Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I’m sorry if this question isn’t right in this forum, but can anybody tell me if Resume was fixed in Mountain Lion?

In Lion, windows, that are closed, of running applications (like the Mail, iCal or iTunes main windows) open after a restart. So in the end, Resume always creates an annoying mess after a restart, for me, instead of saving time.

Thanks in advance!

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks! Just double checking: You're not talking of the check box setting (I know this one finally works as well), but the actual windows that always forget to close themselves when their app is being started by resume, right? :)

Last edited:

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
No, but only because this is a feature that apps need to implement properly for it to work right. Word, Chrome, etc still open new windows on startup.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Okay, that means Mail, Calendar, and iTunes still don’t have it correctly implemented?

kikuchiyo

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Okay, that means Mail, Calendar, and iTunes still don’t have it correctly implemented?

I may have misunderstood but there are applications that currently deal with resume correctly (iTunes for example - will open back up in fullscreen after a reboot in Lion if it closed in fullscreen) and in ML they will remember not to open any windows if they were running windowless before a restart. Basically those programs have FS implemented correctly in Lion and will remember their states better in ML.

Other applications however, are not working properly with Lion resume. Chrome, for me, will always restart in windowed mode even though it's always FS. In ML they will still not remember the state.

At least that's what I understood from the posts - I could be wrong since I'm not a developer on ML. Also, it'll likely be time for me to move from Chrome back to Safari if that's the case.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Alright, I think I understand it. Mail, iCal and iTunes restore full screen correctly, that’s true. But as I often have no windows of those programs opened (to check my mails in the background for example), it’s particularly annoying that the main window opens no matter if it was closed before the restart.

So if this behaviour is fixed for compatible applications, I’m all happy. :)

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
After having read over my posts again, I felt it might be better to explain it with some screenshots. In Lion, it does not work as expected for some situations. Lets assume, this is how the desktop looks like:

Before.png

Note that this is the only desktop and there are no full screen applications opened. So we have Mail and iCal running without any windows. (You can ignore the minimised Safari window, this works perfectly well.)

Now, I restart the computer with the window resume option turned on. As soon as the desktop reappears, it looks cluttered like that:

After.png

Even with only Apple apps running, it looks quite different from before the restart, doesn’t it? I noticed this only applies to those Apple apps that have a “main” window. The pure document apps like Pages or Preview work perfectly well. And this is my questions (I’m asking again because I have the feeling I didn’t ask very clear):

Are apps like iCal and Mail fixed in Mountain Lion? Or is the main window in iCal and Mail still being restored even if it wasn’t open before the restart?

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
i know what you mean, it's annoying as hell.
also, when i restart, it always focuses on fullscreen itunes.
GRRRRRRR
give me my desktop1 space plox

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I tried this on the latest build of 10.8:

- Opened Mail, Safari, iTunes, Calendar.
- Closed all windows, but left the Apps running.
- Restarted with the Restore box checked.

Result: Calendar and Mail opened with windows, Safari and iTunes did not.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Result: Calendar and Mail opened with windows, Safari and iTunes did not.

Thank you! That’s really a shame. If it remains like this in the final version, I’ll definitely disable if forever, then.

(I guess it’s because you would, in most cases, want to see the main window when (re)starting a single application manually by clicking its icon. But I’m sure Apple could do better and separate those two “app starting cases”. It just doesn’t make sense how it works now.)

Last edited:

Tora Shin

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Preston, UK
This has been annoying my hugely too. I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed! Luckily for you, I have one workaround. I used Automator (for the first time!) to make a program that hides mail if it is open, then set it as a startup program.
Annoyingly, it doesn't always work properly, because there's another issue with Lion where it can take ages to run startup items because it seems to wait for iTunes to sync with any iPhones/ipods first >:-|
It does seem to work more often when i move the program to the top of the startup items list though.
Ok, here's how I made it:
At the top of the workflow, add "run applescript" then paste this into it:

on run
tell application "System Events"
set myCheck to exists application process "Mail"
if myCheck then
tell application "System Events"
set visible of process "Mail" to false
end tell
else
--exit code
end if
end tell
end run

then I added a pause for 0.1 seconds, then set it to loop 20 times, so it will try to hide mail over the 2 second period it runs for. You might want to change this period, depending on how long it takes your mac to open mail.

I'll add a DropIr link to a copy of my app... which I'm not sure will work: http://d.pr/f/Alrd

Last edited:

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Luckily for you, I have one workaround. I used Automator (for the first time!) to make a program that hides mail if it is open, then set it as a startup program.

Thank you, it’s a nice idea, but by the time it starts, I have already clicked the window away. I guess I have to wait for Apple to fix it. Until then, I won’t use resume (which will probably be till the end of my life).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.