Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has updated its standalone mobile messaging app, as it tries to make messaging more modern. The Facebook Messenger app has gained read receipts, which tell senders when their messages have been read, as well as providing the senders location information. According to TechCrunch, Facebook is trying to make mobile conversations "feel more real."
Product Manager Peter Deng tells "SMS has been around for 20 years, built it was for these T9 phones. We're focused on leveraging all the capabilities of today's devices to create a new messaging experience." He also says these are just the start of app updates designed to make mobile conversations feel more real, as if you had body language cues and more to go by.
messenger-in-line-read-receipts-location-done-1.png

Unlike iMessage, which requires that read receipts be explicitly turned on by the receiver, Facebook doesn't provide a way to disable read receipts -- but the company will let users hide their location.

The updates are going mobile first, showing up first in the standalone Facebook Messenger apps, and will eventually move out to the Facebook mobile app and the web interface on Facebook.com.

Facebook Messenger for iPhone is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Messenger App Gains Read Receipts, Location Information

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Updated?

The read receipts are new, but in the old version, there was already location... I haven't updated and I can see it right there.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
hell no. deleted the Facebook app yesterday, may as well go the whole hog and get rid of this too now.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Facebook, for the love of God, please just put a few hours into making your main app something better than the horrendous piece of crap that it is now.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
no way to disable read receipts? They are going to get a lot of complaints for that one.

Why? What is the big deal?

Obviously you KNOW who ever you're sending a message to is going to read it - why is it so bad that confirmation is posted to the message?

Are you somehow *surprised* that the person you sent a message to read it?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY

Obviously you KNOW who ever you're sending a message to is going to read it - why is it so bad that confirmation is posted to the message?

I don't like getting a message, having the other person informed that I read that message, then getting another one from them asking if I'm going to respond. I'll respond when I can! I've got it disabled in iMessage for that reason.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I would never ask someone "why aren't you responding". If someone is giving you a hard time about responding then in most situations they're just failing at understanding basic online-social principals. It should be understood that you can read a message and not have to immediately respond.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Do you like being hassled by others?

Person X: Hey, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: Hey, you didn't reply, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: What the hell, reply! Whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person Y: WHAT!?

Some of us like our privacy and distance from others.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
To be fair, with or without read receipt, a sender could still be annoying. Maybe it's not just "why you didn't reply" nagging question, but when you dont have read receipt, for whatever reason sender could also get impatient and instead ask "have u received my message?"

I dont see read receipt as an imposing risk for annoyance or privacy. Sms dont have this and it still can be annoying at times.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Ugh, I hate read receipts. I frequently don't respond to texts/Facebook messages right away when I'm busy, but I do read them right away. It's not because I dislike you, but you're going to think I'm ignoring you when you see that I read the message.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I would never ask someone "why aren't you responding". If someone is giving you a hard time about responding then in most situations they're just failing at understanding basic online-social principals. It should be understood that you can read a message and not have to immediately respond.

I agree but... Remember the human being is weak-hearted... When someone doesn't respond people start worrying.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
I don't like getting a message, having the other person informed that I read that message, then getting another one from them asking if I'm going to respond. I'll respond when I can! I've got it disabled in iMessage for that reason.

You know they can do that anyway, right?

"Hey, did you read it?"

And how is getting one message the worst annoyance in the world? Don't want it? 'X' out and you're done....

The Internet wasn't made for hermits living in seclusion, you know...

Do you like being hassled by others?

Person X: Hey, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: Hey, you didn't reply, whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person X: What the hell, reply! Whats up? <--- Seen by Person Y
Person Y: WHAT!?

Some of us like our privacy and distance from others.

That sounds more of a problem with the person not the program. If someone annoys you THAT much, why are you communicating with them?

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I agree but... Remember the human being is weak-hearted... When someone doesn't respond people start worrying.

I understand that we must accommodate the physically disabled and other forms of human diversity, but I will not make my life less convenient for the "weak of heart". I read your message and have not yet replied. Just deal with it, seriously.

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
The person would harrass you about the message whether or not they know you read it, so what's the difference?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
cool. thats why i love whatsapp. when people dont respond to something really important and they go like "omg so sorry i just read it" you can be like mmmh liar, i see that u were online 3h ago

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Facebook, for the love of God, please just put a few hours into making your main app something better than the horrendous piece of crap that it is now.
Agreed! I'm lucky if the fb app loads over 3G or wi-fi. The app has almost been rendered inoperable. It's faster to load the desktop version over 3G nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.