Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old May 3, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
greno
macrumors newbie

cannot access recovery

Hi,
I have a Mac-mini mid-2011 and I just purchased an external hard drive for it.

I'm trying to setup the external drive so I can boot both Lion and Mountain Lion.

The first step was to format the external drive using Disk Utility. That went fine. I created 2 partitions and formatted them HFS+ journaled.

Now what I want to do is to create an image backup of my existing Lion installation and copy it to the external drive. So simple, hold down Command-R while restarting and boot into the recovery utilities. Right?

Well, wrong! For whatever reason, this Mac-mini refuses to boot into recovery tools. I am using a Windows keyboard. So I tried the WindowsKey-r = nope. Tried the AltKey-r = nope. Tried the WindowsKey-AltKey-r = nope.

So how do I get booted into the utilities on this Mac-mini?

greno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Clone your internal drive to the external using Carbon Copy Cloner. That will clone the recovery partition, as well.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
greno
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Clone your internal drive to the external using Carbon Copy Cloner. That will clone the recovery partition, as well.
I'll look at that. Thanks.

But I'm also concerned about why this Mac-mini will not boot into the recovery tools. I vaguely remember when I set it up that it did not recognize the keyboard right off and I had to tell it what kind of keyboard it was. And it's worked fine ever since. But I'm wondering if that is now causing this problem with booting into recovery tools.

Old May 3, 2012, 04:31 PM   #4
greno
macrumors newbie

CCC got the internal cloned to the external.

And going into Keyboard and running a redetect seems to have straightened out the keyboard.

Now holding down OptionKey on restart brought up the partitions list.

Only one minor problem left. My mouse was not working there to select one of the partitions. Had to tab through them and hit Enter.

Old May 3, 2012, 04:44 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by greno View Post
Only one minor problem left. My mouse was not working there to select one of the partitions. Had to tab through them and hit Enter.
It may be that your mouse drivers aren't installed on all the available boot machines. Once you've successfully booted into each option and verified the mouse works, it may then work when selecting a boot partition.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
greno
macrumors newbie

Booted the choices.

And now I get mouse movement during partition boot selection but only in the vertical direction. No horizontal. Weird.

Well, anyway, tabbing works.

Old May 3, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Pheo
macrumors regular

Also be careful around using ALTGR not ALT (the Righthand side one), my mini doesn't accept the left hand side key.

Need to get me a Bluetooth apple keyboard really!
Pheo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Poki
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheo View Post
Also be careful around using ALTGR not ALT (the Righthand side one), my mini doesn't accept the left hand side key.

Need to get me a Bluetooth apple keyboard really!
Yeah, get that keyboard - the best one on the market! And I really know that - I tried dozens of keyboards 'cos I have to write thousands of words a day, and the Apple keyboard is the fastest and most comfortable to write on.

As for alt - an Apple keyboard doesn't have ALT GR, so I'm wondering why the mini doesn't accept the left Alt... probably just a minor software bug.
Poki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:40 AM   #9
Pheo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poki View Post
Yeah, get that keyboard - the best one on the market! And I really know that - I tried dozens of keyboards 'cos I have to write thousands of words a day, and the Apple keyboard is the fastest and most comfortable to write on.

As for alt - an Apple keyboard doesn't have ALT GR, so I'm wondering why the mini doesn't accept the left Alt... probably just a minor software bug.
Yeah very odd! But doesn't do it for everything! Might just be certain keyboards!
Pheo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini