Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old May 2, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1
rondocap
macrumors regular

How far will Apple 1st party apps be supported for Mac Pro 1.1?

So Mountain Lion may not work for the Mac Pro 1.1, but how about updates such as Safari, flash, and other big important programs? Will they still be supported for the Mac Pro 1.1 for the coming years?

Just trying to see if the G5 change that happened years ago would happen again: i.e no more support for PowerPC software, no more safari, etc.
rondocap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Probably not. Eventually my 2004 PowerBook rev D would not take to the newest flash install.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:42 AM   #3
nycaleksey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
So Mountain Lion may not work for the Mac Pro 1.1, but how about updates such as Safari, flash, and other big important programs? Will they still be supported for the Mac Pro 1.1 for the coming years?

Just trying to see if the G5 change that happened years ago would happen again: i.e no more support for PowerPC software, no more safari, etc.
The change from PowerPC to Intel architecture was fundamental, the changes between various subsequent Mac Pro models are far less substantial.
That being said, we will see apps not being supported by MP1,1 some day due to Mountain Lion not being supported. So once ML-only apps will start being released, those will not be compatible with 2006/2007 MPs.
nycaleksey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
I am inclined to say that Apple will be the first to start releasing their own Applications/Services that will require Mountain Lion for compatibility.

You can be assured that all 2012 3rd party applications, such as the Adobe CS6 suite are all compatible with the 2006 Mac Pro or the 32-bit EFI Intel Macs. Probably even CS7 will still be compatible will the 2006 Mac Pro as well.

iCloud requires at least Lion for compatibility, and the 2006 Mac Pro can run Lion, so it is fine. Newer Mountain Lion-specific services like Gatekeeper will be incompatible with Lion, etc probably. I am guessing that at some point, Apple programs like iPhoto, iMovie, and the like will only be developer for Mountain Lion and beyond, but you can be assured that Apple will be developing iTunes for Lion for awhile, as they had supported iTunes for PowerPC up until recently, and PowerPC was phased-out in 2006.

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro