Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge reports on information it has received regarding the next-generation iPhone, claiming that Apple will indeed be making the move to a 4-inch display by increasing the height only has had been previously speculated. To accommodate the taller screen, the body of the device will also become slightly taller, but it will also see an approximately 20% reduction in thickness.
What we've learned: the new iPhone will indeed be longer and thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S. Approximate measurements are 125mm by 58.5mm by 7.4mm--a 10mm jump in height, nearly 2mm reduction in thickness, and virtually identical width. According to our source, Apple will make one major change to the rear casing, adding a metal panel to the central back of the new iPhone. This panel will be flat, not curved, and metal, not ceramic. Our artist's rendition provides a rough idea of what this change will look like; it echoes the current-generation iMac design, to be sure.
ilounge_iphone_5_taller.jpg

ilounge_iphone_5_thinner.jpg

The report also claims that Apple will be adopting the rumored smaller dock connector for the device, which will be "closer to a pill shape" than the existing connector.

ilounge_iphone_5_dock.jpg

iLounge has offered some correct information in the past, and was rather accurate in its claims regarding the latest iPad. Not all of the site's claims came to fruition, however, with the new iPad's front-facing camera failing to gain HD resolution and Apple offering no sign of an enhanced smart cover for the device.

Article Link: More Claims of Taller, Thinner Next-Generation iPhone with 4-Inch Screen and New Dock Connector

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
utter BS... Not gonna happen...
- no change of aspect ratio is needed (fragmentation anyone? 16/9 is an Android/WP thing, 3/2 is the Apple "trademark" design)
- no need for thinner (plus what about battery life, LTE?)

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Taller and Thinner

I am not buying it. I'm just not sold on the concept. I would think that it would be somewhat disproportional of sorts in my hands. It would feel 'awkward' in a way. I think thinner is the right way to go, but keeping the same dimensions otherwise would be better. At the very least, keep the same scaling.

- Jay

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Apple engineers, if you read this: don't make the device a freaking 7.3 mm or so thin! Keep it around 9 mm or so and use that additional 2 mm for a bigger battery!

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Horribly ugly. The Incredible2 has a four inch screen and they accomplished that by making the phone slightly taller and wider than the iPhone. Its size is proportional and it looks a lot better than this ugly mockup.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
New dock connector is lame.

Keep the same or go microUSB. Seriously... OMG.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I'm sad to see there hasn't been anymore rumors about the next generation iPhone having built in airbags. I drop my phone way too much, and been wanting to use my phone without a case.

The increase in screen size is nice though. My iPhone is starting to feel dated even thought I have the latest generation tech in it (4S).

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Apple engineers, if you read this: don't make the device a freaking 7.3 mm or so thin! Keep it around 9 mm or so and use that additional 2 mm for a bigger battery!

Agreed. I don't understand this obsession with thinner devices. They're harder to hold (and I would guess more fragile). And yes, that proposed design looks absurd. Why bother with a center section of metal surrounded by glass? It makes no sense. It's not more durable, since a dropped phone often lands on its edges.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
utter BS... Not gonna happen...
- no change of aspect ratio is needed (fragmentation anyone? 16/9 is an Android/WP thing, 3/2 is the Apple "trademark" design)
- no need for thinner (plus what about battery life, LTE?)

Exactly this.

Apple has 600K+ apps designed for 3:2. They've railed about Android fragmentation. There's no way in hell that they're changing the aspect ratio now. Larger screen? I'll buy that. But they'll be expanding it in both directions. In the mockups there's still the standard bevel on the left and right sides of the screens. You really think they'll expand upwards before using all of that space? My prediction is a 4" screen, same 960x640 resolution, screen goes right up to the side edges, slightly taller and wider device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.