Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Ok, so here is the back story, my iMac was experiencing some display issues, but other than those, it worked perfectly. So after a while i got tired of it and sent it to the apple store for repairs. (under warrantee) fast forward a week, i just got the computer back from the Apple Store and brought it home and tried to turn it on....nothing...black screen no boot sound, the only sign of life is a slight clicking noise (fast, like the fan hitting a piece of paper or something) every few seconds...thats it. tried an smc reset and nothing happened. any suggestions? i would rather not take it back to the store as it is a 2 hr drive.
Thanks.

Edit: now, i put my ear close to the air vents in the back, and after i press the power button, the fans sound like they rev, shut off, rev, shut off, rev, shut off...etc...

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Take it back to the store and get a new one. Is there more?

well i was hoping there was something i could do at home...but i guess not... do you think they would replace it or try to repair it again? I'd rather get a new one because their repair this time obviously didn't go well, plus there is dust under the glass and fingerprints all over the screen. Would it be unreasonable to demand a new one?

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Take it back, If they can't repair it they might replace it with a Brand NEW one

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Thanks everyone...looks like I'm going to the apple store again tomorrow:mad:...not crazy about the drive but, its a lot better than having a 30 pound paperweight. lol :p
Thanks again.

Cooshan

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
the only sign of life is a slight clicking noise (fast, like the fan hitting a piece of paper or something) every few seconds...thats it.

Edit: now, i put my ear close to the air vents in the back, and after i press the power button, the fans sound like they rev, shut off, rev, shut off, rev, shut off...etc...
Sounds like exactly what happened to me. Means your hard drive is fried. You can fix it yourself by replacing the hard drive. There are tons of guides out there to do this just google your specific mac model. It's quite tedious but as long as you take care and remember where every thing went should be np.

It will void your warranty though.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I had taken my MacBook in for a top case and inverter cable replacement. When I got it back my wifi didn't work. I called the Apple Store as I was about 3 hours away. They said to bring it back and they would have to send it off for repairs. I even tried a different Apple Store and they sent it off. Guess they don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong at the store level.

I'd call them and see what they have to say. If it's going to have to be sent off, maybe they can send you a shipping box so you won't have to drive. They did that to me years ago. Got the box the next day.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
You gotta take it back... I wouldn't leave without a brand new one off the shelf.

Mini-rant:
My Macbook air I purchased on October 6, 2011 had 4 broken keys. I get the entire topcase replaced. Then when I picked it up a few days later brought it home etc. the mouse was not working!
I take it to the store where they try to help me get some important documents off where they are unable to.
Somehow when they disconnected the topcase and used an external keypbard 5 documents were lost and I had to redo them last night.

Meanwhile they blamed me and are repairing it again. Why would they not test the computer????

Also this was the manager who tried to sell me a firewire hard drive! (No firewire port on Macbook air)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Mini-rant:
My Macbook air I purchased on October 6, 2011 had 4 broken keys. I get the entire topcase replaced. Then when I picked it up a few days later brought it home etc. the mouse was not working!
I take it to the store where they try to help me get some important documents off where they are unable to.
Somehow when they disconnected the topcase and used an external keypbard 5 documents were lost and I had to redo them last night.

Meanwhile they blamed me and are repairing it again. Why would they not test the computer????

Also this was the manager who tried to sell me a firewire hard drive! (No firewire port on Macbook air)

MBA's don't even have a mouse, what in the world are you talking about?

ancelrick

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
Sounds like exactly what happened to me. Means your hard drive is fried. You can fix it yourself by replacing the hard drive. There are tons of guides out there to do this just google your specific mac model. It's quite tedious but as long as you take care and remember where every thing went should be np.

It will void your warranty though.

bad info.. this will not fix it.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
You don't think he could be talking about the trackpad and mispoke? :rolleyes:

What I thInk is the poster doesn't kow what he has and possibly not how to care for it. Getting mouse and trackpad confused would be difficult unless the person has never used a mouse before which is unlikely.

ancelrick

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
I had taken my MacBook in for a top case and inverter cable replacement. When I got it back my wifi didn't work. I called the Apple Store as I was about 3 hours away. They said to bring it back and they would have to send it off for repairs. I even tried a different Apple Store and they sent it off. Guess they don't want to be responsible for anything going wrong at the store level.

I'd call them and see what they have to say. If it's going to have to be sent off, maybe they can send you a shipping box so you won't have to drive. They did that to me years ago. Got the box the next day.

more bad info. no iMac service shipping boxes exist, the iMac will be serviced at the store.

----------

they haven't sold firewire only external hard drives in years... so the drive in question had USB ports as well... but you know more than they do. lol

Last edited:

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
What I thInk is the poster doesn't kow what he has and possibly not how to care for it. Getting mouse and trackpad confused would be difficult unless the person has never used a mouse before which is unlikely.

You've never mispoke? I use a trackball every day. I have mistakenly called it a mouse and I have used a computer everyday for the last 20 years. Give it a rest.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Well, maybe, but if we're using language to communicate ideas, don't you think it's important to use the correct aardvarks? Otherwise, airplanes are difficult, if not yellow.

For many people English is not a first language, please be more understanding about this.

Also someone could be dyslexic and it is only polite to be more forgiving, it's not as if you are preparing a speech for the Queen.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
Well, maybe, but if we're using language to communicate ideas, don't you think it's important to use the correct aardvarks? Otherwise, airplanes are difficult, if not yellow.

Have a virtual drink, Sir. It's the best laugh I've had all day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.