Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
This summer, I'll be traveling to USA in late July. I'm planning to get a 15" MacBook Pro (most probably by that time, the new ones will be out).

The thing is that apart from USA I'm traveling to a couple of countries and cities, and I'm carrying cash only, because my bank's MasterCard doesn't always get accepted internationally, so I can't risk it.

My question is, if I walk in at an Apple store, will they let me pay for the MacBook with cash?

I've already done some research, and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Some say they don't accept cash just for iPhones and iPads. Others say they don't accept cash at all for anything. A few sites said they accept cash for everything. And I even read somewhere that they don't accept cash if it's over $500.

Please help!

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I've bought Apple products in store with cash before; I'm in the UK.

Why wouldn't they accept cash? XD

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
They most definitely accept cash. They also take credit cards, debit cards, traveler's checks, and personal checks.

SugaredJuggler

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
Holladay, UT
I bought a brand new 15" MacBook Pro several years ago from an Apple Store and paid for the entire thing in cash. You should be just fine. It would be very strange if an actual store wouldn't accept cold hard cash haha.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
I think it is only during major product launches (iPhone, iPad, etc) that they don't take cash straight up. They usually will put it on a gift card though and then you buy with that. That's how it was anyway when I bought my iPhone 4.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
They should accept cash, cash is king. The biggest camera store in the US, and one that carries many BTO Macs, is in NYC, B&H Photo. I have been there many times and they even have a line just for people that want to pay with cash.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Thanks for all the replies!

I think the OP is remembering infamous flap when the iPad first came out and somebody (in California, I think) tried to buy one with cash and was turned down.

I'm sure there threads about that on MR.

Here's just one of many news articles that Google produced:

http://www.switched.com/2010/05/19/ipad-buyer-burnt-by-apples-no-cash-purchase-policy/

Exactly, that's what I'm referring to... That's what started it all. I'm still not very convinced they'll accept cash.

If any of you visits an Apple store in these couple of days, can you please be kind enough to ask? Tell them specifically that it's a MacBook that I'm buying.

Thanks a lot!

DWilliamson5002

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
I tried to purchase my iphone 3G with cash and they would not accept it several years ago.

The Easy Pay devices would not allow Cash transactions until recently when they installed cash drawers in the display tables. iPhone transactions can only be done on the Easy Pay not on the Classic Point of Sale Register.

So the work around was that you had to buy a gift card for the exact amount and then an iPhone sale could be processed since the Easy Pay would take the gift card.

Not a refusal to take cash just no system in place back then to handle cash on the Easy Pay's

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for all the replies!

Exactly, that's what I'm referring to... That's what started it all. I'm still not very convinced they'll accept cash.

If any of you visits an Apple store in these couple of days, can you please be kind enough to ask? Tell them specifically that it's a MacBook that I'm buying.

Thanks a lot!

They most assuredly take cash.

I have a friend with a cash business, he's paid cash for every Apple product that he's ever bought - three iMacs, two iPads, a MacBook, numerous peripherals (Airport, etc)... even got them to take cash for an iPhone.

Now, they will probably make a small production out of it, they'll gather a couple of co-workers to count the cash and such but in the end, you walk out with what you wanted.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Now, they will probably make a small production out of it, they'll gather a couple of co-workers to count the cash and such but in the end, you walk out with what you wanted.

Talk about Apple being the icon of simplicity. I mean, I know they're trying to be ahead of the curve and do everything wirelessly and through those iPod-touch-PoS, or whatever they're called. But seriously, making a big deal out of a simple thing as paying with real cash is just wrong.

Teem45

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Dallas, TX
My husband would agree with you on that! He loves cash. Of course, he also eschews technology, so it's just his ornery personality. More tech for me!

Just be careful hauling all that cash around with you. I'd hate to hear you got robbed or something, even in the TSA line. I hope the new 15-inch is out by the time you come and you can get the new one. Have a great trip!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Talk about Apple being the icon of simplicity. I mean, I know they're trying to be ahead of the curve and do everything wirelessly and through those iPod-touch-PoS, or whatever they're called. But seriously, making a big deal out of a simple thing as paying with real cash is just wrong.

The problem is that using counterfeit cash to buy something like a MacBook Pro would be a prime target for crooks. A gas station that accepts a counterfeit $20 is out $20, but if Apple accepted counterfeit bills for a $1700 computer, that'd be a big mess. They'll accept it, but I can understand them being very cautious. Add to that the fact that most people don't feel safe walking around with that much cash, and it's understandable they'd also be suspicious.

jW

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Just be careful hauling all that cash around with you. I'd hate to hear you got robbed or something, even in the TSA line. I hope the new 15-inch is out by the time you come and you can get the new one. Have a great trip!

Thank you! I'll update this thread later on in the summer to let you know what happens. ;)

Salable body parts are discounted for the cost of removal from the body.

Yeah, maybe I'll throw in a spleen, and a couple of fingers just in case. :D

The problem is that using counterfeit cash to buy something like a MacBook Pro would be a prime target for crooks. A gas station that accepts a counterfeit $20 is out $20, but if Apple accepted counterfeit bills for a $1700 computer, that'd be a big mess. They'll accept it, but I can understand them being very cautious. Add to that the fact that most people don't feel safe walking around with that much cash, and it's understandable they'd also be suspicious.

jW

That's totally understanble and logical. And now I feel that it makes sense why they might refuse cash. But it's a setback for us who work our a$$ off to get it. :(

Oh, Apple! Why do you have to take all our money??

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Kifak messenger, you should be able to pay cash in Best Buy if an Apple Store doesn't take cash or you can just buy a Visa Debit Card in Walgreens or any other store for around $~5 and fill it up and use it at the apple store.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Kifak messenger, you should be able to pay cash in Best Buy if an Apple Store doesn't take cash or you can just buy a Visa Debit Card in Walgreens or any other store for around $~5 and fill it up and use it at the apple store.

Nice touch. I'm good. ;)

Well yeah, I guess Best Buy would be an alternative if Apple won't accept cash. Never thought about it. :eek:

And the Visa Debit Card seems like an amazing idea, not only for the MacBook but for my whole trip! You see, I'm going to NYC, Maine, a concert in Cleveland, also Cedar Point in Ohio and Universal Studios in Orlando. So, I'm carrying around enough money for all of that. That would be risky. You sure I can use that card for everything? Even online purchases, ATM's and normal stores?

Thanks for your reply!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
sure

I guess Apple forgot to read the fine print:
This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

;)

For governments, not private business. Apple can choose not to accept cash if they want to.

BUt they do.

----------

Nice touch. I'm good. ;)

Well yeah, I guess Best Buy would be an alternative if Apple won't accept cash. Never thought about it. :eek:

And the Visa Debit Card seems like an amazing idea, not only for the MacBook but for my whole trip! You see, I'm going to NYC, Maine, a concert in Cleveland, also Cedar Point in Ohio and Universal Studios in Orlando. So, I'm carrying around enough money for all of that. That would be risky. You sure I can use that card for everything? Even online purchases, ATM's and normal stores?

Thanks for your reply!

The U.S. is more of a plastic (card) than paper (cash) society. Some small convenience stores refuse to take cards, but that number is very, very low.

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
One would think that going plastic would be safer for the convenience stores - no cash for a robber to take.

Yeah but then you need to pay charges for a card machine, and pay for the transactions, seems bait pointless for a snickers or mars bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.