Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 5, 2012, 01:39 AM   #11
KohPhiPhi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf70 View Post
So, what does the "Pro" stand for now then?? How am I going to be fooled?

I think the MacBook and MacBook Air are quite sufficient for the average consumer market. Furthermore, I doubt Apple would be so shortsighted to totally forget a key audience by dumbing down the MacBook Pro.

I think we would all agree that 'professionals' are consumers too.
The "Pro" tag doesnt stand for anything. It's just a name, and it's doesn't imply "professional" anymore.

Besides, you seem to believe that professionals are a key market for Apple... I doubt it. That used to be the case in the past, but not any more. Apple switched business model quite some years back to cater almost exclusively to consumers and not professionals.

Don't believe me? simply look at Apples's main corporate moves in the last few years:
  • The Mac Pro (the ONLY true "pro" Apple machine) has not been updated in almost 2 years already. Apple doesnt seem to allocate much developing resources to the Mac Pro.
  • iPads, iPods and iPhones (100% consumer devices) are Apple's biggest sellers by far. That's Apple's milking cow, and the one that receives most of the updates.
  • MBA and MBP 13" (consumer-orientated laptops), are Apple's best selling laptops. The MBP 17" (the most "pro" of them all) is their least selling one.
  • iOS has seen more updates as of lately than OSX.
  • App store and iTunes (Apple's 2 main platforms) are 100% focused on the consumer's end

I mean... now matter how you dice it and slice it, Apple's moves clearly indicates that their after the consumers market, not the professionals market. Therefore, it makes sense to believe that the "Pro" tag in MBPs will slowly but surely lose its "professional" connotation, and thus MBPs (regardless of the "pro" tag) will be designed with consumers in mind, not professionals.

Accept it man, there's much more "con" than "pro" in today's MBPs, and it will continue being like that.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
new macbook pro 2012