Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Just some food for thought....

Texting While Driving Statistics

• About 6,000 deaths and a half a million injuries are caused by distracted drivers every year.
  • While teenagers are texting, they spend about 10 percent of the time outside the driving lane they’re supposed to be in.
  • Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver’s reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. That is enough time to travel the length of a football field.

Those are all the reasons we need Siri to be responsive and user friendly to be used with minimal contact with the phone.

How do you read texts with Siri active through bluetooth. you still have to touch the phone at some point...

Adapted from EdgarSnyder.com

Thanks for the statistics that are pretty much common knowledge. I am fully aware of the hazards of texting while driving, all of which I only use Siri if I have to text.

While connected to Bluetooth Siri works through the speakers of the truck, i do not have to hold the phone to talk to siri. Siri will read your text messages to you if you ask. Can you not hold down the home button without taking your eyes off the road?

Again, this is a great feature if Siri works correctly, in which my case is only 75% of the time.

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336240622.813149.jpg
A dedicated icon would be great, I'm with you there. There are numerous tweaks available that allow 100% hands free operation, the ability to launch apps from siri, the ability to update twitter from siri, being able to turn wifi/bluetooth on and off, stuff like that. Right now you have to jailbreak to do that stuff, but it works very well and is seamless. I think that stuff like that should eventually be standard on future releases.

Those tweaks won't fix the voice recognition issues a lot of people seem to have, but like I said, I have had almost no issues when it comes to Siri understanding me. I do say some words funny but I don't have a full blown accent.

I do hope Apple adds standard functionality for adding an icon to springboard.

As far as accent is concerned its just getting used to pronouncing words extra clearly with clarity.

:)

Thanks for the statistics that are pretty much common knowledge. I am fully aware of the hazards of texting while driving, all of which I only use Siri if I have to text.

While connected to Bluetooth Siri works through the speakers of the truck, i do not have to hold the phone to talk to siri. Siri will read your text messages to you if you ask. Can you not hold down the home button without taking your eyes off the road?

Again, this is a great feature if Siri works correctly, in which my case is only 75% of the time.

could it connectivity or maybe your Texan accent. eh cowboy

Last edited by a moderator:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I see a lot of negative comments about Siri and how it doesn't always work. I can literally say mine works 99.9% of the time. I think it's brilliant and considering I'm British (I've read many comments saying it cannot understand a strong British accent) it understands my accent very well! I love Siri! :D

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Siri is a wonderful gimmick for Apple to advertise.

It also appeals to those who enjoy an ego boost, as they fantasize about Siri as their "personal assistant".

One look at the recent Siri commercials over emphasizes the usefulness of this so called "feature".

After boarding my plane at LAX last week, while waiting to lift off, a few people were giving orders to Siri, the obnoxious level of chatter was just another reminder of how much Siri appeals to those with no clue about cell phone manners.

Self absorbed, bent on looking important, they chattered away, while looking aside to see who was noticing them.

While Siri is a "feature" on my iPhone, I haven't used it once.

Everything Siri can do, I can do just as fast and easy, if not faster. AND I don't have to listen to the synthesized voice of this obnoxious system.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
75% of the time is not exactly "hardly works."

It's new technology - so it's not perfect.

Wait . . . new Apple technology that doesn't work and that is ok. This is the reason people call foul on Apple apologizers. For me it works maybe 20-30% of the time and I have to constantly repeat the request. Its a joke.

----------

How about a better voice for Siri or some other updated feature to it. As for it being called Beta, that was not something I was told at the time of purchase but have only read as an excuse for why it doesn't work.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Siri works for me just about 100% of the time. The only issues I have with it is remember what to say and how to say it, example - saying "comma" and "question mark" in text messages.

Siri is BETA software, Apple has never marketed it as "perfect" so relax. It isn't like it's taking functionality away from the rest of the device. Just don't use it if you don't like it.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Siri works for me just about 100% of the time. The only issues I have with it is remember what to say and how to say it, example - saying "comma" and "question mark" in text messages.

Siri is BETA software, Apple has never marketed it as "perfect" so relax. It isn't like it's taking functionality away from the rest of the device. Just don't use it if you don't like it.

I do have to say, respectfully, though, I wish Siri would work for me the same way it does in those ads with Zoey Deschanel and Samuel L. Jackson. It appears to work flawlessly there.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Since Siri is "Beta", wouldn't there be random updates from time to time? I think the last update was when they added more languages but nothing for the functionality of the program. Also when something is beta aren't they supposed to release the software to developers before releasing to the public? Apple seeds to developers for new MAC OS and iOS but never anything new for Siri. Then to top it off they totally avoided Siri in the new iPad. The more I think about it the more I think Apple used Siri to get IP4 owners to upgrade to IP4S.

What if the new iPhone 5/6 didn't come equipped with Siri? What would you all think? I know it's a long shot, but what if?

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
Since Siri is "Beta", wouldn't there be random updates from time to time? I think the last update was when they added more languages but nothing for the functionality of the program. Also when something is beta aren't they supposed to release the software to developers before releasing to the public? Apple seeds to developers for new MAC OS and iOS but never anything new for Siri. Then to top it off they totally avoided Siri in the new iPad. The more I think about it the more I think Apple used Siri to get IP4 owners to upgrade to IP4S.

What if the new iPhone 5/6 didn't come equipped with Siri? What would you all think? I know it's a long shot, but what if?

thank you for your earlier post you not being a cowboy, maybe just a marine then. hooo haaaa!

back on topic, IMHO there should be updates to enhance the repeated efficiency delivered by Siri to users. IPhone 4 users can have Siri ported (illegal maybe) but it still works for them.
An iPhone 5 (proposed) would defo have voice recognition software alongwith other visual enhancements.
But in the scenario they don't add Siri, I guess it's something we all saw coming.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
How do you read texts with Siri active through bluetooth. you still have to touch the phone at some point...

No you dont. Many cars will activate Siri from the phone button on steering wheels. Mine does, and I use it to read texts, although I find the reliability of Siri in the car terrible.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The more I think about it the more I think Apple used Siri to get IP4 owners to upgrade to IP4S.
Someone finally gets it. The 4S had no real 'wiz-bang' going for it, so the sexy new Siri was thrown in to the mix, even though it was (and still is) in beta. But it's software based, not hardware, (and has been proved to work on the iPhone 4), so it really has little to do with the 4S itself. It smacks of Apple going "we got a lot of good upgrades in this old model, but nothing screams excitement" What else can we through in there?" Enter Siri.

And it worked: Got millions of giggling men to buy the otherwise humdrum 4S.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Anytime I hear a release is still in BETA, whether its a Mac or PC, I fully understand this will be buggy for sometime to come. Could be many months or even longer as the program matures. We should not expect other wise ladies and gentleman. Some of use are having issues because of our speech, or accents but as others have mentioned, it is still maturing.

Even when its out of BETA, I bet SIRI will still have hiccups. ;)

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
Siri works for me about 98% of the time. I know which commands I can use and am used to saying them the way she understands them. I can use it to accomplish anything shown in the commercials. For me, it's a pretty solid feature. I was upgrading from a 3GS anyway, so the 4S was a huge leap forward.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
After boarding my plane at LAX last week, while waiting to lift off, a few people were giving orders to Siri, the obnoxious level of chatter was just another reminder of how much Siri appeals to those with no clue about cell phone manners. Self absorbed, bent on looking important, they chattered away, while looking aside to see who was noticing them...

I get the same reaction when people actually talk on their phone. Or to other people. How dare they. :rolleyes:

I use Siri because it is faster than typing (and in my case, more accurate). I don't like using Siri in public because of the lack of privacy - perhaps that is why those using Siri in an airport were looking around.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I'm quite satisfied with Siri, but I didn't expect her to be my personal assistant. I just expected her to satisfy the lazy me. She checks the weather, plays songs, checks calendars, alerts me with reminders, that's good enough.

The big seller to iPhone 4S for me wasn't Siri, it was AirPlay Mirroring. It makes FaceTime, picture and video sharing, and reading so much better!

They should advertise AirPlay!

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
The same logic should be used for the government.
They hardly work, so whats the point?

Well if Siri works 75% of the time, thats almost 3 times as much as the government.

Maybe we're complaining about the wrong stuff?

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
No you dont. Many cars will activate Siri from the phone button on steering wheels. Mine does, and I use it to read texts, although I find the reliability of Siri in the car terrible.
Thats awesome! didnt know that, sounds more convenient that way.

As far as reliability is concerned we all know where this convo will be headed. Everyone has a varied thoughts on that one

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Siri works for me nearly 100% of the time. I've used it since the old Siri app. The only time it doesn't is when I'm on WiFi at home and my ISP is delivering exceptionally laggy service. Occasionally I will ask a question that is too intricate or might be something that Siri just isn't set up to do, I don't consider that not working, I consider that lacking features.

I use Siri for all of my scheduling. I hear people say they can just do things manually faster than Siri can. OK, go ahead and make a calendar appointment faster than I can with Siri. Not a chance.

I also love it for setting alarms. It hasn't failed at that a single time--even though I have failed at it manually many times while half asleep.

I use it for messaging quite often as well. Not always, more often than not I prefer to send messages silently, but it does come in handy when I have a headset on and I'm in the middle of something else.

I also use it for driving directions. It's much easier than typing everything in. Siri works perfectly when I do this, although sometimes the map data is lacking. This is not however, a Siri issue.

I'd love it if it could do more. The old Siri app used to be able to book restaurant reservations for you through Open Table, and a few other things. I'd like it to link with Fandango or some similar app to buy movie tickets for example.

Like I said in the beginning, there are times when I ask for things that are out of Siri's range of capabilities. There, I can't really say the app isn't working. It works fine, it just doesn't do everything I always want it to do.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Anytime I hear a release is still in BETA, whether its a Mac or PC, I fully understand this will be buggy for sometime to come. Could be many months or even longer as the program matures. We should not expect other wise ladies and gentleman. Some of use are having issues because of our speech, or accents but as others have mentioned, it is still maturing.

Even when its out of BETA, I bet SIRI will still have hiccups. ;)

I can't think of a single instance when I actually had to pay for a beta. Siri is one of those cases, and it's being marketed as the killer app for the 4S. As such, we should hold it to a higher standard than other beta software.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Today I asked Siri to remind me to buy a birthday card for my dad tomorrow at 2pm. Siri then said "Let me check on that, would you like me to search the web?".....I know I speak proper english so my voice is not the issue. It's cases like these that pisses me off. I went into the reminders app and set the reminder myself. I might as well turn off Siri :mad:

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
Siri works for me nearly 100% of the time. I've used it since the old Siri app. The only time it doesn't is when I'm on WiFi at home and my ISP is delivering exceptionally laggy service. Occasionally I will ask a question that is too intricate or might be something that Siri just isn't set up to do, I don't consider that not working, I consider that lacking features.

I use Siri for all of my scheduling. I hear people say they can just do things manually faster than Siri can. OK, go ahead and make a calendar appointment faster than I can with Siri. Not a chance.

I also love it for setting alarms. It hasn't failed at that a single time--even though I have failed at it manually many times while half asleep.

I use it for messaging quite often as well. Not always, more often than not I prefer to send messages silently, but it does come in handy when I have a headset on and I'm in the middle of something else.

I also use it for driving directions. It's much easier than typing everything in. Siri works perfectly when I do this, although sometimes the map data is lacking. This is not however, a Siri issue.

I'd love it if it could do more. The old Siri app used to be able to book restaurant reservations for you through Open Table, and a few other things. I'd like it to link with Fandango or some similar app to buy movie tickets for example.

Like I said in the beginning, there are times when I ask for things that are out of Siri's range of capabilities. There, I can't really say the app isn't working. It works fine, it just doesn't do everything I always want it to do.

+1

good explanation of how it works for some and doesn't for others.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464512.393471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464596.191841.jpg

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
Today I asked Siri to remind me to buy a birthday card for my dad tomorrow at 2pm. Siri then said "Let me check on that, would you like me to search the web?".....I know I speak proper english so my voice is not the issue. It's cases like these that pisses me off. I went into the reminders app and set the reminder myself. I might as well turn off Siri :mad:

I guess you need to use correct pretext. it's smart but not perfect. btw trying to help not messing about.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336464935.892436.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.