Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 01:56 PM   #301
Walter Bell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
The HTC One X suddenly looks a lot more appetizing after the Galaxy SIII unveiling.
This!!! I feel like Samsung is turning into Hyundai.

Can't wait to pick up my one x this sunday
Walter Bell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:13 PM   #302
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ctronics View Post
2nd part is irrelevant as long as I can install a custom ROM.
That's just it... you can't really do a full ROM.
No custom kernel, no custom radio.
Only themed ROMs.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:36 PM   #303
Walter Bell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
What I like about ICS is that I can do everything I can do on my iphone without having to root or anything. Granted, I dont use all the features on my iphone (nor does anyone use the same exact features as myself), but the ones I do use also work equally well on the One X.

But man the screen is amazing. I really hope apple steps it up a notch this fall as the HTC One X is the device to beat on the market today. Sunday can't come any faster.
__________________
rMBP 8GB/256SSD/2.3ghz i7, iPad 3 16GB WiFi, 16GB iPhone 4S, 24" iMac
Previous:
12" PB G4, Intel Mac Pro w/ 30" ACD, Macbook, 2010 MBA, All iPhones/iPads
Walter Bell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #304
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Bell View Post
What I like about ICS is that I can do everything I can do on my iphone without having to root or anything. Granted, I dont use all the features on my iphone (nor does anyone use the same exact features as myself), but the ones I do use also work equally well on the One X.

But man the screen is amazing. I really hope apple steps it up a notch this fall as the HTC One X is the device to beat on the market today. Sunday can't come any faster.
If I were to buy a phone now, the North American One X would be the one I would buy, even if the SIII, probably with the same S4 (Krait), were available now as well. Most definitely, *for me* -without a screen size bump on the upcoming iphone and a changed design from the glass sandwich, I will go Android - unless of course Nokia hit it out of the park with their Windows phone 8 version later this year. I am essentially OS agnostic.
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:23 PM   #305
bobTX10
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Man oh man. Just got this phone as my pre order shipment came early! Can't put it down! When I first put it in my hand it was like no phone I have ever felt before. So great to hold and so lightweight. The screen is truly something to see for yourself. It definitely deserves as much praise as it is getting. Im installing all my apps and there is no lag. I worked this phones ass doing all sorts of multitasking and the thing took it like a champ. I don't mind storage at all as I have my iPod for all my music, 16 will be plenty to just add my top rated. AT&T lte is ridiculously fast. Coming from sprint, data speeds are leaps and bounds.

Some cons so far... The speaker is weak. Not ridiculously weak but still weak to where I would barely hear it in a loud open environment. Also this is a weird con but the charging cord it comes with is too short lol. Another thing is the led. I'm thankfully that it has one but it's hard to see without looking at the phone directly.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. From hardware to software it's an incredible device. As people are vested in iOS (as I am with my iPad and iPod) I'm am vested in android for my phone. It was amazing to put in my google account and have my phone sync my settings down to my favorite contacts. Now back to playing...
bobTX10 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:36 AM   #306
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobTX10 View Post
Man oh man. Just got this phone as my pre order shipment came early! Can't put it down! When I first put it in my hand it was like no phone I have ever felt before. So great to hold and so lightweight. The screen is truly something to see for yourself. It definitely deserves as much praise as it is getting. Im installing all my apps and there is no lag. I worked this phones ass doing all sorts of multitasking and the thing took it like a champ. I don't mind storage at all as I have my iPod for all my music, 16 will be plenty to just add my top rated. AT&T lte is ridiculously fast. Coming from sprint, data speeds are leaps and bounds.

Some cons so far... The speaker is weak. Not ridiculously weak but still weak to where I would barely hear it in a loud open environment. Also this is a weird con but the charging cord it comes with is too short lol. Another thing is the led. I'm thankfully that it has one but it's hard to see without looking at the phone directly.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. From hardware to software it's an incredible device. As people are vested in iOS (as I am with my iPad and iPod) I'm am vested in android for my phone. It was amazing to put in my google account and have my phone sync my settings down to my favorite contacts. Now back to playing...
Thanks for the info...could you give us more info and some of your impressions as you have time to use the device?
El3ctronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:53 AM   #307
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ctronics View Post
2nd part is irrelevant as long as I can install a custom ROM.

The Rogers and AT&T versions are virtually identical so if the Rogers one was able to be rooted you could be sure it's only a matter of time before the AT&T one is as well. Remember, the AT&T version isn't being delivered until tomorrow to those who pre-ordered so almost nobody has it yet...kinda hard to have development on a device before it's released!
And here it is... users of the AT&T version of the One X cannot unlock the bootloaders.
The Rogers (Canadian) versions can be unlocked.
So AT&T has effed their customers again.

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/an...ootloader-r479

Quote:
As many of you know, i've been rocking a AT&T HTC One X for the past 2 weeks and I LOVE IT! What has been a concern though is that I haven't been able to unlock the bootloader via HTCdev, something I assumed might be related to it being a non release unit. Well, retail units are now hitting customers... and it doesn't look good.

The same 'MID ERROR 160' that I have experienced is also happening to units being delivered to customers today, and has apparently has been present on other AT&T devices in the past. This points to the fact that for whatever reason, the AT&T devices are deliberately not unlockable. We have had confirmation that Rogers One X units (essentially the same hardware) do unlock fine, which does lead us to think that this is not an accident!
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:58 AM   #308
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
And here it is... users of the AT&T version of the One X cannot unlock the bootloaders.
The Rogers (Canadian) versions can be unlocked.
So AT&T has effed their customers again.

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/an...ootloader-r479
It's just a matter of time...same issue with many past AT&T devices but in due time AT&T allows the bootloaders to be unlocked.
El3ctronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:04 AM   #309
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030
 
rjohnstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PHX, AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El3ctronics View Post
It's just a matter of time...same issue with many past AT&T devices but in due time AT&T allows the bootloaders to be unlocked.
I wouldn't count on it.
I remember when I got my Atrix, they said they were going to unlock the bootloader "by Q3 of 2011".
To this day, it is still not "officially" unlocked. Moto *cough* accidentally leaked *cough* the unlock code, but AT&T still hasn't sanctioned it.
__________________
"You can't really dust for vomit" - Nigel Tuffnel
Some Apple *****, some Android ***** and some Windows based *****.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #310
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
I wouldn't count on it.
I remember when I got my Atrix, they said they were going to unlock the bootloader "by Q3 of 2011".
To this day, it is still not "officially" unlocked. Moto *cough* accidentally leaked *cough* the unlock code, but AT&T still hasn't sanctioned it.
I'm quite confident it will be unlocked fairly soon.
El3ctronics is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:05 PM   #311
Walter Bell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Where are the reviews from the public! I know some of you got your phones today. I have to wait 2 more days.

FWIW, I wonder if people line up for Android phones like they do iPhones. Not sure what to expect this sunday or how early to get to the store.
__________________
rMBP 8GB/256SSD/2.3ghz i7, iPad 3 16GB WiFi, 16GB iPhone 4S, 24" iMac
Previous:
12" PB G4, Intel Mac Pro w/ 30" ACD, Macbook, 2010 MBA, All iPhones/iPads
Walter Bell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:10 PM   #312
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Bell View Post
Where are the reviews from the public! I know some of you got your phones today. I have to wait 2 more days.

FWIW, I wonder if people line up for Android phones like they do iPhones. Not sure what to expect this sunday or how early to get to the store.
Here is a thread from people who received their phones:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1635170
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:41 AM   #313
roberthodgson
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I looked into switching to a One X it looks like a great phone the only issue I have is the warranty 1 to 2 weeks for repairs is to long. I have been spoiled by Apples on the spot replacements.
roberthodgson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:33 PM   #314
blairh
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
I've seen this mentioned a few times in reviews. Seems annoying.......

"And speaking of Wi-Fi, the One X does something odd and annoying. Itís set up to connect automatically to the carrierís Wi-Fi hotspots, with the attwifi SSID locked into the remembered network names. You canít tell the One X to ďforgetĒ the AT&T SSID, which means it tries to connect to it whenever itís found, even if thatís not what you want. The only way to avoid this is to turn Wi-Fi off completely." - Houston Chronicle review.

Also to anyone getting the One X this week at AT&T, keep an eye on wi-fi performance. I'm seeing that it's an issue for some members over at XDA.

I'm on the fence about using my contract upgrade for the One X. I'd rather keep that option open for this fall in case I want the next iPhone. If I can find the One X locally on Craigslist for cheap, I might go for it. But I seriously doubt that will be an option.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 01:09 PM   #315
appleofmy"i"
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I played with a One X yesterday and there was this annoying ....not lag....but some hesitation to the interface that just disappointed me.
__________________
iPhone 5s, Nexus 5, MacBook Air, ADC Member
appleofmy"i" is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #316
MotionxxUSxx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Got my phone yesterday. Coming from the 4s it is very refreshing. It is definitely a great phone. My biggest issue is the size. I always thought I wanted a bigger phone but it's not comfortable using one handed. I'm actually getting that itch for my iPhone.
MotionxxUSxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #317
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleofmy"i" View Post
I played with a One X yesterday and there was this annoying ....not lag....but some hesitation to the interface that just disappointed me.
It's called Android, and sense 4.0. I've never had that problem with an iOS device.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 5P, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:54 PM   #318
Tobias Funke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleofmy"i" View Post
I played with a One X yesterday and there was this annoying ....not lag....but some hesitation to the interface that just disappointed me.
Same thing I noticed.

Also happened on the one S as well.
Tobias Funke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:20 PM   #319
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
Same thing I noticed.

Also happened on the one S as well.
It seems that no matter the processor used, unless one goes with Vanilla ICS you are not going to have exactly the fluidity of iOS or Windows Phone 7/7.5 The same thing is apparently being reported by ars technica re the Galaxy SIII:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...m_campaign=rss

The software felt fast and responsive for the most part. There was the occasional sluggish animation or slight delay while scrolling, but in general, the software felt smooth, if a bit complex and busy

That said, even using the HTC Amaze of my girlfriend which has the heavier Sense 3.5, the occasional slight lag and occasional jerkiness does not materially detract from the experience at all *to me*.
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:31 PM   #320
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a
 
ipodlover77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
ah i want this phone so badly. the rave reviews about the screen has me wanting the one x.

the only thing is, is the screen worth it enough for me to get over android?
ipodlover77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #321
Dangerdog3000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
ah i want this phone so badly. the rave reviews about the screen has me wanting the one x.

the only thing is, is the screen worth it enough for me to get over android?
Ditto. But i'm gonna shoot for it. Bought an iPhone 4 in July 2010 and I don't have the patience to wait till this fall for the next iPhone. Not to mention that my phone is starting to feel incredibly slow to the point where I don't even want to use it.

If you're only in it for the screen, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to switch though. Switching because you want a larger screen size makes sense, but switching because you want a better quality screen doesn't really make much sense because the 4/4S is no slacker in the department.

I won't be giving up iOS though. I'm going to use my sisters old 3GS as an itouch so I can keep all my paid apps. My dad is going to be using my 4 otherwise I would have used that.
Dangerdog3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:08 PM   #322
blairh
macrumors 68000
 
blairh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOSTON.....LA.....MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdog3000 View Post
Ditto. But i'm gonna shoot for it. Bought an iPhone 4 in July 2010 and I don't have the patience to wait till this fall for the next iPhone. Not to mention that my phone is starting to feel incredibly slow to the point where I don't even want to use it.

If you're only in it for the screen, I'm not sure it's such a good idea to switch though. Switching because you want a larger screen size makes sense, but switching because you want a better quality screen doesn't really make much sense because the 4/4S is no slacker in the department.

I won't be giving up iOS though. I'm going to use my sisters old 3GS as an itouch so I can keep all my paid apps. My dad is going to be using my 4 otherwise I would have used that.
I got my iPhone 4 the same month and year. The timing of the next iPhone is just so incredibly annoying. I just want the new one to come out at WWDC. But instead we most likely have to wait until this fall. (I know, not that long away but still.)

If it weren't for the early upgrade fee, I'd probably just get the One X now, and then maybe jump to the new iPhone this fall. But it would be really stupid of me to upgrade to the One X and then potentially pay the $250 EUF for the next iPhone.

As much as I have enjoyed my brief time demoing the One X, what I truly want is a better iPhone. (LTE and a larger screen.) This is annoying.
__________________
Mac Mini + 20" ACD. iPad Mini. Moto X. (After 5 years w/an iPhone.)
blairh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:15 PM   #323
pogiboi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
So i've had the One X since Thursday. Awesome phone but Android will never be as "Smooth" as iOS. My biggest gripe is the Mail app, it is very unreliable with exchange accounts. You cannot rely on it to push when an e-mail comes in like you can with iOS and Blackberry. Other than this, it's an amazing phone. ATT LTE ftw
pogiboi is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:24 PM   #324
MotionxxUSxx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogiboi View Post
So i've had the One X since Thursday. Awesome phone but Android will never be as "Smooth" as iOS. My biggest gripe is the Mail app, it is very unreliable with exchange accounts. You cannot rely on it to push when an e-mail comes in like you can with iOS and Blackberry. Other than this, it's an amazing phone. ATT LTE ftw
are you keeping it? I'm 50/50 but leaning towards returning it.
MotionxxUSxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:42 PM   #325
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
More phones NEED stock ICS. I think these skins like sense, and touch wiz potentially keep me from jumping on a phone like this. The hardware on this device is awesome! but I just cannot get excited about a skinned version of android.
__________________
Thanks Steve for all of the awesome technology!
Proud owner of an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro, First gen 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 3, Apple TV, Prototype iPhone 5P, and numerous iPods.
ChrisTX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTC drops software updates for a 15 month old phone that is still on sale - HTC One S ChazUK Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 39 Jul 17, 2013 11:13 AM
Enjoy your HTC Ones, that's the last flagship you'll ever get from HTC. 0dev Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 63 May 23, 2013 11:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC