Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessandjamie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
My 3rd generation Apple TV won't let iTunes connect to it unless I unplug it and plug it back in. Apple TV is connected with an ethernet cable to a Apple extreme router and the computer is a 2011 Macbook Pro connected wirelessly. All software is up to date. I can access the macs iTunes library from the TV but can't play iTunes from the computer. When I hit the airplay icon it says connecting to Apple TV then times out eventually. However if I unplug it then plug back in the dang things connects immediately. Also have a iPhone 4 that works flawlessly as well. I also don't have any passwords set on any of the devices if that helps. Thanks

Deels1

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I had the same issue... Returned my first ATV 3 (don't have this problem on my ATV 2) and the replacement does the same thing. I 'fixed' it by resetting when I would get the trying to connect box in iTunes. Like you, the attemt to connect would time out. As a second 'fix' I set the ATV to never sleep and haven't had a problem since. If anyone has a real fix I would love to know it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.