Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
How can i open my windows in BOOTCAMP? its been more than 7months since i access windows on bootcamp by my imac, im working all the time on my mac OS, but sometimes i want to use also my windows that was installed at bootcamp, but recently when i try to open my windows on holding shift key, my imac will not prompt me anymore for options to choise either mac or windows os, how would i get back again to my windows thru bootcamp? if i delete my partation on bootcamp the empty disk space should be or can be used for mac os?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
when i try to open my windows on holding shift key, my imac will not prompt me anymore for options to choise either mac or windows os,
That's because it's the Option/alt key, not the Shift key.

Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion: Frequently asked questions
9. How do I choose which operating system will start up my Mac?

After running Boot Camp Assistant and installing Microsoft Windows and Boot Camp drivers, press and hold the Option (Alt) key while you start up your Mac to switch between Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. Use the Startup Disk control panel in Windows or Mac OS X Startup Disk preferences to set the default operating system to use each time the computer starts up.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011

ohhh i forgot its Option/alt key wheeew thats why hehe but if my windows os is out of date can i be still open it?

----------

Thanks for this anwers GGJstudio...i wonder hehe thats what what happen if i seldom access my bootcamp il forgotten what key im i going to press anyway i try this later thanks again...

P/S: one more thing if i delete my partation on boothcamp can i used it for mac os? and how?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ohhh i forgot its Option/alt key wheeew thats why hehe but if my windows os is out of date can i be still open it?
What do you mean "out of date"? If you're referring to Windows updates, you should still be able to boot into Windows just fine. Just run whatever updates are required after you boot into Windows.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
What do you mean "out of date"? If you're referring to Windows updates, you should still be able to boot into Windows just fine. Just run whatever updates are required after you boot into Windows.

i mean i think expired already coz its only a non license OS that i install since im not using it often but yes, i try it now to access my windows os my imac crush hahaha many times i keep trying but it always crush tks tks tks so bad...do u have an idea what happen?

EricT43

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
i mean i think expired already coz its only a non license OS that i install since im not using it often but yes, i try it now to access my windows os my imac crush hahaha many times i keep trying but it always crush tks tks tks so bad...do u have an idea what happen?

You don't provide enough detail for anyone to help you. I would suggest deleting your Bootcamp partition and starting over with a fresh installation of Windows.

Windows will expire in 30 days if you don't activate it. After that you can't update it anymore, and certain Microsoft software will not run/install.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

You could buy a legit copy of windows and start over.

JYork23

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Connecticut
You could buy a legit copy of windows and start over.
And if you do, know that if you're running Lion, you can only use Windows 7. Windows XP's and Vista's installers do not work in Lion's version of Bootcamp. Interestingly, if you have XP installed under an older Mac OS and upgrade to Lion, it will still work. Just hope that you don't have to reinstall Windows at a later date.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
And if you do, know that if you're running Lion, you can only use Windows 7. Windows XP's and Vista's installers do not work in Lion's version of Bootcamp. Interestingly, if you have XP installed under an older Mac OS and upgrade to Lion, it will still work. Just hope that you don't have to reinstall Windows at a later date.

I don't even know why anyone would want to use vista or XP. Makes me cringe thinking about those OS's.:eek:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I don't even know why anyone would want to use vista or XP. Makes me cringe thinking about those OS's.:eek:

Probably because there are still some ancient applications that only work on XP or Vista. Just like PPC apps/Rosetta, there are still some around and the developers may have dropped out but the apps are still important in limited markets.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Thanks guys for the information yeah thats my prospect coz since its only 30 days for like a trial version that is why i cant open anymore my windows on bootcamp

tobeme

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Open bootcamp on Mac

For some reasons I can't open Windows when pressing the opt key at start-up. Other than pressing the opt key, is there any way to open windows on a Mac? Thanks

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
For some reasons I can't open Windows when pressing the opt key at start-up. Other than pressing the opt key, is there any way to open windows on a Mac? Thanks

Yes. Go to System Preferences and select Startup Disk. Then select the one you want and click Restart.

tobeme

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Yes. Go to System Preferences and select Startup Disk. Then select the one you want and click Restart.

Thanks for the reply. :) If I select Bootcamp as the startup, how do I change back to Mac as the start up later on while on Window?

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply. :) If I select Bootcamp as the startup, how do I change back to Mac as the start up later on while on Window?

Via the Bootcamp application in Windows, or just manually hold ALT while booting up the computer (in the time frame before the grey Apple usually pops up) and boot into OS X and change it there.

tobeme

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Via the Bootcamp application in Windows, or just manually hold ALT while booting up the computer (in the time frame before the grey Apple usually pops up) and boot into OS X and change it there.

For some reasons my computer doesn't work on holding the "option" key during start-up to choose between bootcamp and Apple. That's why I need to do it manually. Where can I find Bootcamp application via Windows? Thanks for helping.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Probably because there are still some ancient applications that only work on XP or Vista. Just like PPC apps/Rosetta, there are still some around and the developers may have dropped out but the apps are still important in limited markets.

I've yet to see any application that will run on XP, but not on 7.

Windows 7 includes a "Windows XP" mode, but I'm not sure if it's only the Professional version that has it.

tobeme

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I use Mac and have installed Bootcamp on my computer. Generally to choose between Apple and Windows one needs to hold down the "option" button during the start-up of the computer. However, my computer has a malfunction and hold down of the "option" key doesn't work. When I'm in Apple, I can go to "System Preference" > "startup Disk" to switch my system to Bootcamp at start up. My question is: Once I am in Windows and I want to go back to Apple, what shall I do? Someone has suggested that I can do that via the Bootcamp in Windows... but exactly what does that mean? Could someone show me step-by-step. Thanks

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
What I know about the Bootcamp Application in Windows:

I have only used bootcamp briefly twice. Once with XP on Leopard and once with Windows 7 on Snow Leopard. Both times, after the Windows installation was complete, I had to insert the OS X OS-DVD to install drivers for the windows partition in windows, this installed drivers and also a "Bootcamp Application" that shows up as an always running application in the right down corner of the "windows dock", opening that should have an option for picking startup disk. Not sure if this is always the case.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
For some reasons my computer doesn't work on holding the "option" key during start-up to choose between bootcamp and Apple. That's why I need to do it manually. Where can I find Bootcamp application via Windows? Thanks for helping.

There is a little icon in the system tray in Windows (bottom right) that you can click and choose the startup disk. It's very similar to the Mac Settings feature. As soon as you open it, you'll get it.

Gloops

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
I use Mac and have installed Bootcamp on my computer. Generally to choose between Apple and Windows one needs to hold down the "option" button during the start-up of the computer. However, my computer has a malfunction and hold down of the "option" key doesn't work.

Are you using a new aluminium chiclet keyboard with an older iMac? If so, that's your problem - different firmware. The keyboard won't be recognised until the machine has fully booted. If you can, use the keyboard that came with your iMac - or if you have an Apple remote, use that instead (hold the menu button while booting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.