Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all. I'm not sure where to post this topic so hopefully this is the area.

Many home receivers now support Airplay and also provide their own Apps to control the receiver via your ipad/ipod (Denon AVR1912 for example).

HOWEVER, what I cannot find is a receiver that supports this scenario:

1)Receiver streams iTunes music directly from PC/Mac via local network connection
2)iPad App allows me to choose/change the songs being streamed from step #1 above.

Now, there are PLENTY of receviers that do #1...but I can't find any that do #2. All the Apps control are the receiver functions like volume, input selection, bass/treble, etc. Real basic receiver stuff.

Can anyone recommend a receiver make/model that can do 1 and 2? Or, is there some inherent reason why NOBODY can do this?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If the receiver supports AirPlay, you should be able to select it from within iTunes as a second speaker.

You should also be able to control the music with Apple's Remote app via Home Sharing.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
If the receiver supports AirPlay, you should be able to select it from within iTunes as a second speaker.

You should also be able to control the music with Apple's Remote app via Home Sharing.
That's exactly how my new Pioneer receiver works. The iPhone, iPad, and iTunes all see it as an AirPlay speaker. It works seamlessly.

There is also an iPhone and iPad (not universal) application called "iControl 2" which controls not only the audio and video characteristics, but also things like the Internet radio stations that the receiver can stream by itself. It's a free app.

You should be able to use Apple's "Remote" application to change songs on the Mac/PC. It's also free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.