Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
London
Hi guys,

My iMac has a process that is eating a ton of RAM and CPU. I tried Google and couldn't find out what it was. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Activity Monitor.jpg
    Activity Monitor.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 219

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi guys,

My iMac has a process that is eating a ton of RAM and CPU. I tried Google and couldn't find out what it was. Any ideas?

It looks like it's part of the Quick Look feature. Have you tried logging out/in, or restarting your computer?

vodouman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
London
It looks like it's part of the Quick Look feature. Have you tried logging out/in, or restarting your computer?

This is a constant problem. I have tried a restart. Tried killing the process, stated back up immediately, 100% CPU usage, settled back down to 12% after a few minutes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is a constant problem. I have tried a restart. Tried killing the process, stated back up immediately, 100% CPU usage, settled back down to 12% after a few minutes.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
office.qlgenerator is what the system uses to generate quick-looks of Office documents. Lots of other applications generator quick look plugins; check the various QuickLook folders in the libraries in ~/, / , and /System.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Here's the screenshot.
For one thing, you have significant page outs, which I wouldn't expect to see on a system with 12GB of RAM. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. I haven't been able to find any information about that QuickLookSatellite process. Check the first 3 items in the following list for any possible related items.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Oh dear, blanked out your name in the first screenshot but not the second.

Damo01

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
Australia
the name of process sound fishy to me. Do you have any open source office suite on there like NeoOffice or openOffice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.