Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayApple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
This is great! I wonder if it will be classic pay-to-play or if Bethesda will go the micro-transaction route.
Edit: Never mind that first comment, it won't be very good.

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yeah, Zenimax made me flinch.

I really hope the elf faces are better than in Skyrim, first thing I did was find better face mods, after I installed it.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
It started development in 2007, which in my mind makes it more likely that it will.. er... not suck.

As Liquorpuki mentioned, this one, and also 99% of all new MMO's, looks like a WoW-copy to some degree, and one wonders if that's the only thing that sells nowadays? Developers doesn't seem to dare to go against the stream, perhaps they should be less business-minded and more innovative!

That being said, just look 2D sidescrollers - you could say that any 2D sidescroller is similar to Super Mario for example, and it might not be a case of it being similar, a copy or a clone, but merely that some games in some genres that later becomes "THE game of that genre" simply defines that genre and that trend can't be broken?

Anyways this game looks really interesting and it's relly nice to see more games being developed for the Mac with the same release date as for PC (I assume).

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
That being said, just look 2D sidescrollers - you could say that any 2D sidescroller is similar to Super Mario for example, and it might not be a case of it being similar, a copy or a clone, but merely that some games in some genres that later becomes "THE game of that genre" simply defines that genre and that trend can't be broken?

I'm a big fan of sandbox MMO's. If there's any MMO IP that should've been a sandbox, it's Elder Scrolls because all the single player games are sandboxes and Bethesda RPG gamers expect living worlds, not static WoW worlds where NPC's just stand in one spot without moving.

And I don't think any WoW themepark clone can beat WoW at its own game. Mostly because 8 years after WoW came out, most people are now sick of the whole level grind through questing, raid/pvp endgame thing. The formula is old and boring now

neino

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Even better is that it uses Hero Engine, the same hunk of junk that powers SW:TOR, and looking at the demo-reel for the engine from last month, it's clear it is better suited for indie MMOs rather than triple-A productions. And if I heard the description of mechanics in the game without knowing the developer or game title, I would think it's Guild Wars 2 ...Zynga has been known for the developer of social games, but the folks at Zynga now publishes puzzle games such as bubble safari and recently I noticed koram game has developed a game based on anime style wartune series, which try to compete againt Scarlet Blade. Such a browser game can be better than a single social game. happy with your friends and family.

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
And I don't think any WoW themepark clone can beat WoW at its own game. Mostly because 8 years after WoW came out, most people are now sick of the whole level grind through questing, raid/pvp endgame thing. The formula is old and boring now

uhhh.. that formula was old and boring when WoW came out brand new, and WoW still did good. i played several MMOs before WoW that did the same exact things.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
uhhh.. that formula was old and boring when WoW came out brand new, and WoW still did good. i played several MMOs before WoW that did the same exact things.

Good point and I was just thinking the same thing. People are still playing EverQuest from 1999 and Ultima Online from even earlier. Meantime with well over 10 million players, it is going to be many years before WoW goes away. I'd say there are quite a lot of MMO players who aren't sick of the basic formula at all. It clearly continues to sell well.

I hope The Elder Scrolls Online turns out well. In particular, I hope they are very careful not to botch the launch which can kill a new MMO, even what later turns out to be a decent one never seems to recover from a bad launch.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

What things?

Pre WOW Themepark = level grind by spawn camping, economy = trade from inventory, level based skills, lose XP on death, take you a long ass time to kill something, devs extremely happy with a quarter of a million subs

WoW Themepark = grind by questing, economy = auction house, talent trees, no death penalty, everything made accessible and easy, get 10 million subs and blow up the market

Post WOW Themepark = reskin WoW and add some marginal innovation (SWTOR and voice acting) hoping you can hit 10 million subs, get peak subscriber #'s after release, watch them leave once the dopamine kick from trying something new goes away, go f2p or shut down

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Here's a link to the game details I posted in another thread

It's way early but I have a feeling the game is gonna suck. Looks like they're just doing what every other developer is doing and copying WoW. Even the screenshots look more like WoW than Oblivion.

I don''t understand are you saying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is coming to Mac version some time this year ?And is going look like WoW?

wikipedia is saying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim came out June 2012 for Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and this does not look like WoW.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I don''t understand are you saying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is coming to Mac version some time this year ?And is going look like WoW?

wikipedia is saying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim came out June 2012 for Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and this does not look like WoW.

No, there's an MMO game using the Elder Scrolls IP that's coming out in the future. It's not Skyrim, it's a brand new game.

And yeah, it looks like they copied WoW's color palette (among other things)

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
No, there's an MMO game using the Elder Scrolls IP that's coming out in the future. It's not Skyrim, it's a brand new game.

What do you mean ?

Also what do you mean they using Elder Scrolls name.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
WoW Themepark = grind by questing, economy = auction house, talent trees, no death penalty, everything made accessible and easy, get 10 million subs and blow up the market
none of that was really new besides the subjective "accessible and easy" part maybe... and getting 10 million subs was new.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

<Very OT> but it's funny you should say that.

I'm reading a good novel at the moment about a fictional WoW competitor in which the players create their own two factions based on colour palettes; with the dominant garish coloured faction kicking the stuffing out of the smaller "Earthtone Coalition".

It kind of makes me wonder if there's something about MMOs that draws in people who like garish colours. A need to seek attention in a more 'social' MMO? Younger age profile?

I can't see myself going for a MMO, regardless of the colour of my clothes. That said, I'd love to play a game where you can wander all of Tamriel.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Okay.... what MMO's were you playing back then?

lets see... MMOs I played before WoW was out... I doubt I can remember them all... this is just what I remember playing before WoW existed in no particular order.

Ultima Online, Everquest, Everquest 2, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Lineage, Lineage 2, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes, Final Fantasy XI, Earth & Beyond, Eve Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Entropia...

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
lets see... MMOs I played before WoW was out... I doubt I can remember them all... this is just what I remember playing before WoW existed in no particular order.

Ultima Online, Everquest, Everquest 2, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Lineage, Lineage 2, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes, Final Fantasy XI, Earth & Beyond, Eve Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Entropia...

I've played AO, AC2, DAoC, COH, Matrix Online, PS, SWG, SB, DC Online, DAoC, SWTOR and here's what I've seen. Since WOW dropped, all I've seen are devs trying to duplicate WOW's themepark design thinking they can also get 10 million subs. No major studio has tried to make a sandbox for the past 8 years. Features that used to be MMO staples like player housing, nobody's putting in games anymore because WOW didn't have them. WOW's main innovation, leveling through questing, is now in every game.

If people aren't getting sick of the WOW formula, I don't know why every game that's used it (which is pretty much every recent MMO) has either lost subs or has had to go f2p to survive. It's been 8 years already, the last expansion was underwhelming, the highlight of the newest one is you get to be a panda. But WOW still holds marketshare. Because devs like Cryptic, Bioware, and Zenimax think they're innovating when they're just reskinning WOW

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I've played AO, AC2, DAoC, COH, Matrix Online, PS, SWG, SB, DC Online, DAoC, SWTOR and here's what I've seen. Since WOW dropped, all I've seen are devs trying to duplicate WOW's themepark design thinking they can also get 10 million subs. No major studio has tried to make a sandbox for the past 8 years. Features that used to be MMO staples like player housing, nobody's putting in games anymore because WOW didn't have them. WOW's main innovation, leveling through questing, is now in every game.

If people aren't getting sick of the WOW formula, I don't know why every game that's used it (which is pretty much every recent MMO) has either lost subs or has had to go f2p to survive. It's been 8 years already, the last expansion was underwhelming, the highlight of the newest one is you get to be a panda. But WOW still holds marketshare. Because devs like Cryptic, Bioware, and Zenimax think they're innovating when they're just reskinning WOW

I agree in many ways... There was a flood of MMOs after WoW that are cheap junk I cannot stand... But that includes WoW as well, I have always hated it and cannot understand why people liked it so much. I long for the good old days to have the open virtual world MMO and not just a themepark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.