Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old May 4, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
kingping14
macrumors member

Migrating Mail and iTunes

recently I've been getting quite a few Kernel Panics out of nowhere and I dont think it is hardware related, so I'm planning to do a clean install of Lion.

I want to keep my bootcamp partition so I will only be formatting the OSX partition, out of all my files I only want to keep 3 things.

1. All my saved passwords
2. All my Mail and Accounts in the Mail application
3. All my iTunes stuff

I dont want to keep anything else as I want to start fresh.

does anyone know how to do this?
kingping14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

Wow, that's pretty drastic surgery. Hope you get lucky and solve your problem.

You have to erase everything and the system is going to install more than just Mail and iTunes by default, so you'll probably have to delete stuff to get down to just those two applications. Apple does support "clean installs" but you essentially reformat your drive, losing all data, then reinstall a system and migrate via setup assistant from your backup or another source.

Be aware that if you change versions of Mail in this process you may have big problems. If you use IMAP it's much easier and safer since your messages and whatnot are stored on the server.

If your passwords are saved in your system keychain you should be OK; they'll be migrated. But again, have a backup. You will be erasing them.

Rob

Last edited by robgendreau; May 4, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion