Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Oct 9, 2010, 05:39 PM   #1
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 4 and yes, it us bulky and ugly. The issue is that it appears that a speck of dust came between the case and the screen causing a pit mark. It's by the earpiece and barely noticeable, but I am concerned that more are possible. Anyone else notice this?
Apple TV
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:18 AM   #2
iammike1
macrumors 6502a

I stopped using my OBD because it always let a LOT of dust inside and I was concerned about the exact thing that happened to you.

Sure, the OBD is great about keeping your phone from breaking but it sucks at keeping the phone pristine.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:44 AM   #3
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

It seems that you almost need a screen protector to eliminate scratches, but the reduction in screen quality would probably be severe. I used the phone without the case yesterday and the screen is SO much nicer.
Apple TV
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
iammike1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
It seems that you almost need a screen protector to eliminate scratches, but the reduction in screen quality would probably be severe. I used the phone without the case yesterday and the screen is SO much nicer.
If you want a good bit of protection without making the phone too bulky get the Speck Candyshell. It also does a great job of not letting dirt in.

Granted, it's not as protective as the OBD but it's pretty damn good and still looks good.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
studmule
macrumors member

I didn't like the screen protector built in to the defender. Since I already had a screen protector on my iPhone 4, I just removed the one from the otterbox, and I like it much better now.
studmule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:28 PM   #6
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by studmule View Post
I didn't like the screen protector built in to the defender. Since I already had a screen protector on my iPhone 4, I just removed the one from the otterbox, and I like it much better now.
Now that is a good idea!
Apple TV
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Have you dropped your phone while it's in the Speck Candyshell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammike1 View Post
If you want a good bit of protection without making the phone too bulky get the Speck Candyshell. It also does a great job of not letting dirt in.

Granted, it's not as protective as the OBD but it's pretty damn good and still looks good.
LapsangSouchong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:06 PM   #8
in0va3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gryphon View Post
Have you dropped your phone while it's in the Speck Candyshell?
I just dropped it today when it fell out of my bag. And it was fine except for the screen protector I had on it. The outer shell really helped protect the phone from rocks and it's a bit dented now but the rubber absorbed the shock. My screen protector got scratched and I guess it fell on the rocks but now theres a dot of scratch on the actual screen of my iPhone! The CandyShell protects mostly everything but the screen but also keeps dust out. I don't like the Otterbox Defender cause of the screen cover which would scratch the screen or the cover itself will scratch and will be hard to see. I'm now searching for a good screen protector like the InvisibleShield which is thick or PowerSupport from eBay.
in0va3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Natattack
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone 4 and yes, it us bulky and ugly. The issue is that it appears that a speck of dust came between the case and the screen causing a pit mark. It's by the earpiece and barely noticeable, but I am concerned that more are possible. Anyone else notice this?

Same thing happened to me. I used the OB for about a day and went to take it off and noticed a mark near my home button that wasn't there before. At first I thought it was a speck of dust so I tried cleaning it but it wouldn't come off It is a tiny mark but once I put a screen cover over it becomes unnoticeable.
Natattack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:27 AM   #10
Elliottutt
macrumors newbie

Have got a Otterbox defender case for IPhone 4 have had it for a about a year never take it off much and I just did and there Is huge scratches on the black top and bottom bit and I'm not impressed considering its supposed to protect your phone .....
Elliottutt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 PM   #11
iamthekiller
macrumors 6502a

It's not the dust scratching your iphone while the otterbox defender is on. I had this case for months and took it off to clean when I noticed scratches near the earpiece. I looked at the hard plastic that made contact with the phone and it was all jagged and sharp - putting pressure on the iphone causing some scratches and pitting.

I threw the otterbox defender away and switched to the incipio delta. Now the soft silicone touches the iphone with the hard layer on the OUTSIDE, not touching the phone. This is the way it should be - not with the phone constantly touching hard plastic.
iamthekiller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 06:47 PM   #12
GrannySmith123
macrumors member

I did get a scratch near the earpiece too but I haven't noticed any other scratches. The number 1 thing that annoys me about this case is that THE SILICONE will always pop out. I've gone through about 3-4 replacements and they all do the same thing it is very annoying.

Anyone know if the Griffin Survivor case is better?
GrannySmith123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 09:22 PM   #13
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannySmith123 View Post
I did get a scratch near the earpiece too but I haven't noticed any other scratches. The number 1 thing that annoys me about this case is that THE SILICONE will always pop out. I've gone through about 3-4 replacements and they all do the same thing it is very annoying.

Anyone know if the Griffin Survivor case is better?
The Survivor is definitely better IMO
Old May 10, 2012, 07:51 AM   #14
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

I just clean my phone about once a month.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories