Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Cox'sPippin
macrumors newbie

PS4 User crawling out the woodwork with my G4. Next Move ???

Just joined so Hi to all you Mac/Tech/Designer Guru's ;-)

So much to consider. Here is my situation, don't laugh, Oh go on then.

Current Hardware;

Hardware 14' iBook G4 (2004)
Processor 1.33 Ghz PowerPC
Memory 256 MB Built-in
OSX 10.4.11
Most used CS4
-----------------------------------------------------

Camera: Canon 550D/T2i
Printer/Scanner/Copier: Canon MG5150
-----------------------------------------------------

Here is my quandary

My Hardware feels like it is now living in a Retirement Home trying to dance like an 18 year old, falling and hoping it can get back up without anyone noticing. The processor is having hot flushes every day. What is new is the camera & printer. I am not concerned about staying on the bleeding edge as you can see I am happy as a clot, evident by my dinosaur set up. Other than itunes/surfing/Facebook/youtube. My main usage is promoting myself as an Artist on (free websites). The most critically important usage will be the CS4, mostly Photoshop. Because my G4 is maxed out, I've tried stripping it down form the bloating yet CS4 is running like it's using a zimmer/walking aid frame. I am not sure what to purge that isn't mission critical to regain some RAM.

I recently invested in the Canon camera 550D/T2i to make RAW files of my art and prep them in PS4 for print ready for poster/printed canvas for orders up to A1 in size, to offset the lack of original art sales. Although the DNG Convertor 6.3 software converts the T2i RAW files for PS4 to use on OS X 10.4.11 as I downloaded today, It's not going to work well with my Vintage Mac living above it's weight in a virtual Retirement Home.

Adobe and Apple looove your credit card umbilically attached to 'them' by the frustrsting and historical upgrade options for serious users. Like people that have had to offload PPC systems for Intel to keep up with the knife. I understand the 2011 systems are very quick with Intel quad processors and Sandy Bridge CPU over the 2010. I am not tech savvy so I don't understand all that is important to have for my needs. Like how important is the size of the ATI HD or Graphic Mb cards etc. The configurations make me dizzy. So if someone could help simplify this for this G4 survivor. I will adore you ;-)

1 Will I lose all my OSX 10.4.11 Adobe Software by choosing Intel base and upgradings OSX ?
2 I am not a gamer, so I don't need to over spend on unnecessary power, although I will be working large RAW photo files and want years of file saving capacity. I do like to create/design with Photoshop too and intend to tread the waters as an PS illustrator.
3 My budget is 1,000 ata max push would prefer to stay around 500/700. weather new, used, or refurb. So after extensive research I first thought yep Powerbook Pro, then read more and thought yep iMac with the 27'screen. Then read more and thought nope Mac mini with an LED Samsung monitor. Now I just want to suck my thumb and mumble. HELP !!!
4 Have I missed something and have I made sense ? lol

Regards and thanks in advance for any input to guide this weary G4 Processor. UK based.

----------

Oh I might add I would be downloading 'Genuine Fractals' for enlarging files to print ready. I also would consider upgrading to CS5 if it came bundled with used/new/refurb Hardware. Cheers
Cox'sPippin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice