Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
So has anyone got a GoPro?

I am pretty set on getting one but I am not sure which option (motorsport or outdoor) to go for?

Has anyone purchased any additional mounts? What would you say are the best value for money?

I made this video last summer of what I got up to and I think that the addition of GoPro I would be able to add more dynamism and excitement to a lot of the shots.

Last edited:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't see why you would need it after scrubbing through the video.

PS you and your friends seem crazy, but at least your having a good time :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I prefer the contour cameras because of the better mounting due to it not being square and the big switch to switch it on/off. Also the Contour roam is waterproof to 3 feet without case.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I don't see why you would need it after scrubbing through the video.

PS you and your friends seem crazy, but at least your having a good time :D

How so?

Hopefully with the GoPro it would give us the option to be a bit more reckless with the camera and to get some more timelapses on moving vehicles etc.

I prefer the contour cameras because of the better mounting due to it not being square and the big switch to switch it on/off. Also the Contour roam is waterproof to 3 feet without case.

Whilst that camera is your choice I think I prefer the SD vs micro SD cards and the mounts that come with the GoPro. From what I could gather quickly from a browse on their site the mounts seems to all cost extra whereas the GoPro’s come with a few. I actually quite like the square shape of the GoPro.

I also like the fact that GoPro has just linked up with technicolor to have a 24p mode, cinestyle and 34MBit mode meaning that the footage would link up nicer in the edit than my DSLR.

I don’t really do any action sports so I wouldn’t be attaching it to a helmet just using it more as an all terrain, all weather camera.

Thanks for the idea though, any other opinions much appreciated.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Go Pro all the way

I had the same question Go Pro versus Contour - Go Pro was the clear winner - while the oval shape seems better it is actually a negative. The Go Pro is so much more versatile. It can sit on a table in front of you without any case at all (Contour rolls). The Go Pro can be mounted in places the Contour can't - you can stick a long camera on your forehead (must go by the ear).

But most importantly video quality is far superior on the Go Pro 2 - especially when the new ProTune update comes out to all Go Pro 2s in the coming months (Google it - amazing update for free). The accessory business is far more prolific for Go Pros - Go Pro is the way to go - I've got two of em.

As far as mounts and whatnot I have em all (pretty much) - the 3D set is pretty wild too - amazing looking footage - I went with the outdoor sets - just look and see what you'll actually be using it for. I am a huge fan of the chest harness for Go Pro - one of my most used mounts - the GoPole is pretty awesome too.

Feel free to check out my videos over at YouTube.com/TChaten - lots of Go Pro stuff up there - you can send questions my way too if you have em - iWakePodcast at gmail.com

Tim

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
also consider the drift

I have a Drift Innovations HD headcam and would recommend it.

The GoPros are great as well. I chose the Drift b/c I use it for hunting and the longer body as opposed to a square fits better for my head (it's on the side rather than the top).

Judging from your video, you guys have alot of fun so good luck.

I think any of the headcams out there will suit you well and definitely add another layer of creative possibilities.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
GoPro cams are awesome. I've been using them since the first version, and now have a couple of them, including the Hero 2. The only difference between the versions is the mounts that are included. I have purchased a lot of extra mounts, and even made a few of my own (using the adhesive mounts as a component). They are by far the most popular cam of this type out there, and the most likely to be around long-term. Their support is also top-notch. I had a loose latch on one of my housings and they sent me a brand new housing for free. Can't recommend them highly enough.

JPayne

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
GoPro

I recently went with friends to a driver event where they track their cars (mostly Porsches). Everyone used GoPro's.

However, I used a windshield mount with my iPhone 4S and took videos that were higher resolution (1080p) than the GoPro's (720p).

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I recently went with friends to a driver event where they track their cars (mostly Porsches). Everyone used GoPro's.

However, I used a windshield mount with my iPhone 4S and took videos that were higher resolution (1080p) than the GoPro's (720p).

The GoPro does 1080p25/30 as well...

They were probably recording 720p60 which the iPhone can't natively do...

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008

The GoPro does 1080p25/30 as well...

They were probably recording 720p60 which the iPhone can't natively do...

For clarification here, the iPhone 4 and GoPro Hero Hd are 720p; the iPhone 4S and GoPro Hero 2 HD do 1080.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
For clarification here, the iPhone 4 and GoPro Hero Hd are 720p; the iPhone 4S and GoPro Hero 2 HD do 1080.

I think you'll find that the original gopro did 1080p25 and 30. The iPhone 4 is 720p30 but the GoPro Hero range has always been 1080p apart from the 960p version.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
I just ordered a hero2 motorsports edition. To be honest, I didn't do a ton of research between the models, but as far as I know it's just the difference in mounts that come along. I've already got a few so I wasn't as concerned about that, and it was something I'd wanted for a while so I just ordered one on a whim. It should be here on monday and hopefully I can report back with some footage or time lapse. I'd like to get the rotating timer mount for some interesting moving vehicle time lapse.

I liked your video. What are you currently shooting with? I wish I could pull off the 'annoying(I'm projecting of course) camera guy' roll amongst my friends. They usually just scoff whenever I bust out my DSLR. What's your secret?

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I think you'll find that the original gopro did 1080p25 and 30. The iPhone 4 is 720p30 but the GoPro Hero range has always been 1080p apart from the 960p version.

Oops, that's correct; the original GoPro HD was also 1080, but the 960 was not. The GoPro Hero range has not always been HD; the original GoPro Hero cam was less than even DV resolution.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Oops, that's correct; the original GoPro HD was also 1080, but the 960 was not. The GoPro Hero range has not always been HD; the original GoPro Hero cam was less than even DV resolution.

The first Go Pro HERO used 35mm film and only took stills!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I have a Drift Innovations HD headcam and would recommend it.
I would only prefer the Drift when it comes to "not losing one in the slopes during a snowboard sesh". After cutting hours of videos between the Drift, GoProHD (original) and Contour, I prefer the GoPro for any outdoor situations. The quality just cant be beat in HD.

----------

I just ordered a hero2 motorsports edition. To be honest, I didn't do a ton of research between the models, but as far as I know it's just the difference in mounts that come along.
Yep just the extras for mounts is the diff.
With the new GoProHD you will also get an upgrade to the CineStyle specs via firmware :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I would only prefer the Drift when it comes to "not losing one in the slopes during a snowboard sesh". After cutting hours of videos between the Drift, GoProHD (original) and Contour, I prefer the GoPro for any outdoor situations. The quality just cant be beat in HD.

----------

I've always wondered about the quality, but it came down to wearability (if that's a word :) and I sacrifice quality there. The most irritating factor about the Drift is it's ability to overexpose in good weather. You can change the exposure, but I find it can be too bright unnecessarily.

When I'm deer or moose hunting, I'm always on the move and need something alongside my head, rather than on top. Even as it is, the Drift gets caught up on various trees - not conducive to sneaking around so I couldn't imagine what it would be like with the GoPro mounted even higher on my head. I've thought about the chest mount, but think it would get blocked by the trees etc... as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.