Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 3, 2012, 10:09 PM   #151
thepyro395
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
Apparently this was an error on EA's part. Considering their past actions, I was expecting it to be true.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...-ios-after-all
Something tells me that they will just pull the plug without any further warning to us. I guess we will just have to see what happens after May 31.
thepyro395 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:41 AM   #152
chocolaterabbit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
I can't really agree with you here since this isn't the same thing. If I have bought a game then it's mine - if I'm not careful it will get lost or be damaged. But it's mine. If I buy a downloadable game, it's still theirs - I'm just allowed access to it for a "foreseeable future".

If the one I bought my physical copy of a game from one day broke in to my apartment and took the game away, then we're talking about the same thing again. A game in working order being taken away by the one who sold it.
That's no longer the case. Take for example diablo 3. One of the hottest items in gaming, and it will require always on internet with authentication. what do you think will happen when blizzard shuts down their servers in say 10 years? not even single player will work, so essentially that dvd sitting on your shelf is a coaster. All the code, graphics, sounds on that disc are useless, locked away for eternity because the game will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperZboy View Post
When I complained about World of Warcraft being discontinued for Mac PowerPC users, even high powered quad G5s, I was ridiculed for being obsolete.

Yet I paid the same $49.99 as everyone else. Yet everyone here was like,

LOSER!, BUY A NEW COMPUTER!

I guess what comes around really does go around after all.
That's not really the same thing though. wow was discontinued because blizzard are patching wow constantly, updating and fixing bugs. they no longer wish to spend time making sure the powerpc codebase is updated along with the x86 codebase. that i can understand.

This is forced obsolescence, which is a little different. this game doesn't rely on patches, or online features, or have any sort of moving hardware requirements like wow. EA are merely forcing you to upgrade to the new rock band app.

Last edited by chocolaterabbit; May 4, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
chocolaterabbit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 04:48 AM   #153
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolaterabbit View Post
That's no longer the case. Take for example diablo 3. One of the hottest items in gaming, and it will require always on internet with authentication. what do you think will happen when blizzard shuts down their servers in say 10 years? not even single player will work, so essentially that dvd sitting on your shelf is a coaster. All the code, graphics, sounds on that disc are useless, locked away for eternity because the game will not work.
Exactly! Isn't it a scary development? I really don't like how their hunger for more money affects us as gamers. I try to avoid games like that, as I said before I'm focusing on older games, and hopefully I can manage that way. I mean, sure, in the future it might be impossible to buy a game that isn't DRM, but I'm probably dead by then.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:09 PM   #154
appleaddictx
macrumors member

Unhappy It's so sad!

I don't even play Rock Band at all, but that pop-up looked just plain miserable. Ahhhh... I remember when I was little and I snuck into that Apple Store to play Guitar Hero on the display iPods because I did not want to pay $4.99 for the app. Good times
appleaddictx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion