Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I swear it only works about 75% of the time. I know it is "Beta" but how long will Apple consider Siri a beta program? It's been out for a while now and I haven't seen any improvements. Most of the time when it doesn't work Siri has no idea what I'm asking, or it thinks for a long time only to eventually time out. My only guess to why this happens is maybe the network sucks. I live in Houston and have AT&T, I think Verizon has better service out here. However, these issues pop up sometimes while connected to my home network. Maybe this is why Apple decided not to put Siri in the new iPad, because there are so many mixed reviews. I upgraded from a 3GS so this phone is a major improvement regardless. But what about the people who upgraded from an IP4 just to have Siri? I would be really disappointed.

Thoughts anybody?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
75% of the time is not exactly "hardly works."

It's new technology - so it's not perfect.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I swear it only works about 75% of the time.
Better success rate than I've had with Siri.
Well, it's not exactly new technology...voice commands have been around for ages and Google Voice Actions - which performs almost the exact same tasks - was around two years before Siri.

But you are correct that Siri isn't perfect - far from it. The problem is that the average consumer (i.e. not anyone who posts here) is swayed by advertising, and Siri was advertised as THE distinguishing feature of the 4S. Those Siri ads are/were completely disingenuous. They portrayed a product working much better than it actually does in practice.

Last edited:

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I do enjoy using Siri for alarms, and a few other basic tasks, although I have abandoned it for many of the other tasks I tried repeatedly until giving up. It just can't recognize my voice, and became frustrating. I have tried slowing down and articulating my words (I'm from the noth showa of Boston) and have also tried speaking casually, but neither work. Any kind of refinement to this feature would be incredibly welcome.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Well, it's not exactly new technology...voice commands have been around for ages and Google Voice Actions - which performs almost the exact same tasks - was around two years before Siri.

Yes, voice commands using structured syntax has been around for years, but the natural language of Siri - interpreting what you mean (pretty much however you say it) is what is relatively new.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Don't they say that Siri is in BETA at the moment? I wouldn't expect flawless performance in a Beta version. Actually voice recognition is an extremely difficult thing to do anyway. Humans use some very sophisticated brain circuitry in order to do voice recognition, and the process is not fully understood anyway.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Humans use some very sophisticated brain circuitry in order to do voice recognition, and the process is not fully understood anyway.

Exactly - and when we talk to each other, we don't always understand the meaning or intent correctly.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
for basic things it works. but I try to set a reminder say when I arrive at walmart to pick something up. siri gets all of the words right but can't get the fact when I arrive at walmart. over and over she gets the words but can't set it for arriving at walmart.once in awhile she gets it right.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I expect Siri to be out of beta and much improved in iOS 6, which we might see previewed at WWDC next month.

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
ha!

must be my EASL ... for me it works, on every 3rd try!

fact that developers married external requests with internal ones ("what's the capital of poland" vs "call name in my contacts") - pure laziness !

but let's not kid ourselfs, apple has always been releasing beta products and marketed it as best thing since sliced bread ...

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
best to go over the tips n tricks for Siri. she does wonders with simple searches and creations of alarms, appointments and notes. she doesn't do dishes or wash the dog. it's been around 7 months so why demand the world from her. meet IRIS from android cause she's a lot dumber... :)

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

It doesn't work like advertised.

Don't they say that Siri is in BETA at the moment? I wouldn't expect flawless performance in a Beta version. Actually voice recognition is an extremely difficult thing to do anyway. Humans use some very sophisticated brain circuitry in order to do voice recognition, and the process is not fully understood anyway.

Did you not read where I acknowledged that Siri is still Beta? My question was how long is Siri going to be considered Beta? The phone has been out for almost 8 months and I have seen no improvements.

Exactly - and when we talk to each other, we don't always understand the meaning or intent correctly.

We are talking about simple tasks that Siri can't complete, at least not as advertised.

I expect Siri to be out of beta and much improved in iOS 6, which we might see previewed at WWDC next month.

If they planned to do some major improvements with Siri don't you think the new iPad would have been equipped with Siri?

Google's voice functions on Android work fairly well.

That comment is irrelevant for this thread, and forum ;)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I swear it only works about 75% of the time. I know it is "Beta" but how long will Apple consider Siri a beta program? It's been out for a while now and I haven't seen any improvements. Most of the time when it doesn't work Siri has no idea what I'm asking, or it thinks for a long time only to eventually time out. My only guess to why this happens is maybe the network sucks. I live in Houston and have AT&T, I think Verizon has better service out here. However, these issues pop up sometimes while connected to my home network. Maybe this is why Apple decided not to put Siri in the new iPad, because there are so many mixed reviews. I upgraded from a 3GS so this phone is a major improvement regardless. But what about the people who upgraded from an IP4 just to have Siri? I would be really disappointed.

Thoughts anybody?
Got people to buy the phone didn't it? Mission complete.

Then it shouldn't be marketed as being perfect. And coming up on one year and still 'beta'? That's just weak.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I use only Siri for messages (and sometimes for e-mail because I forget to use it.) :) It recognizes my words 95% of the time, and when it's not sure I get the blue underline to tap and it gives me the right word about 80% of the time. One occassional tap to correct a word is better than tapping out the letters with thumbs. And don't get me wrong, as a long time iPhone user my thumbs are pretty fast.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I use only Siri for messages (and sometimes for e-mail because I forget to use it.) :) It recognizes my words 95% of the time, and when it's not sure I get the blue underline to tap and it gives me the right word about 80% of the time. One occassional tap to correct a word is better than tapping out the letters with thumbs. And don't get me wrong, as a long time iPhone user my thumbs are pretty fast.

Unfortunately that defeats the purpose of Siri. I like being able to text while driving if needed. However when Siri messes up the wording it aggravates me.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I have had better luck than most with Siri, at least that's how it seems when I read the forums here. I use it mostly for alarms, reminders, and sms as well as the occasional "when will the sun set" or something like that. I certainly don't use it to help me bake (there are these things on ovens called timers, they're new I think).

If the tweaks available for jailbroken devices are any indication of where Apple is headed, Siri will get much much better.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
I have had better luck than most with Siri, at least that's how it seems when I read the forums here. I use it mostly for alarms, reminders, and sms as well as the occasional "when will the sun set" or something like that. I certainly don't use it to help me bake (there are these things on ovens called timers, they're new I think).

If the tweaks available for jailbroken devices are any indication of where Apple is headed, Siri will get much much better.

I also have had good luck with Siri.... I guess I don't talk like I have a mouth full of poo or something so it understands me easily.

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru

Please share for the benefit of myself and others what tweaks should be incorporated by default that could change the perception of Siri as elaborated by the OP.

My only suggestion includes standard icon on springboard.its like my home button is getting stressed each time i bug Siri. Heres my suggestion, expand the list:

1- SiriBoard

fitfree

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Unfortunately that defeats the purpose of Siri. I like being able to text while driving if needed. However when Siri messes up the wording it aggravates me.

Possibly not your wisest admission, there's already too many wrecks by the side of the road

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Possibly not your wisest admission, there's already too many wrecks by the side of the road

I never take my eyes off the road to read any kind of text. Siri is great for texting while driving if needed, especially when it works with my Sync system in my truck. Texting using Siri while driving is almost like talking on the phone with bluetooth equipped vehicles.

How about we stick with the topic of this thread and you stop judging people you don't even know ;) Just a thought.....

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
I never take my eyes off the road to read any kind of text. Siri is great for texting while driving if needed, especially when it works with my Sync system in my truck. Texting using Siri while driving is almost like talking on the phone with bluetooth equipped vehicles.

How about we stick with the topic of this thread and you stop judging people you don't even know ;) Just a thought.....

Just some food for thought....

Texting While Driving Statistics

• About 6,000 deaths and a half a million injuries are caused by distracted drivers every year.
  • While teenagers are texting, they spend about 10 percent of the time outside the driving lane they’re supposed to be in.
  • Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver’s reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. That is enough time to travel the length of a football field.

Those are all the reasons we need Siri to be responsive and user friendly to be used with minimal contact with the phone.

How do you read texts with Siri active through bluetooth. you still have to touch the phone at some point...

Adapted from EdgarSnyder.com

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Please share for the benefit of myself and others what tweaks should be incorporated by default that could change the perception of Siri as elaborated by the OP.

My only suggestion includes standard icon on springboard.its like my home button is getting stressed each time i bug Siri. Heres my suggestion, expand the list:

1- SiriBoard

A dedicated icon would be great, I'm with you there. There are numerous tweaks available that allow 100% hands free operation, the ability to launch apps from siri, the ability to update twitter from siri, being able to turn wifi/bluetooth on and off, stuff like that. Right now you have to jailbreak to do that stuff, but it works very well and is seamless. I think that stuff like that should eventually be standard on future releases.

Those tweaks won't fix the voice recognition issues a lot of people seem to have, but like I said, I have had almost no issues when it comes to Siri understanding me. I do say some words funny but I don't have a full blown accent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.