Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1
CWhitmarsh
macrumors newbie

MS Word automatically opens at startup...

I've read on here that others have had this problem. I read several posts on this site and others about deleting word from the Login Items section, however, there aren't any programs listed in this section on my MacBook Pro.

I am new to macs so any help is greatly appreciated.
CWhitmarsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Hold down the MS Word icon on the dock and click Options then set it to NOT open at startup.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:16 AM   #3
CWhitmarsh
macrumors newbie

Well it wasn't set to open, but you led me to the fix anyway. Apparently, I wasn't actually closing the program (I was just clicking the red dot at the top left) so word was still open when I would restart and it automatically opened back up. When I did what you said, I told it to quit Word and then rebooted and it didn't open back up.

Thanks for the assistance.
CWhitmarsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:33 AM   #4
aldejesus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWhitmarsh View Post
Well it wasn't set to open, but you led me to the fix anyway. Apparently, I wasn't actually closing the program (I was just clicking the red dot at the top left) so word was still open when I would restart and it automatically opened back up. When I did what you said, I told it to quit Word and then rebooted and it didn't open back up.

Thanks for the assistance.
Always close applications with "command+Q" to prevent this from happening.
aldejesus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:39 AM   #5
davige
macrumors member

Firefox opens at startup, no matter what

Firefox opens when I start my 2009 MBP, Lion. No, the box is not checked in SysPrefs to re-open at startup. No the dock icon is not checked to open at startup. No, it is not listed in my startup items. IT JUST OPENS! I had some wierd permissions issues recently, tried everything then just reloaded Lion to fix it. The only issue since then is this auto-opening problem. Any ideas?

Update: If I remove FF from the dock, shutdown computer then restart, FF opens itself and installs itself in the dock. Wierd!!!!

Last edited by davige; May 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
davige is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion