Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
So, now they're up to Firefox 12. :rolleyes:

Is it me, or did Firefox 8 come out like 3 weeks ago? AND, since when are they using "whole numbers" for these minor updates? Based on what I've seen, we should be on version 8.6 or something, not version 12. No major changes to the product in a long time, which is usually when you see the "whole number" update. Mildly annoying.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So, now they're up to Firefox 12. :rolleyes:

Is it me, or did Firefox 8 come out like 3 weeks ago? AND, since when are they using "whole numbers" for these minor updates? Based on what I've seen, we should be on version 8.6 or something, not version 12. No major changes to the product in a long time, which is usually when you see the "whole number" update. Mildly annoying.

It's not you, they started doing these whole updates in the last 6 months or so and the next release will be 13.0 in about a month or so.

Here's a link to some Wiki notes on Mozilla.org.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I've been firefox portable beta for more than a year now. Yesterday I upgraded to Fiirefox 13 :D

Don't see much of a difference yet, except the homepage has tiles for recent page shortcuts.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
http://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2011/08/26/rapidity/

Here was their statement about it and their reasons for doing it, in case you're interested. They've been doing it this way since last August.
Yes, I am interested, thanks.

Hmm... that sort of explains what they're doing, except I still don't agree with the "whole number" updates. The differences in an upgrade like that used be VERY obvious from one to the other. I don't notice any differences at all. I mean, I'm sure there are differences in speed, security, etc, but that's what should be happening in the ".X" updates anyway. Right?

Eh, no matter.

It's only you.
Firefox 8 came out 6 months ago, November 8th 2011.
I thought it was obvious I was be facetious. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.