Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

View Poll Results: Which logo is best?
#1 - (grey with dark background) 2 14.29%
#2 - (blue with no background) 4 28.57%
#3 - (grey with no background) 8 57.14%
I prefer the old logo 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Could really use some opinions on my new logo EDIT: Poll added!

Hey hey,

I've been having a TON of difficulty designing a new logo for my blog - I'm no designer to begin with, but I'm also pretty bad with colours, so here we are. I finally came up with a few designs that I've put together on one image for you to check out. I played around with some stuff and in the end settled for the one on the complete bottom (that's a screenshot right off of the website itself).

I'd really love to get opinions of designers and non-designers alike, as well as the direction you think I should take this (or is it OK as is?). I stuck with grey, black and white since the site itself is filled with colourful pics, but now I'm thinking maybe integrating some colour wouldn't be so bad.

Which one's your favorite? Please vote in the poll, and share your comments in this thread! Without further ado:

Please let me know what you think, I GREATLY appreciate any and all comments!! Old logo:

Last edited by EvryDayImShufln; May 8, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
EvryDayImShufln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

I like the 2nd new one.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

I like the 5th new logo.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:11 AM   #4
beowulf70
macrumors regular

Good to see you creating many options.
Have you tried the blue "Gear" on a white background (currently used) but with the word HUNGRY in caps? i think HUNGRY in caps is neater sitting inside the nav bar and not encroaching on the image areas.

I'd like to see an option of the current design without the grey in the bowls/neg spaces of the word Gear.

All perfectly passable.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
twietee
macrumors 68040

I do prefer the last one..though I'd definetly skip the darkish grey background at "GEA", because one does not understand where it came from. Could be that the GEAR lacks contrast upon white background = try the blue color, which is kind of nice.

While Beowulf is right that "hungry" with capital letters (flush inside the black bar) does not interfere with the content below..I somehow REALLY like how the two words intertwine now (although I'm not sure if "hungry" should be the dominant one = see how some edges overlap). especially the "h" is nice! If it's possible to create a little more free/white space below this header, I'd go for it.

Nice work

oh, and I'd have a shadow only at the "g" and "y" of "hungry", plus only at the bottom, not upon "Gear" (if necessary at all)

Last edited by twietee; May 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 10:39 AM   #6
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf70 View Post
Good to see you creating many options.
Have you tried the blue "Gear" on a white background (currently used) but with the word HUNGRY in caps? i think HUNGRY in caps is neater sitting inside the nav bar and not encroaching on the image areas.

I'd like to see an option of the current design without the grey in the bowls/neg spaces of the word Gear.

All perfectly passable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
I do prefer the last one..though I'd definetly skip the darkish grey background at "GEA", because one does not understand where it came from. Could be that the GEAR lacks contrast upon white background = try the blue color, which is kind of nice.

While Beowulf is right that "hungry" with capital letters (flush inside the black bar) does not interfere with the content below..I somehow REALLY like how the two words intertwine now (although I'm not sure if "hungry" should be the dominant one = see how some edges overlap). especially the "h" is nice! If it's possible to create a little more free/white space below this header, I'd go for it.

Nice work

oh, and I'd have a shadow only at the "g" and "y" of "hungry", plus only at the bottom, not upon "Gear" (if necessary at all)
Thanks to everyone for the comments so far!

At first I was convinced on the caps because of the way it didn't overlap the bar, but over time I started to find that this font (helvetica) looks better in minuscule, for some reason, so I switched it all to that.

And yeah the "h" from hungry just fit right in perfectly, which worked out great! I personally find that the overlap doesn't bother me, but do you guys think it looks bad, overlapping on the pictures below? The issue is that the spacing between the 9 random pictures and between the logo is now equal, but if I put more white space below I might skew that and make it look odd.

And yes Twietee you're absolutely right about the shadows. Initially I had done just that (on g and y only) but the rest of the bottom didn't look right, so I put it on all of them, didn't think anybody would notice it on the top :P - will definitely need to cut that out when I make the next revisions to the actual logo. Until then I've made another prop with the blue and no high contrast backing.

Plz tell me what you think. I find the grey contrast backing in back of the "gear" letters looks better, IMO anyway.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:11 PM   #7
twietee
macrumors 68040

if you like it, keep it.
but imo the grey background in your 5th version kind of excludes the "R" in "gear".
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:14 PM   #8
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
if you like it, keep it.
but imo the grey background in your 5th version kind of excludes the "R" in "gear".
I did indeed put a grey background (that ends in a gradient as the top of the r gets near so that it wouldn't cut off straight) to try and make it look more uniform. I agree that it isn't ideal though.. I could use a stroke of inspiration right now to figure out another way!
Old May 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
halledise
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
i like the 2nd new one.
+1
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:50 PM   #10
musty345
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvryDayImShufln View Post
Love it!
21.5" iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPod Classic
musty345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
camomac
macrumors 6502a

excellent site

i would just like to say that that is a great site!
i spent way too much time reading through it, i am going to bookmark it.
thanks for a great blog!!
Old May 8, 2012, 08:29 PM   #12
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Ok guys I've added a poll to better get an overview of your opinions! Head up to the first post to see the options (4 choices)! Thanks in advance

And thank you got all the comments so far, very much appreciated! And thanks camomac, super glad you like it
Old May 9, 2012, 02:01 AM   #13
kickkick
macrumors newbie

I like the second one. It is colorful for me.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:30 AM   #14
iamjose
macrumors member

not on the list but I would say # 3 with "hungry" being in blue.... just a thought. try it!
iamjose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:27 PM   #15
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjose View Post
not on the list but I would say # 3 with "hungry" being in blue.... just a thought. try it!

Hey, this actually turned out a lot better than I expected: what you think? (though I did it on #1 and not #3!, I just realized)

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics