Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

smart-watch-IOS-running-450x253-2-300x168.jpg

The Pebble wristwatch has tallied up a Kickstarter-record breaking $8 million in pledges and now has a big endorsement with the announcement of its first third-party app integration.

Popular fitness app RunKeeper has announced that its users will be able to see in-activity fitness data, start and stop timing and more on the Pebble watch when it launches this fall.
Well, when Pebble approached us about integrating with RunKeeper, we loved the idea. We know that many of you are always looking for ways to make your fitness tracking easier, and with Pebble integration, you won't ever have to pull the phone out of your pocket or armband - you can just see and do everything you need right from your watch (which connects with the phone via bluetooth). Not to mention that quite a few of you have been requesting it in our support forum as well.

We are pleased to announce that, when the Pebble watches are available, they will be integrated with RunKeeper! We are also super honored to be the very first app integration partner that Pebble chose to work with.
The Pebble watch has a lot of promise on its own, but, like the iPhone and the App Store, the real promise for it is what third parties will do via its API.

US buyers can preorder a Jet Black Pebble watch via Kickstarter for $115, while foreign buyers will pay slightly more to cover shipping.

Article Link: RunKeeper Is Pebble's First Third-Party Partner

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don’t like e-ink for reading. Gray on gray! (Except in bright sun, where it’s still not as good paper but sure beats illuminated screens.)

I DO like the idea for a watch, though! Battery life matters a lot there, and it looks much nicer than LCD watch displays.

yankdog

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
First...

make RunKeeper a great app and respond to users who have problems, like me. I dumped RunKeeper about 6-7 months ago due to many issues, so if you want to add a watch to the mix go right ahead. But don't expect those of us who have had issues with you to flock back.

If you want to see how many have issues, note the ratings in the app store. Embarrassing.

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
Sweet. I'm getting the Pebble and have been using RunKeeper for a couple years now. Now I really can't wait to get the watch!

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
question for those who run with their phones:

how do you keep it clean? how do you have it on your body?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

My girlfriend puts her watch over a wrist sweatband thing when she goes running and climbing.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Sweet, this is what I was hoping for. Now all it needs is a built in mic and small speaker so that I can use Siri without taking out my phone. Mainly for in my car to change music, as the mic on my BT stereo is behind the faceplate, meaning it can only barely understand me.

mriv3

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
NJ

I have it on a holster that goes on my side. I also use bluetooth headphones, that way I never really have to touch my phone while I'm running.

skydreamer0521

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Not very user friendly. Try My Run Stats instead.

I tried to use RunKeeper a few times and it seemed too complex to just record my runs. I tried My Run Stats and it did exactly what I needed to keep track of my training.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Sweet, this is what I was hoping for. Now all it needs is a built in mic and small speaker so that I can use Siri without taking out my phone. Mainly for in my car to change music, as the mic on my BT stereo is behind the faceplate, meaning it can only barely understand me.

You should post that on the kickstarter page as they seem to be listening to what people are asking for.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
You should post that on the kickstarter page as they seem to be listening to what people are asking for.

They are? Where's bluetooth 4.0? Where's the mic? Where are the other things people have asked for more than 'runkeeper integration'?

Runkeeper has had so many issues. I dumped it a year or so back when an update wiped every single bit of my data out and they sent an email out deeming that an acceptable flaw. Bad company, mediocre addition (especially since Pebble already had a running app in the video pitch).

bnzjamin

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
They are? Where's bluetooth 4.0? Where's the mic? Where are the other things people have asked for more than 'runkeeper integration'?

I agree but you can't look at it this from the perspective of Pebble having run out and begged RunKeeper to be a partner. I'd double down that RunKeeper contacted them and Pebble is being rewarded somehow. Now if they would only use some of that extra scratch to implement more user based suggestions, we'd be alright.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

Runkeeper has had so many issues. I dumped it a year or so back when an update wiped every single bit of my data out and they sent an email out deeming that an acceptable flaw. Bad company, mediocre addition (especially since Pebble already had a running app in the video pitch).

I said they are listening, they may not be acting. ;)

One of the issues they addressed was how waterproof it was. In any case posting on their page would likely have more impact than posting here. ;)

Honestly I thought your suggesting of a mic and speaker was a good one. Now with a bankroll of $8M it might not be out of the question - even if it does end up in a future version.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Hey Runkeeper, check your forums. Your users are asking for a lot of things, but a watch isn't one of them.

----------

In my shorts pocket, don't get too precious.

Ziplock bag and then in a pouch on my water belt. Or pocket.

alanyuan

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I use an armband. Strongly recommend a product called tuneband for iPhone. It's discounted on amazon I think. Best armband to date.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
I tried to use RunKeeper a few times and it seemed too complex to just record my runs. I tried My Run Stats and it did exactly what I needed to keep track of my training.

You registered just to say that? Are you the developer of My Run Stats? If so, you'd have more credibility if you came right out and said so. Astroturfing is never a good way to promote a product, but especially so when you're bad at it.

If it was a genuine comment, sorry for calling it out. It just smells like an info-mercial.

----------

When I used to take my phone running I just carried it and hoped it didn't rain (and wiped it down when I got back...). The few times I ran to work in winter, I put it in a sandwich bag with my work pass to keep them both dry.

Now I have the cheapest Garmin GPS watch (I think it's called a 105) and that works really well for me, except when I forget to put it in my kit bag (like today). I'm much happier taking a £100 watch vs. a £500 phone...

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006

I run with my iPhone 4S using a SPIbelt. It works quite well and you don't really notice it. The have a waterproof version but on days that it's really humid or rainy, I just put the iPhone in a Ziplock bag, then put it in the SPIbelt. It seems to have no problem with GPS signals even when in the pouch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.