloud. This is not by any means automatic, but pretty much the only way I could find to do what I wanted.

Hope that helps

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Found a simpler way - I think

I am on a PC trying to copy my outlook contacts to icloud. This is how I did it and this process seems easy and repeatable.

Step 1. Open your iCloud Control Panel. I assume you have installed it. If not, then install it first. Picture attached.
Step 2. Check the box which says contacts with outlook. What this does is shows the iCloud Contact as a separate list in your outlook. Go to Contacts and check the list there in the left panel. Picture attached.
3. Now that you can see both your contact list, outlook and icloud in the same section you can go to the outlook contacts, right click > Move > Copy To Folder and then choose the iCloud Contacts folder. All your contacts will be copied/merged appropriately.

Note - obviously this is not auto sync so you would have to copy this over manually every time you need a backup. Copy works well but if you have deleted some contacts in outlook obviously those will not get deleted. You can do the same thing with the calendar too.

The best part is when you update the contacts through your iPhone the contacts get updated in both outlook exchange and iCloud.

Hope this works for some of you.

Attachments

• Step1.png
    Step1.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,525
  • Step2.png
    Step2.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 51,964

rmst60

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Genius!

You rock! I've looked high and low across the web and your answer is genius. I was able to do this purely on the Mac that I was on. And more importantly have my "wife" confirm that her contacts were now visible (via the cloud sync)! Genius!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.