Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
In case people skimmed the previous post...

Wi-Fi sharing of Ethernet doesn't work for WPA2!!!

They took out WEP support, so now the PSP (100+million users) can't connect to a MAC OSX sharing the Ethernet over Wi-Fi. Only option? NO SECURITY.

THIS IS A MAJOR SECURITY RISK! The OSX's WPA2 doesn't work. WEP is taken out, so if you share your Ethernet, EVERYONE can connect, because that is the only way you can share via Wi-Fi (no security).

WEP isn't very effective security...Google "WEP hacking" and see how long it takes to hack a WEP protected network. Not that WPA2 is impregnable, but it's much better.

Leaving users with the option of no security or WPA2 is a weird thing for Apple to do but if you know you don't have a secure Wi-Fi connection you'll hopefully self-filter your websites, with crappy security (e.g. WEP) you may not be so prone to self-filter and that complacency may be what Apple's trying to protect you from. I dunno, but a WPA2-enabled router isn't very expensive (~$50 on Amazon.com).

Do you use hotel, Barnes & Nobles, public library or any other "free" wi-fi? They're typically unsecured (and hackers spoof being a hotel access point as well).

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Some pro-Apple people on this forum are seriously butthurt over any critical comments made. Sad thing, is they fail to understand that this is for our benefit as well as for Apple.

This was used to be a constructive forum - now its just people getting butthurt over any critical comments made on Apple or Apple products. Grow up.

You nailed it! Some seriously butt-hurt people on here. Can't take any criticism of Apple. Makes them feel better to vote down a post.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
In case people skimmed the previous post...

Wi-Fi sharing of Ethernet doesn't work for WPA2!!!

They took out WEP support, so now the PSP (100+million users) can't connect to a MAC OSX sharing the Ethernet over Wi-Fi. Only option? NO SECURITY.

THIS IS A MAJOR SECURITY RISK! The OSX's WPA2 doesn't work. WEP is taken out, so if you share your Ethernet, EVERYONE can connect, because that is the only way you can share via Wi-Fi (no security).

That's why it's called "Developer Preview" - its just a bug not a SECURITY RISK as you call it!:)

----------

One thing I've always found strange is that even though it's often said Apple shows attention to details there are some (small) things that seems to be forgotten.

Such as:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2096906/inconsistent_zoom_button_behaviour.m4v
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2096906/mouse_cursor_update_through_menu.m4v
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2096906/no_proper_cursor_update_in_textedit.m4v

Is this any better in Mountain Lion?

For last 2 videos:
[Sarcasm] You need to use a stable version (Lion is not stable enough IMHO) to get rid of these "bugs" :) [/sarcasm]

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Loving all these changes mentioned here. Especially the Save As bit. But I'm not liking the additional icons in the menu bar. I realize you can get rid of most of them, but what about Notifications? I know it's fixed in place like Spotlight is, but does anyone know of a way to remove or hide that?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I suppose the TSA looking at me naked is better than the old metal detector because it's "newer and better".

Nice one. Too bad its a totally irrelevant comparison.

Save and Save As was not the best way. Its just the way it was. I'm glad its gone the way it has now. Then again, I took the 3 minutes necessary to understand the new way, so...

And the TSA has nothing to do with the use of body scanners. The TSA are minimum wage thugs that didn't graduate 8th grade. Body scanners are the work of the people, who allowed their government to force upon such a horrid invasion.

No one to blame but yourselves. Take your government back, and they'll stop being out of control insane.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I bet that in 20 years, only software developers will use the traditional computers we know of today - the ones with a keyboard, mouse, monitor and computer. Everyone else will use tablet-type devices for their computing needs.

Ah yes, a return to what it used to be 30 years ago, except back then "everyone else" used paper tablets! :)

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Wouldn't it be a better solution to "snooze" alerts? For example, prevent all alerts for the next 1 hour.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe you should stop complaining for five minutes, learn how it works, and use what was given to you.

It stuns me the way people wave away newer and better ways of doing things, for no reason other than its "different" than what they're "used to" aka OLD.

Calm down dude. I'm all for inovation and new technology, but I'm not for blindly following whatever new thing comes from Apple like you are apparently. Even new things which seem good on their face need to be scrutinized with some critical thought.

I've said this many times before: what apple implemented with "versions" is a half-baked revision control system. Proper revision control systems sold as software have been in use for over a decade in software development, publishing, and engineering. However, what apple has done is mimic those systems, with limited functionality as compared to the real-deal, while increasing the steps necessary to accomplish certain common tasks that were easier before. This, to any reasonable person, is clearly a step backwards not forwards.

It was amazing at the time, and there’s nothing wrong it, but look at how far we’ve come…
View attachment 338241
Looks blue and grey, not very attractive. Kind of depressing actually... :p
All joking aside, I am very pleased with 99% of what OS X has evolved in since 10.2 (the screenshot I attached before). I just don't like the difficulty in telling apart icons. It's a minor thing and easily redressable.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't understand the big deal regarding Expose functionality. On my trackpad, flicking down with four fingers reveals all the windows of the active program, and flicking up enters Mission Control. What does ML bring back?

Most of the time when entering expose to find a new window, that window is one from another application. This is especially true with tabbed browsers, editors, etc. Having to switch applications and then activate app expose just adds additional steps. There was just so many things that lion did that added these little steps... and all of them together is so tedious and disruptive to workflow.

With that new option to ungroup windows by application, you can just enter mission control and go directly to the window your looking for no matter what app its part of. Its a step in the right direction... (one step forward after a number of steps back).

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Cool down there, boss. I've been using OS X Lion off and on since it's release (when I say off and on I mean for a month or so at a time). Duplicating your file adds more steps than doing a simple Save As. The Mac users I talk to who dislike OS X Lion, dislike it for various reasons, but the lack of Save As is always one that nears the top of their list.

It's not so much the Auto Save that bothers me, it's the lack of Save As. But if having Auto Save means not having Save As, I'd rather simply not have Auto Save.

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Duplicating your file involves the same number of steps as Save As. The difference is you do it up front rather than at the end. The reality is either way you choose you are still saving a brand new file under a different name. There is no difference in the number of steps at all.

However, the Duplicate feature does have some obvious benefits over Save As as well as more options.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
for those lucky enough to be testing ML, does it do better with supporting multiple screens?
For example, when an App is in full screen mode that does not need both screens (iTunes for example) is the second screen left usable? In this scenario, maybe I would have Word/Pages full screen on my mail monitor, then have iTunes, iMessage, Mail, etc. on my second screen.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Calm down dude. I'm all for inovation and new technology, but I'm not for blindly following whatever new thing comes from Apple like you are apparently. Even new things which seem good on their face need to be scrutinized with some critical thought.

I've said this many times before: what apple implemented with "versions" is a half-baked revision control system. Proper revision control systems sold as software have been in use for over a decade in software development, publishing, and engineering. However, what apple has done is mimic those systems, with limited functionality as compared to the real-deal, while increasing the steps necessary to accomplish certain common tasks that were easier before. This, to any reasonable person, is clearly a step backwards not forwards.

Most people disagree with you, as do I.
So.. because I don't find anything wrong with the current Versions implementation, and you do, that means I blindly follow every new thing from Apple? Interesting perspective. Interesting to you maybe.

Again, I know it works, which didn't take long to learn. I'm still not sure that you do, or care to.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011

Please find some facepalm image yourself.

----------

Most people disagree with you, as do I.
So.. because I don't find anything wrong with the current Versions implementation, and you do, that means I blindly follow every new thing from Apple? Interesting perspective. Interesting to you maybe.

Again, I know it works, which didn't take long to learn. I'm still not sure that you do, or care to.

I can't understand these people either. Versions is a nice "just in case" feature to most people and very useful for some everyday. I personally use it a lot and really don't see why it's hard to understand how it works. UI is dead simple.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
There's one thing I have started to hate about Apple - Bad UI design.

I mean - we have great UI experts at Apple and some of the UI elements on OS X and iOS are just so bad-looking.

Just look at the volume bar or status bar on iOS, notification centre on iPad and OS X, now this switch button with the exact same UI from iOS, the whole final cut pro in helvetica.

There's something wrong going on in 1 Infinite Loop. Apple needs to come up with much more innovating and better looking UI designs even those these ones solve a purpose and do it just fine. It's all we Apple geeks have craved for years - great UI design and its implementation.

EDIT: Apple needs to fix the font in the notification centre on OS X- Helvetica is not suitable for low PPI displays running OS X and it looks crippled.

Are you crazy, dude?

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Having an opinion is being crazy, dude?

Without reasoning, calling people crazy is crazy dude? I guess so.

Did you read that?

Come on - Apple's UI definitely isn't bad.

I'm not going to explain it more deeply...

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Duplicating your file involves the same number of steps as Save As. The difference is you do it up front rather than at the end. The reality is either way you choose you are still saving a brand new file under a different name. There is no difference in the number of steps at all.

However, the Duplicate feature does have some obvious benefits over Save As as well as more options.

I think what he might be describing as an extra step is that you
1) go to the menu and click Duplicate
2) wait for the program to duplicate the document on the screen (some apps can take some time at this, I have some big OmniGraffle documents that can take up to 30 seconds or so)
3) go to the menu again and click Save to put the duplicated copy where you want and Save the file to disk.

Instead of doing this for save as
1) go to the menu and click "Save as" to put the saved copy where you want it and it saves to disk.

I'm not debating which method is "better" or more efficient for your work flow, I completely accept that your work flow may be enhanced by the duplicate functionality. However there are some of us that have work flows that flow better using Save As. I think Apple has found a great balance in ML by providing Duplicate as a default method and allowing us to hold down the Option key to change that to "Save As".

For our work flow it isn's so much about having progressive versions of the same document as it is that documents very often get "forked" in their progression, so "Save as" generally is more efficient to do that. If we just needed to see old versions of a document then this discussion wouldn't matter so much to us.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Did you read that?

Come on - Apple's UI definitely isn't bad.

I'm not going to explain it more deeply...

Apple doesn't have a UI. Apple has and maintains UI guidelines for its products.

And most of the user interface and experience is amazing; henceforth the attraction for Apple products.

But given, you have nothing more to explain and reason out given the context, I'm assured again of the type of people on these forums. Good day.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Where did they put RSS??

Gone. It's out of Safari too, now it shows a link to RSS apps on the mac app store. Seems dumb to me, but Apple is totally dumping RSS support and leaving it to third parties.

for those lucky enough to be testing ML, does it do better with supporting multiple screens?

Unfortunately no improvement on full screen mode yet.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Gone. It's out of Safari too, now it shows a link to RSS apps on the mac app store. Seems dumb to me, but Apple is totally dumping RSS support and leaving it to third parties.

Unfortunately no improvement on full screen mode yet.

Hmm, bummer on both of those topics.

I suspect that the reason they are removing it from Mail is that in my experience, once I got a lot of feeds it started slowing mail way down until I turned off auto update on most of them, so maybe Mail was being perceived as slow when in actuality it was the rss feeds. it's still to bad it's gone though. Thanks for the heads up, it gives me a chance to look at 3rd party apps and migrate stuff over before I just lose the feeds.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for multiscreen / full screen improvements in a future dev release then :)

again thanks, for answering both of those.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
Apple doesn't have a UI. Apple has and maintains UI guidelines for its products.

And most of the user interface and experience is amazing; henceforth the attraction for Apple products.

But given, you have nothing more to explain and reason out given the context, I'm assured again of the type of people on these forums. Good day.

-1 for hating Helvetica.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
They are doing away with RSS altogether?? That's just crazy....Anybody know of a suitable replacement software for both?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.