Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

careyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Anyone know where to find a PSX Emulator for OS X 10.7? The only ones I've found are at least 6 or 7 years old and wont run on Lion. Please help me as I want to play Final Fantasy VII and this seems like the best way without having to run bootcamp.

macmaverickk

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
PSX Emulator for 10.7

I know this post is long, but it's only cause I'm going to be very specific to avoid any confusion. The whole process should take less time then I'm going to spend explaining it :)

1) Download the emulator here (Look towards the bottom of the list for the latest release of PCSX). It will need to be decompressed twice, and you will most likely need The Unarchiver from the Mac App Store to do so... it's free though.

2) Download BIOS files here.

3) Drag the emulator to you applications folder, then run it. It will have some notice pop up, but just click "okay" (or whatever it says). Then quit the application.

4) Decompress the BIOS files.

5) Click on Finder, and at the top menu bar, click "Go". Now, hold the "Option" key on your keyboard, and you will notice "Library" magically appears in the middle of the list... click it.

6) In that new window, open "Application Support", and towards the bottom open "Pcsxr". Now drag that "BIOS" folder you just extracted into there. A little warning will pop up, just click "Replace".

7) Download games. I really like romhustler.net for my ROM's... Here are the links for Finally Fantasy VII (it's a 3-disc game since it's so big)

1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3

8) Extract the RAR files... And that game folder that extracts from it, I would personally put into another folder called "PSX ROMs" and move it to my Documents folder, just to be organized... But you can put them wherever you want. But one thing here is very important, DON'T mess around with the files (labeled .bin, .mds, & .cue) inside your game folder. Just keep them in there and don't add any other game files to that folder (Keep one game per folder).

EDIT: Sometimes the ROMs downloaded are in .ecm format, which PCSXR will not read... You can download this app called ECM in the App Store so you can convert your .ecm's into a readable .img/.bin format. And once that's done, you can delete the original .ecm file.

9) Run your PSX emulator once again, go to File>Preferences, then click Plugins at the top. Under "Controller" click Configure. Click any selection, then hit Backspace to clear it. Then double-tap that selection again, and click the key on your keyboard that you want that button associated with, and then go on to the next selection. Click Okay at the bottom when you're done. Here are the optimal settings in my opinion:

Up - "W" Key
Down - "S"
Left - "A"
Right - "D"
Cross - Down button
Circle - Right button
Square - Left button
Triangle - Up button
L1 - "?" Key
R1 - "Shift"
L2 - " <-- The the quotation key :)
R2 - "Enter"
Select - "O"
Start - "P"

10) Click "File" at the top menu bar, then "RUN ISO". Then locate the game folder, and open whichever icon it lets you click (Most of the time, it will be a .img file, but .cue and .bin have worked for me in the past... it's just trial and error). Some games open instantly, some take up to 10 seconds to show anything. So just be patient :)

11) And there you have it!!

Notes:

I suggest buying something like this. It will make playing games so much easier. I would personally get this exact one because 1) it's the cheapest out there, and 2) because you would need a WIRED controller because of connectivity issues. Your Mac should recognize the controller just fine. But you need to have it plugged into your computer BEFORE you run the emulator; at which point you could go through recalibrating the buttons for your controller (as you did for your keyboard) so you can play your games just like you did 15 years ago :)

Also, if the sound is messed up and echoey (like it was on mine), go to Preferences>Plugins, under "Sound" click Configure. Slide the "Reverb" slider to the left to turn it off. That helped me... I don't even know why it was on...

One more thing... I found this program to be a little buggy after already playing one ROM, so to prevent this, just quit the app after every game you play... even if you want to immediately start playing another game, just start the whole app over.

Everyone: let me know your successes, any issues you run into, or even suggest ways to make any part of this tutorial simpler. Thanks!!

Last edited:

rayanchisa

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
thank you!

first of all, i'd like you say thank you for helping me revive my childhood :) its been awesome so far. but i've recently downloaded new roms and they're in .bin format which the pscxr won't open (its grayed out). Any idea how to solve this problem?

thank you very much sir! :)

Jyscall

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Awesome emulator, I wasn't expected that comfort on mac, far better than any of the win emu (at least for ff7 :))

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I used to mess about with PSX emulation on my Mac, but soon realised it was just as easy to get hold of a secondhand PS1 and games etc.

FPX

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Highly specific request!

Hello there.
First of all, sorry for my english (I'm saying this in advance so you won't be surprised!).

For so many years I've had a dream: playing Uefa Champions League Season 1998/1999 again. I just loved the game (something different from the same old FIFAs and the upcoming ISS PRO EVO) and it's been the best Videogame ever for those who love classic teams.

I lost the original game and I moved out of my hometown so I don't have access to my elder bro's ps one... so... I thought I could find a nice psx emulator for my MacBook Pro and, well you've already figured out.

Ok: I found it but it doesn't work properly. I'm using PCSX Reloaded and I found the rom: everything works fine until I start a match (any match). Then black screen - freezes - over. I tried over and over again (training mode, quick match, etc) - same problem every time.

Is there anyone who could suggest a solution?

Please help if you think you can :)

Cheers

FP

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Hello there.
First of all, sorry for my english (I'm saying this in advance so you won't be surprised!).

For so many years I've had a dream: playing Uefa Champions League Season 1998/1999 again. I just loved the game (something different from the same old FIFAs and the upcoming ISS PRO EVO) and it's been the best Videogame ever for those who love classic teams.

I lost the original game and I moved out of my hometown so I don't have access to my elder bro's ps one... so... I thought I could find a nice psx emulator for my MacBook Pro and, well you've already figured out.

Ok: I found it but it doesn't work properly. I'm using PCSX Reloaded and I found the rom: everything works fine until I start a match (any match). Then black screen - freezes - over. I tried over and over again (training mode, quick match, etc) - same problem every time.

Cheers

FP

This may not be the reply you are looking for but try playing it on a PSP running custom firmware as an EBOOT.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
OK, I have this working the best it has ever worked, thank you :)

I have even got my PS3 wireless controller to work with it :)

Last edited:

M1n3cr4ftrul35

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2013
PSX Emulator for 10.7

I know this post is long, but it's only cause I'm going to be very specific to avoid any confusion. The whole process should take less time then I'm going to spend explaining it :)

1) Download the emulator here (Look towards the bottom of the list for the latest release of PCSX). It will need to be decompressed twice, and you will most likely need The Unarchiver from the Mac App Store to do so... it's free though.

2) Download BIOS files here.

3) Drag the emulator to you applications folder, then run it. It will have some notice pop up, but just click "okay" (or whatever it says). Then quit the application.

4) Decompress the BIOS files.

5) Click on Finder, and at the top menu bar, click "Go". Now, hold the "Option" key on your keyboard, and you will notice "Library" magically appears in the middle of the list... click it.

6) In that new window, open "Application Support", and towards the bottom open "Pcsxr". Now drag that "BIOS" folder you just extracted into there. A little warning will pop up, just click "Replace".

7) Download games. I really like romhustler.net for my ROM's... Here are the links for Finally Fantasy VII (it's a 3-disc game since it's so big)

1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3

8) Extract the RAR files... And that game folder that extracts from it, I would personally put into another folder called "PSX ROMs" and move it to my Documents folder, just to be organized... But you can put them wherever you want. But one thing here is very important, DON'T mess around with the files (labeled .bin, .mds, & .cue) inside your game folder. Just keep them in there and don't add any other game files to that folder (Keep one game per folder).

EDIT: Sometimes the ROMs downloaded are in .ecm format, which PCSXR will not read... You can download this app called ECM in the App Store so you can convert your .ecm's into a readable .img/.bin format. And once that's done, you can delete the original .ecm file.

9) Run your PSX emulator once again, go to File>Preferences, then click Plugins at the top. Under "Controller" click Configure. Click any selection, then hit Backspace to clear it. Then double-tap that selection again, and click the key on your keyboard that you want that button associated with, and then go on to the next selection. Click Okay at the bottom when you're done. Here are the optimal settings in my opinion:

Up - "W" Key
Down - "S"
Left - "A"
Right - "D"
Cross - Down button
Circle - Right button
Square - Left button
Triangle - Up button
L1 - "?" Key
R1 - "Shift"
L2 - " <-- The the quotation key :)
R2 - "Enter"
Select - "O"
Start - "P"

10) Click "File" at the top menu bar, then "RUN ISO". Then locate the game folder, and open whichever icon it lets you click (Most of the time, it will be a .img file, but .cue and .bin have worked for me in the past... it's just trial and error). Some games open instantly, some take up to 10 seconds to show anything. So just be patient :)

11) And there you have it!!

Notes:

I suggest buying something like this. It will make playing games so much easier. I would personally get this exact one because 1) it's the cheapest out there, and 2) because you would need a WIRED controller because of connectivity issues. Your Mac should recognize the controller just fine. But you need to have it plugged into your computer BEFORE you run the emulator; at which point you could go through recalibrating the buttons for your controller (as you did for your keyboard) so you can play your games just like you did 15 years ago :)

Also, if the sound is messed up and echoey (like it was on mine), go to Preferences>Plugins, under "Sound" click Configure. Slide the "Reverb" slider to the left to turn it off. That helped me... I don't even know why it was on...

One more thing... I found this program to be a little buggy after already playing one ROM, so to prevent this, just quit the app after every game you play... even if you want to immediately start playing another game, just start the whole app over.

Everyone: let me know your successes, any issues you run into, or even suggest ways to make any part of this tutorial simpler. Thanks!!

Step 2's link is broke man.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
That is because it is not legal to have bios files online for download, and since that link was found to them it has been removed for that very reason.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi guys, tried this on a MBP 15' /2.53GHz i5/8Gb DDR3/10.8.5 and simply psx doesn't open.
The folder that you specify isn't there.I even tried creating one, putting the bios there, and nothing.
Downloaded a newer version of PSXR, and the same.
Any idea?

MontuRa

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
.mcr saves and saves from other games

So I just got my shiny new macbook air and downloaded PCSX-R, last week i had successfully been playing Suikoden 2 on my pc and had loaded up a previous save from Suikoden .

PCSX-R seems to work just fine except for some wonky audio in the opening cinematic, but i can live with that. What i'm struggling with is the fact that when i try to use an .mcr format save file from EPSXE for suikoden 2 OR try to load a suikoden 1 save (from gamefaqs, multiple formats like .gme) in order to make a new game, i get a 'load error' message.

I need a hand either finding/formatting a suikoden 1 save or formatting my suikoden 2 saves, hopefully someone with some more experience can give me a hand?

Additional details: all the saves i tried show up just fine when i'm setting up the memory cards in PCSXR, tells me the lvl of the character and whatnot, won't work in game though.

omiad3

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Highly specific request!

Hello there.

Cheers

FP

go to preferences,click the plugins tab, go to your graphics plugin and switch it to the other plugin that comes with pcsxr. you wont be able to play fullscreen probably but it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.