Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
macdudesir
macrumors 6502

Apple Store Screwed Up my iMac

Ok, so here is the back story, my iMac was experiencing some display issues, but other than those, it worked perfectly. So after a while i got tired of it and sent it to the apple store for repairs. (under warrantee) fast forward a week, i just got the computer back from the Apple Store and brought it home and tried to turn it on....nothing...black screen no boot sound, the only sign of life is a slight clicking noise (fast, like the fan hitting a piece of paper or something) every few seconds...thats it. tried an smc reset and nothing happened. any suggestions? i would rather not take it back to the store as it is a 2 hr drive.
Thanks.

Edit: now, i put my ear close to the air vents in the back, and after i press the power button, the fans sound like they rev, shut off, rev, shut off, rev, shut off...etc...
iPhone 4 16GB Black; iPod Touch 4th Gen 32GB
macdudesir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Occamsrazr
macrumors 6502

You gotta take it back... I wouldn't leave without a brand new one off the shelf.
Occamsrazr is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Dornblaser

Take it back to the store and get a new one. Is there more?
Dornblaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
macdudesir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornblaser View Post
Take it back to the store and get a new one. Is there more?
well i was hoping there was something i could do at home...but i guess not... do you think they would replace it or try to repair it again? I'd rather get a new one because their repair this time obviously didn't go well, plus there is dust under the glass and fingerprints all over the screen. Would it be unreasonable to demand a new one?
Old May 2, 2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Dornblaser

Just return it and get a new one.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:58 PM   #6
macdudesir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornblaser View Post
Just return it and get a new one.
its almost a year old, its not like i bought it today....
Old May 2, 2012, 09:00 PM   #7
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdudesir View Post
You're not going to get a new one if the machine is a year old but you do need to take it back and if necessary speak to a manager.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:00 PM   #8
David085
Banned

Take it back, If they can't repair it they might replace it with a Brand NEW one
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Dornblaser

Quote:
Sorry, I do not see where you posted that it was a year old. Still, talk to a manager in a firm and reasoned way.

Best of luck.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:10 PM   #10
macdudesir
macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone...looks like I'm going to the apple store again tomorrow...not crazy about the drive but, its a lot better than having a 30 pound paperweight. lol
Thanks again.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Cooshan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
the only sign of life is a slight clicking noise (fast, like the fan hitting a piece of paper or something) every few seconds...thats it.

Edit: now, i put my ear close to the air vents in the back, and after i press the power button, the fans sound like they rev, shut off, rev, shut off, rev, shut off...etc...
Sounds like exactly what happened to me. Means your hard drive is fried. You can fix it yourself by replacing the hard drive. There are tons of guides out there to do this just google your specific mac model. It's quite tedious but as long as you take care and remember where every thing went should be np.

It will void your warranty though.
Cooshan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 12:43 AM   #12
davidg4781
macrumors 65816

I had taken my MacBook in for a top case and inverter cable replacement. When I got it back my wifi didn't work. I called the Apple Store as I was about 3 hours away. They said to bring it back and they would have to send it off for repairs. I even tried a different Apple Store and they sent it off. Guess they don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong at the store level.

I'd call them and see what they have to say. If it's going to have to be sent off, maybe they can send you a shipping box so you won't have to drive. They did that to me years ago. Got the box the next day.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:32 AM   #13
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occamsrazr View Post
You gotta take it back... I wouldn't leave without a brand new one off the shelf.
Mini-rant:
My Macbook air I purchased on October 6, 2011 had 4 broken keys. I get the entire topcase replaced. Then when I picked it up a few days later brought it home etc. the mouse was not working!
I take it to the store where they try to help me get some important documents off where they are unable to.
Somehow when they disconnected the topcase and used an external keypbard 5 documents were lost and I had to redo them last night.

Meanwhile they blamed me and are repairing it again. Why would they not test the computer????

Also this was the manager who tried to sell me a firewire hard drive! (No firewire port on Macbook air)
Old May 10, 2012, 08:25 AM   #14
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
Mini-rant:
My Macbook air I purchased on October 6, 2011 had 4 broken keys. I get the entire topcase replaced. Then when I picked it up a few days later brought it home etc. the mouse was not working!
I take it to the store where they try to help me get some important documents off where they are unable to.
Somehow when they disconnected the topcase and used an external keypbard 5 documents were lost and I had to redo them last night.

Meanwhile they blamed me and are repairing it again. Why would they not test the computer????

Also this was the manager who tried to sell me a firewire hard drive! (No firewire port on Macbook air)
MBA's don't even have a mouse, what in the world are you talking about?
Old May 10, 2012, 08:29 AM   #15
WRP
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
MBA's don't even have a mouse, what in the world are you talking about?
You don't think he could be talking about the trackpad and mispoke?
WRP is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 08:45 AM   #16
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRP View Post
Well, maybe, but if we're using language to communicate ideas, don't you think it's important to use the correct aardvarks? Otherwise, airplanes are difficult, if not yellow.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:58 AM   #17
ancelrick
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooshan View Post
Sounds like exactly what happened to me. Means your hard drive is fried. You can fix it yourself by replacing the hard drive. There are tons of guides out there to do this just google your specific mac model. It's quite tedious but as long as you take care and remember where every thing went should be np.

It will void your warranty though.
bad info.. this will not fix it.
ancelrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 08:59 AM   #18
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What I thInk is the poster doesn't kow what he has and possibly not how to care for it. Getting mouse and trackpad confused would be difficult unless the person has never used a mouse before which is unlikely.
rkaufmann87 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:08 AM   #19
ancelrick
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
I had taken my MacBook in for a top case and inverter cable replacement. When I got it back my wifi didn't work. I called the Apple Store as I was about 3 hours away. They said to bring it back and they would have to send it off for repairs. I even tried a different Apple Store and they sent it off. Guess they don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong at the store level.

I'd call them and see what they have to say. If it's going to have to be sent off, maybe they can send you a shipping box so you won't have to drive. They did that to me years ago. Got the box the next day.

more bad info. no iMac service shipping boxes exist, the iMac will be serviced at the store.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post

they haven't sold firewire only external hard drives in years... so the drive in question had USB ports as well... but you know more than they do. lol

Last edited by ancelrick; May 10, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
ancelrick is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:09 AM   #20
WRP
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
What I thInk is the poster doesn't kow what he has and possibly not how to care for it. Getting mouse and trackpad confused would be difficult unless the person has never used a mouse before which is unlikely.
You've never mispoke? I use a trackball every day. I have mistakenly called it a mouse and I have used a computer everyday for the last 20 years. Give it a rest.
WRP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 09:36 AM   #21
davidg4781
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancelrick View Post
more bad info. no iMac service shipping boxes exist, the iMac will be serviced at the store.
Interesting. I guess we just pack it up ourselves.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:38 AM   #22
Elven
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Elven
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Well, maybe, but if we're using language to communicate ideas, don't you think it's important to use the correct aardvarks? Otherwise, airplanes are difficult, if not yellow.
For many people English is not a first language, please be more understanding about this.

Also someone could be dyslexic and it is only polite to be more forgiving, it's not as if you are preparing a speech for the Queen.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:52 AM   #23
davys
macrumors member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Have a virtual drink, Sir. It's the best laugh I've had all day!
davys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:03 AM   #24
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
You've never mispoke? I use a trackball every day. I have mistakenly called it a mouse and I have used a computer everyday for the last 20 years. Give it a rest.
Mispoken, aardvark!
Old May 10, 2012, 10:15 AM   #25
WRP
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Mispoken, aardvark!
touché
WRP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac