Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late yesterday, Cult of Mac reported that select Walmart locations had significantly dropped their prices on the AT&T iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, slashing the 16 GB AT&T iPhone 4S to just $114 and the AT&T 8GB iPhone 4 to $34 on contract. Walmart's usual pricing has been $188 for the iPhone 4S and $88 for the iPhone 4, already below Apple's standard $199/$99 pricing.
This news comes to us from Edmond, Oklahoma, and we're not sure how widespread the sale is in the United States, or how long it will last. AT&T has yet to clarify if this price drop is a national carrier promotion, or a change decided by Walmart.
walmart_iphone_4s_114.jpg

Highlighting the sporadic nature of the reports, The Verge notes that it contacted six Walmart stores around the United States and found only the initial Edmond, Oklahoma store and a store in Austin, Texas offering the discounted pricing. Walmart's website also has not been updated with the lower pricing.

Most observers expect that Apple will not introduce new iPhone hardware until the September-October timeframe, in line with the iPhone 4S debut last year. But for those still holding out hope for a launch next month at Apple's sold-out Worldwide Developers Conference, Walmart's price drop, even if only sporadic for the time being, may provide a reason to not yet give up.

Update: Walmart issued a statement to 9to5Mac saying the chain "experienced a pricing error in limited stores" and that the issue has since been corrected. The correct Walmart pricing for the 16GB iPhone 4S is $188; iPhone 4 at $88; and iPhone 3GS at $0.97.

Article Link: Sporadic Reports of Walmart Offering 16 GB AT&T iPhone 4S for $114 [Updated]

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Nobody noticed an error here, didn't the 16GB White/Black 3GS, get replaced by an 8GB 3GS? Does Wal-Mart just have extras on hand?

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
does this mean they are trying to go for one last blowout sale to get rid of inventory for the iphone5 :eek:

oooooo conspiracy theorists GO! :rolleyes:

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
does this mean they are trying to go for one last blowout sale to get rid of inventory for the iphone5 :eek:

oooooo conspiracy theorists GO! :rolleyes:

OR

It could mean they aren't selling as many as they had hoped and have to drop the price to get rid of inventory before the new Galaxy starts shipping.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
They wouldn't have to cut prices in almost half if they were having a hard time moving stock. Plus, they would just not order as much and sell through what they have instead.

It seems a little premature though, since if there was a new iPhone, it wouldn't be here before WWDC which is still at least a month away.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Interesting if you ask me. Last time I saw this happen at retailers, they were trying to clear iPad2 stock for the 3rd Gen iPad. Perhaps there is in fact a one more thing at WWDC. Perhaps they want to get back with their June cycle?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder if this is why the stock is down again (overreaction to the Galaxy SIII launch and this unusual sale by Wal-Mart). My guess is that most people don't think of Wal-Mart and Apple in the same sentence, which probably doesn't bode well for the Wal-Mart stores within stores. Apple is known for good customer service and high prices. Wal-Mart is known for bad customer service and low prices.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It would be nice to see a new iPhone in June but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Ugh... The pain of being tethered to a 2 year contract a few months before the successor will be unveiled.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Exactly.

It is the contract that is the REAL cost of the phone.
Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. Let's examine options for unlimited talk/unlimited text/about 2-3GB of cellular data:

2-year total cost of ownership breakdown
A&T: $199 iPhone 4S 16GB (subsidized carrier-locked handset) + $36 activation/upgrade fee + $2,880 service ($120/mo for unlimited talk, unlimited text, 3GB cellular data) = $3,115
Straight Talk: $649 unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB (from store.apple.com) + $15 Straight Talk SIM (one-time charge) + $1,080 service ($45/mo. no contract for unlimited talk, unlimited text, "unlimited" cellular data -- anecdotally about 2GB) = $1,744

Monthly cost of ownership
AT&T: $129.79
Straight Talk: $72.67 (it drops to just under $70 if you prepay for service for 3 months at $42/mo.)

If you can pony up the cash up front, you are far better off going the Straight Talk route. The break even point is month 6.

Going the AT&T route, the hardware is 6.3% of your total cost of ownership because of the carrier handset subsidy. With Straight Talk, the hardware is 37.2% of your total cost of ownership.

Sadly, AT&T has discontinued the ability for smartphones to exist on their GoPhone Pay As You Go plans as they have removed the availability of data packages from the $0.10 per minute plan. I rocked GoPhone PAYG for several months, even had a SIM for my iPad. Unused data would rollover to the next month if you topped up before your current monthly package expired. That was by far the cheapest way to get a modest amount of cellular data relatively inexpensively.

But in any case, there's no requirement to sign a contract to have an iPhone. As a matter of fact, you will save money if you don't.

Last edited:

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
The Walmart in my location has the same deal going on. I had over 100 texts from friends asking me if I knew about the price drop on iPhones @ Walmart. I plan on going by there and snap a few pictures

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. Let's examine options for unlimited talk/unlimited text/about 2-3GB of cellular data:

2-year total cost of ownership breakdown
A&T: $199 iPhone 4S 16GB + $36 activation/upgrade fee + $2880 service ($120/mo for unlimited talk, unlimited text, 3GB cellular data) = $3,115
Straight Talk+ $649 unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB (from store.apple.com) + $15 Straight Talk SIM + $1080 service ($45/mo. no contract for unlimited talk, unlimited text, "unlimited" cellular data -- anecdotally about 2GB) = $1,744

Monthly cost of ownership
AT&T: $129.79
Straight Talk: $72.67

If you can pony up the cash up front, you are far better off going the Straight Talk route. The break even point is month 6.

Going the AT&T route, the hardware is 6.3% of your total cost of ownership because of the carrier handset subsidy. With Straight Talk, the hardware is 37.2% of your total cost of ownership.

Sadly, AT&T has discontinued the ability for smartphones to exist on their GoPhone Pay As You Go plans as they have removed the availability of data packages from the $0.10 per minute plan.

But in any case, there's no requirement to sign a contract to have an iPhone. As a matter of fact, you will save money if you don't.

Makes sense but who does "Straight Talk" use for their service?? Thought I saw it was t-mobile I could be wrong. Curious though on the straight talk plan do you get at least a true 3G connection and do all the apps work flawlessly with it unlike someone who uses tmobile because if not then not truly worth it to some.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
so you now only save $12 from buying the 4g S from wally world. No longer a story lol

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
The iPhone 5 is going to be $199 in about 5 minutes. Who's buying the iPhone 4 or 4S on a two year contract at this point?
If you tell me that some people aren't rich, I'm going to sock you. You do realize that the price of the phone $.99 or $199 is such a small part of owning a smart phone over two years?

chocolate

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2007
MacCast podcast

Makes sense but who does "Straight Talk" use for their service?? Thought I saw it was t-mobile I could be wrong. Curious though on the straight talk plan do you get at least a true 3G connection and do all the apps work flawlessly with it unlike someone who uses tmobile because if not then not truly worth it to some.

In the most recent "MacCast" podcast, the host described their generally positive experience with "Straight Talk", and alluded to the fact that it was running on the At&t network. Also, that the "Straight Talk" MVNO may have some affiliation with the TracPhone empire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.