Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epti nox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
I am sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I could not find anything useful. Here's the basic problem: One of my macs is running Quicken 2004 on 10.6. I would like to upgrade to Lion and thus need to upgrade Quicken. I have hesitated because from what I have heard, Quicken Essentials is useless, and Quicken 2007 was not compatible until recently. Sadly for me, on Quicken's site, it states that "File conversion is not possible for Quicken 2004 for Mac and prior versions. File conversion is only possible for Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006, 2007". What are my options here? Do I have to first purchase Quicken 2005, convert my data, then purchase and update to Quicken 2007? If this is possible, couldn't Intuit just include this process in the Quicken 2007 software?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I am sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I could not find anything useful. Here's the basic problem: One of my macs is running Quicken 2004 on 10.6. I would like to upgrade to Lion and thus need to upgrade Quicken. I have hesitated because from what I have heard, Quicken Essentials is useless, and Quicken 2007 was not compatible until recently. Sadly for me, on Quicken's site, it states that "File conversion is not possible for Quicken 2004 for Mac and prior versions. File conversion is only possible for Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006, 2007". What are my options here? Do I have to first purchase Quicken 2005, convert my data, then purchase and update to Quicken 2007? If this is possible, couldn't Intuit just include this process in the Quicken 2007 software?

I'm pretty sure that you could convert Quicken for Mac 2004 to Quicken for Mac 2007. You would install Quicken for Mac 2007 onto your 10.6 system first. Then convert your database file. Then upgrade to Lion. Then run the Quicken for Mac 2007 "patch".

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks. I'll try that. Where can I buy Quicken 2007? Does Intuit no longer sell it? I found it on Amazon, but it says "Old Version". Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Perso...0HR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336158558&sr=8-1

I'm sorry. I thought I had Quicken 2007, but we're running 2006. I guess I never upgraded to 2007.

You might be able to find a version of 2005/06/07 on craigslist or eBay. Maybe even look into the LEM Swap google mailing list.

ft

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
Thanks. I'll try that. Where can I buy Quicken 2007? Does Intuit no longer sell it? I found it on Amazon, but it says "Old Version". Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Perso...0HR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336158558&sr=8-1

If you're in the US, I've got a Quicken 2007 for Mac oem CD you can have for next to nothing. Never used it, and there's no s/n needed for install. Send me a PM and we can work something out - I'm thinking like $10 shipped USPS Priority Mail.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you're in the US, I've got a Quicken 2007 for Mac oem CD you can have for next to nothing. Never used it, and there's no s/n needed for install. Send me a PM and we can work something out - I'm thinking like $10 shipped USPS Priority Mail.

I don't think that will work. The OP has a Quicken 2004 file. Apparently, Q2007 won't convert a Q2004 file ... unless Intuit's website is wrong.

I looked everywhere. I couldn't find my Q2006 disk, otherwise I'd have offered it to the OP.

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
I don't think that will work. The OP has a Quicken 2004 file. Apparently, Q2007 won't convert a Q2004 file ... unless Intuit's website is wrong.

I looked everywhere. I couldn't find my Q2006 disk, otherwise I'd have offered it to the OP.

That's insane, but not really a surprise, considering how Intuit has treated its Mac customers for too ,any years. But I did find this one their site. Is it a download of Quicken 2006?

http.intuit.speedera.net/http.intuit/CMO/quicken/patch/Support_Files/Quicken_206.sit

jamescarey

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Sorry, wrong version

That's insane, but not really a surprise, considering how Intuit has treated its Mac customers for too ,any years. But I did find this one their site. Is it a download of Quicken 2006?

http.intuit.speedera.net/http.intuit/CMO/quicken/patch/Support_Files/Quicken_206.sit

Sorry, that Quicken 6 not Quicken 2006

TDarby719

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
2004 to 2007 Lion

I just used my 2004 Quicken for Mac and exported from the FILE menu a full export to the Quicken backup folder. I am running 2004 for Mac on a flat screen iMac(PPC) with 10.4.11. I then used the terminal mode restart on the old Mac and connected to the new iMac(intel) running OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) with a firewire cable (needed a cable converter for the old (400) and new (800)firewire port). I opened the Quicken for Mac 2007 Lion compatible version on the new mac and used the open file option from the file drop down menu. I opened the newly created QIF export in the old Mac from the new Lion version and saved a copy in the new Quicken Backup folder. Presto! All accounts and balances transferred into the new 2007 Lion version. Now not everything transferred over to the new version but the accounts all did with correct balances as well. The items missing were mostly preferences and setup configurations. These were easily matched with the old 2004 by adding upcoming and scheduled bills, hide and show accounts in the accounts window, toolbar accounts, and quickfill transactions. I just copied manually the scheduled bills. Edited the accounts shown and hidden at the same time as I checked the accounts I wanted shown in the toolbar. I used the registers to re-spell a word in old transactions and hit enter to create new quickfill items. I finished the conversion by editing the toolbars to match what I was using in the 2004 version and that was enough for me to get rolling. So, long story short, no Quicken Essentials conversion, no Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006, conversion from Essentials, and no conversion back to 2007 from Essentials was needed. No file exchange utility needed. Maybe it's just the PPC version that creates the .qif file but since I never had 2004,2005, or 2006 on an Intel Mac, I really don't know what the "export full copy" creates on those. I know if you try to save a copy, it creates a .qdfm file that the new Quicken for Mac 2007 Lion or the 2007 version will NOT import or open it with a note telling you 2004 is not compatible to update. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

InfoMania

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Quicken 2004 -- Lost files, how to find?

I'm running Quicken 2004 on OSX 10.6.8, and everything was fine until Friday when I discover that I'm missing all my current Quicken account files going back to October 2010. And am so far unable to even search for these missing files without knowing what the filenames would be, even with AppleCare help.

Quicken customer support was TERRIBLE... no interest in my problem and absolutely no help at all. I'd like to upgrade the software to 2007 (thanks to this forum for how to do that), but first I need to FIND these missing files. Other than using Time Machine to go back to a update that I think would include the missing files.

Any suggestion on what kind of filename to look for and WHERE they would be located? Thanks.

Lou N

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
good news re Quicken 2004 to 2007

I just used my 2004 Quicken for Mac and exported from the FILE menu a full export to the Quicken backup folder. I am running 2004 for Mac on a flat screen iMac(PPC) with 10.4.11. I then used the terminal mode restart on the old Mac and connected to the new iMac(intel) running OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) with a firewire cable (needed a cable converter for the old (400) and new (800)firewire port). I opened the Quicken for Mac 2007 Lion compatible version on the new mac and used the open file option from the file drop down menu. I opened the newly created QIF export in the old Mac from the new Lion version and saved a copy in the new Quicken Backup folder. Presto! All accounts and balances transferred into the new 2007 Lion version. Now not everything transferred over to the new version but the accounts all did with correct balances as well. The items missing were mostly preferences and setup configurations. These were easily matched with the old 2004 by adding upcoming and scheduled bills, hide and show accounts in the accounts window, toolbar accounts, and quickfill transactions. I just copied manually the scheduled bills. Edited the accounts shown and hidden at the same time as I checked the accounts I wanted shown in the toolbar. I used the registers to re-spell a word in old transactions and hit enter to create new quickfill items. I finished the conversion by editing the toolbars to match what I was using in the 2004 version and that was enough for me to get rolling. So, long story short, no Quicken Essentials conversion, no Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006, conversion from Essentials, and no conversion back to 2007 from Essentials was needed. No file exchange utility needed. Maybe it's just the PPC version that creates the .qif file but since I never had 2004,2005, or 2006 on an Intel Mac, I really don't know what the "export full copy" creates on those. I know if you try to save a copy, it creates a .qdfm file that the new Quicken for Mac 2007 Lion or the 2007 version will NOT import or open it with a note telling you 2004 is not compatible to update. Just food for thought.
This is great news. I'm going to give it a try. Wonder why Intuit says transferring data from Quicken 2004 to 2007 is not possible? They told me on the phone I'd have to do the intermediary step of getting 2005 or 06, which I can't find ANYWHERE! Kijiji, Intuit, eBay, Craigslist, Amazon... nothing. So your post gives me some hope. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
But meantime, if anyone knows where I can find Quicken 2005 or 06, let me know. Just in case!

ililg2003

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Darby's solution did not work for me. But I did find a FREE DOWNLOAD version of Quicken 2006 on Intuit's website: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/patching/quicken-2006-manual-updates--mac-/GEN82200.html
and was able to migrate easily from 2004 to 2006 in OSX10.6.8, then paid about $15 for 2007, installed it on my LION machine, and migrated the files from 2006 to 2007. Finito. Whew!

Ok I upgraded from 2004 to 2006, I am working off of emac, with my new Imac on its way.. will I be able to transfer from the emac to the imac using
a back up drive ..?WIfi? ethernet Cable? if so what exactly do I need to do ? I do plan on getting quicken2007

Giuly

macrumors 68040

Except instead of using Target Disk Mode, you could've just copied the folder onto an USB stick.

ililg2003

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
moving 2004 to 2006 then 2007 from emac to iMac

It was a breeze for move from the emac quicken 2006 over to the new imac using 2007..
I did the free upgrade as mention earlier before to 2006.. I exported a QIF file onto an external HD or USB, then I opened up 2007 and Imported the QIF file from the External HD, IT all went over very , very smoothly.

I paid 15.00 for 2007. Hopefully 2007 runs smooth as in the software. Fingers crossed.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Updating Quicken 2002, 2003, 2004 is EASY!

Just found this thread due to the new post.

Here is the skinny on the EASY way to upgrade from Quicken for Mac versions earlier than 2005:

1) You need a copy of Quicken 2006 or 2007 for PPC. You can download a full version of Quicken 2006 for Mac PPC from Intuit here.

2) Open your Quicken 2004 file in Quicken 2006 for Mac PPC and it will convert the file.

3) Open the new converted file in Quicken 2007 for Lion/Mt. Lion; you can purchase the full version for $15 here.

I used this method to update my Quicken Deluxe 2002 data file to Quicken 2007 for Lion. Previously I had been continuing to run Quicken Deluxe 2002 in Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) installed into Parallels for use in Lion, until the March 2012 Intuit release of Quicken 2007 for Lion.

Last edited:

TRYW8

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
Easy Peasy Quicken 2004 to 2007 Lion; need external hard drive

My husband read TDarby719's suggestion, which prompted a brilliant idea. So this is what I did:
1) On my old iMac, I upgraded my Quicken 2004 to Quicken 2006, as Lou N offered at http://quicken.intuit.com/support/he.../GEN82200.html.
2) I bought a $15 version of Quicken 2007 (sorry, I can't find where I bought it from) and downloaded it on my new MacBook Pro with Lion OS.
3) I plugged in my external hard drive (EHD from here on out) to my iMac and in Quicken clicked "File" and then "back up" "to disk" and selected my EHD.
4) After the back up was complete I plugged my EHD to my new MacBook Pro with Lion OS.
5) Once I saw that it was mounted on the desktop screen I opened Quicken 2007 then selected "File", "Open File" and opened the back up file on my EHD.
6) It asked for my password and voila!!!

I ran and gave my husband a huge hug. I think I might have fractured a rib.

Last edited:

mikeincleve

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
Getting Quicken with Current Database Working in Mavericks

i guess we are back on this one with a new twist.... I want to get Quicken to work for me under Mavericks (10.9). I am currently using Quicken 2006 under 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (recently upgraded from Quicken 2004 via a FREE DOWNLOAD version of Quicken 2006 on Intuit's website, I might add) and have a database that I want to bring along with me. I have read in the forums about installing Quicken for Mac 2007 onto my 10.6 system first. Then converting my database file. Then upgrading to Lion. Then running the Quicken for Mac 2007 "patch". But, how does all this work when I'm upgrading from 10.6 to 10.9?

ArBeeStL

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Quicken and Mavericks

I've been using Mavericks for 45 days and so far have had no problems using Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible. My usage may not be as extensive as yours, but I can at least vouch for the basic account registers and the online banking/bill pay features. Those have been flawless. Hopefully the rest of the features work as well for you.

i guess we are back on this one with a new twist.... I want to get Quicken to work for me under Mavericks (10.9). I am currently using Quicken 2006 under 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (recently upgraded from Quicken 2004 via a FREE DOWNLOAD version of Quicken 2006 on Intuit's website, I might add) and have a database that I want to bring along with me. I have read in the forums about installing Quicken for Mac 2007 onto my 10.6 system first. Then converting my database file. Then upgrading to Lion. Then running the Quicken for Mac 2007 "patch". But, how does all this work when I'm upgrading from 10.6 to 10.9?

anatfizz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Quicken 2007

If I'm currently running Quicken 2006 for the Mac do I need to buy a new copy of 2007 or is there some way to just download it as an upgrade? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
If I'm currently running Quicken 2006 for the Mac do I need to buy a new copy of 2007 or is there some way to just download it as an upgrade? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question

If Quicken 2006 continues to work on your Mac, you are fine.

Why do you ask the question?

iambote

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2015
Oh oh. Quicken 2007 for Mac no longer available...

I just found out about upgrading my Quicken 2004 file to Quicken 2007 from the above posts and went to get Quicken 2007 for $15 only to find out Quicken 2015 is now available and I can't get 2007!! Need help since 2015 version does not convert from the 2006 version, which is still available for free.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Call Intuit's support line to purchase Quicken 2007 for $15.

Online comments from users indicate that Quicken 2015 is a refashioned version of Quicken Essentials, not Quicken 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.