Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

elderscroll.jpg

The Elder Scrolls Online massive multiplayer online game will arrive on the Mac and PC in 2013, reports Game Informer magazine.
Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.

Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.
More details for the game will be forthcoming, including in the June issue of Game Informer.

Article Link: Elder Scrolls MMO Coming to the Mac in 2013

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Please. can Oblivion and Skyrim come native to mac as well?

Don't want Feral or Aspyr to make a port.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
This game is going to be badass. I've been waiting for any word on it since 2006. Matt Firor, the lead of ZeniMax Online, was the lead on DAoC back in its glory days. I played DAoC for years, and it had hands down the best PvP ever in an MMO. it's because you need 3 factions to make great PvP, and I am so happy to hear they will go this route in Elder Scrolls Online. The Elder Scrolls universe is a perfect fit for an MMO. All the deep lore and rich world will make an incredible online world. I am so exited to see more on this game. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do between now and late 2013 lol

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Have to say I was shocked to hear about the Mac port. I'm used to having to beg for an eventual port (only to know that it will never happen).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

I'd rather have Feral do it. They make excellent ports. If Bethesda did so it would most likely be Cider.

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I'd rather have Feral do it. They make excellent ports. If Bethesda did so it would most likely be Cider.

But then it will be so overpriced... if Bethesda did it even if it is a Cider it will come out on Steam, so whenever there is a sale you can pick it up really cheap. If that doesn't work out, play on Windows. Much better value for money.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
It is always pleasing hearing good titles come over to OS X, even though it may have been many of years.

There needs to be more companies like Blizzard who release big titles simultaneously on both Windows as well as OS X. I wonder how many more sales a modern game would have for Mac if it were released at the same time.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
But then it will be so overpriced... if Bethesda did it even if it is a Cider it will come out on Steam, so whenever there is a sale you can pick it up really cheap. If that doesn't work out, play on Windows. Much better value for money.

If the port is crap, then it would be a worse value for the money.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Didn't thought ports are bad in general - are there any games which are made by famous companies and are full of bugs that are unplayable?

The recent Witcher Wine port doesn't work for many people. In general, performance is never as good as a native port.

With ubisoft's native ports, I've experienced low performance, app loading issues, and keyboard input problems. Never had a problem with a Feral port.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Hey folks, not exactly a Mac or Elder Scrolls question (but I figure this is the right group) - what would you say is the best dungeon crawler for the iPhone so far? My preference is for first person, but not a requirement.

macbeta

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009

I dont know, with bootcamp i don't care as much as i used to about ports ;)

OpenGL is not really as good DirectX 11 - which is a shame

Last edited:

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm really excited for this. I just hope Apple doesn't gimp the next MacBook Pro with a Air design. Otherwise I don't know if it could handle a game like this.

*crosses fingers*

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
It is always pleasing hearing good titles come over to OS X, even though it may have been many of years.

There needs to be more companies like Blizzard who release big titles simultaneously on both Windows as well as OS X. I wonder how many more sales a modern game would have for Mac if it were released at the same time.

While I dislike defending the drought of ports, often times the game engines running the games aren't even compatible with OS X (e.g. Star Wars: The Old Republic's HeroEngine is not). Honestly, I'd be happy if companies would at least give a straight answer of "no never", "yes but later and you won't get a free copy if you buy the windows version", "yes and you get a free/discounted copy" or something other than deafening silence or maybes. Because as far as I'm concerned those later answers usually mean "we'll port it years later when we need some more cash and no one on the PC side will buy it for full price" which is a bit insulting.

Edit: And no offense to the mac porting houses. It isn't their fault.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
OpenGL is not really as good DirectX 11 - which is a shame

You mean, the Apple's drivers aren't as good. API wise there isn't much difference.

On topic: Bethesda can't even make a good bug-free single player game without clunky mechanics and non-functional leveling system, do you really expect its MMORPG to be any better? Look at Bioware and its STWOR fail — when the main advertising point of an MMO is 'we have fully voiced quests', you can be sure that there will be something terribly wrong with the gameplay itself.

The only MMO I wish had native Mac support is Guild Wars 2, been playing the beta and its easily the best game of the genre.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
You mean, the Apple's drivers aren't as good. API wise there isn't much difference.

On topic: Bethesda can't even make a good bug-free single player game without clunky mechanics and non-functional leveling system, do you really expect its MMORPG to be any better? Look at Bioware and its STWOR fail — when the main advertising point of an MMO is 'we have fully voiced quests', you can be sure that there will be something terribly wrong with the gameplay itself.

The only MMO I wish had native Mac support is Guild Wars 2, been playing the beta and its easily the best game of the genre.

No,Have you seen how big the map is,It takes them 3-4 years to make the game you expect it to be bug free?

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I'm more interested in it being a good game and not some clone of another MMO, it seems to be very hard for MMOs to innovate these days.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
No,Have you seen how big the map is,It takes them 3-4 years to make the game you expect it to be bug free?

What has a size of the map to do with a game being bug free or not? Programming a game is a totally different issue from designing and modeling the terrain. If anything, I expect a game which has been in development for long time to have LESS bugs, because the programmers should have had enough time to test/optimize/update their code.

Some bugs are unavoidable of course. But a bug which crashes the software or makes you loose your save game are totally unacceptable.

----------

I'm more interested in it being a good game and not some clone of another MMO, it seems to be very hard for MMOs to innovate these days.

Guild Wars 2 ;)

PopinFRESH

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
Building a better game engine.

Hopefully they are building a better game engine that is more portable rather than using Cider, regardless of if the developer does it or leaves it to Feral or Asyper to wrap the DX code and "port" it to OSX. Thankfully it seems more and more game companies seem to be seeing OSX in their perifial vision, thanks in large part to the success of iOS. Unreal has built their game engine to write once and build out to OpenGL & DX. iD software has also as well as Valve so hopefully we will continue to see this trend. I was hoping that after Valve brought Steam to OSX that we would see a major shift in how comapnies view gaming on other platforms. It seems however many developers are still just wrapping their DX code and publishing it through steam. Hopefully this will change and as the major studios continue to move their game engines to support both OpenGL and DX. Hopefully as Valve moves Steam to Linux more developers will return to Open standards rather than MS only technologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.