Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
You already admitted the problem was you being too picky. Sorry, you can't take that back.

It's not an abuse of the return policy unless Apple says "Sorry, we do not accept returns for dust under the screen, dead pixels, or scratched/damaged finishes."

Even then, it would only be the store employee who could abuse the policy, not the customer.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
It's not an abuse of the return policy unless Apple says "Sorry, we do not accept returns for dust under the screen, dead pixels, or scratched/damaged finishes."

Even then, it would only be the store employee who could abuse the policy, not the customer.

Keep thinking that to yourself.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
As someone who had a great iPad 1 and 2 on the very first try, and has been through 7 new iPads of my own and has personally inspected nearly 50 others, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that there is something up with the screens of the new iPad, period. I've handled nearly 50 of them. All but 1 or 2 showed some issue. People who indicate their iPad is problem free have likely handled 1 or 2. You do the math.

Well, if they only handled 1 or 2 that would seem to indicate there isn't a problem with the screen for most people and those who have problems are outliers.

Is everyone sensitive to, or do most care about, color shifts/tints/unevenness? Clearly not, or as you've said, the mass returns would trigger media attention. (Though history shows that mainstream tech stories regarding bugs and defects are often born on discussion boards...remember the dude who got a new iPhone with Chinese factory pictures already on it? That went viral straight to the nightly news. Posted first on macrumors.)

True, but many other things that are discussed as bugs and defects never go beyond board conjecture and chatter; because some do doesn't lend credence to the rest.

But insensitivity or lack of caring doesn't mean these iPads don't all have some issue with the displays, beyond the typical shortcomings of LCDs. It could be the manufacturing process. It could be lack of QC. It could be an issue inherent in the technology. I suspect it's a combination of all 3.

It could be that the retina display has different display characteristics that someone with an earlier iPad may find odd but a new user finds acceptable.

I don't doubt that some people have an issue with the screen or that some iPads have bad screens; I just don't think mb anecdotal evidence constitutes a wide spread problem. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Keep thinking that to yourself.

Seriously, if a store says you can return a product for reasons X, Y, or Z, and you return a product for reasons X, Y, or Z, and they accept the return, how on earth are you abusing their return policy?

----------

It could be that the retina display has different display characteristics that someone with an earlier iPad may find odd but a new user finds acceptable.

That would make sense if the iPads were all the same, but they are not. They are wildly inconsistent.

My belief after observing many iPads is that the LCD screens themselves are good. It's multiple varieties of issues with the back lighting.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010

Seriously, if a store says you can return a product for reasons X, Y, or Z, and you return a product for reasons X, Y, or Z, and they accept the return, how on earth are you abusing their return policy?

----------

That would make sense if the iPads were all the same, but they are not. They are wildly inconsistent.

My belief after observing many iPads is that the LCD screens themselves are good. It's multiple varieties of issues with the back lighting.

Overtime the company notices and it's usually not the majority who caused the problem. Take AT&T's unlimited iPhone data plan for example. AT&T noticed that a minority of its customers were abusing the data plan so AT&T eliminated the entire unlimited plan and started throttling the top 5%. Don't turn Apple into AT&T!

Last edited:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
This new one isn't so bad. I can barely see it while reading (my wife doesn't see it this time) and I probably wouldn't have noticed if I was looking for it due to the last one being so bad. I can see it with the split keyboard up. Since they did a return and gave me a new one rather than a replacement, my 14 day window has restarted so I have time to decide if it bugs me.

If I decide to return this one I might just get my money back and buy a refurb iPad 2. Could get the 64gb one and still save $50.

If anyone cares, the screen tint on my new one seems to be highly dependent on ambient light. I didn't notice it in the store, but it was apparant at home. At work it is again almost undetectable. Even at home where I definately noticed it, the color change was much less obvious than the last one.

So, I suppose the point of my post is that this is probably a pretty widespread issue (based on the number of people posting about it here), but some are much worse than others, and the ones that aren't bad probably go unnoticed by their users. I've checked some other peoples and there's a light tint to half the screen but they don't notice and are confused when I ask to examine their screen and can detect something (I never tell them what I'm looking for or whether I've found it. Ignorance is bliss).

I'm pretty satisfied with mine. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have noticed had I not been looking closely for it, and I will most likely keep this one. I'm wondering if the people who've exchange several of them have noticed a dramatic difference in the level of the tints from unit to unit?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm wondering if the people who've exchange several of them have noticed a dramatic difference in the level of the tints from unit to unit?

For me....on the one's I've returned because of the screen, it seems either:

a) The screen was uneven (yellow or green tint on either a side or corner)
b) The screen was uniform....but had an overall tint.

My last one was the most even screen I had.....only a subtle darkness on the left side. However, the whole screen was green-tinted.

-Kevin

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
If anyone cares, the screen tint on my new one seems to be highly dependent on ambient light. I didn't notice it in the store, but it was apparant at home. At work it is again almost undetectable. Even at home where I definately noticed it, the color change was much less obvious than the last one.

So, I suppose the point of my post is that this is probably a pretty widespread issue (based on the number of people posting about it here), but some are much worse than others, and the ones that aren't bad probably go unnoticed by their users. I've checked some other peoples and there's a light tint to half the screen but they don't notice and are confused when I ask to examine their screen and can detect something (I never tell them what I'm looking for or whether I've found it. Ignorance is bliss).

I'm pretty satisfied with mine. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have noticed had I not been looking closely for it, and I will most likely keep this one. I'm wondering if the people who've exchange several of them have noticed a dramatic difference in the level of the tints from unit to unit?

My tint also changes with different lighting at different times of the day. I'm wandering if it is to do with the glass used that causes this? If I go and stand by the window in the daytime I can see the whites turn a shade of pink right in front of my eyes.

My screen is uniform though (no blotches or patches of other colours), so doesn't affect my viewing pleasure.

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Down load a black image that is used for testing the dead pixels. Turn the lights off in the room and then tilt the iPad you will see colours ;) pinks and browns

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Confirm my DY iPad got a dead pixel in middle left of the screen plus a little pink on the bottom. :mad:
I'm going to return it, I'm sick of getting it again now! This is so disappointing, well as least for me.

PS: This is my 5th iPad. I have to say the newer shipment got better though, but this is not good enough! I can't aspect a BAD screen on any of my Apple products. Other than that, the resolution of the screen looks AMAZING.

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Hi well I saw a friends iPad as well today and I confirm that it has dust in it.

Apart from that it has some pixel that is abnormal ( like a smudge ) and a dead or blue lit stuck pixel.

This is really rubbish........

I dont know if I should just keep and use the ipad or give it up as mine has a spec of dust in it.

I can see it when the screen is off and when in safari its a blackish in certain angle and in certain angles you cant see it......

I wish apple really looks into the screen issues soon..... :(

raj.aich

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Bought a DY serial no. 64GB Wifi in India on 27th Apr launch here and it had significant pink & blue tint which was very much evident on the white screen (especially on the bottom left corner).

This was the only piece available in the shop (even in the morning of the launch date) and it proves that the defects are not serial no. bound but mostly due to bad QC.

Just gave it for replacement. If not best, hope to get at least an average one with least pinkish/bluish tint.

Got my replacement yesterday and this time it is from DL series. The display is decent, far better than the previous one. But I must admit the quality of iPad assembling has gone down drastically. Steve Jobs was finicky about his products and that pushed people in Apple to produce world class product. Now it seems it's all about money and profitability just like other technology brands. So Apple is going to be just another Samsung, Sony or Nokia in next 2 years.

Maybe this will be my last Apple product. It's sad since I was an Apple fanboy for past 5 years. :(

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Got my replacement yesterday and this time it is from DL series. The display is decent, far better than the previous one. But I must admit the quality of iPad assembling has gone down drastically. Steve Jobs was finicky about his products and that pushed people in Apple to produce world class product. Now it seems it's all about money and profitability just like other technology brands. So Apple is going to be just another Samsung, Sony or Nokia in next 2 years.

Maybe this will be my last Apple product. It's sad since I was an Apple fanboy for past 5 years. :(

Hi Raj

Well I know what you mean and i too feel really bad about this.

Can you turn the iPad off or turn the screen off and look carefully for dust in the display..... Best is to look at it in sun light.

A feed back would be great - Thanks

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As someone who had a great iPad 1 and 2 on the very first try, and has been through 7 new iPads of my own and has personally inspected nearly 50 others, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that there is something up with the screens of the new iPad, period. I've handled nearly 50 of them. All but 1 or 2 showed some issue. People who indicate their iPad is problem free have likely handled 1 or 2. You do the math.

Add to that the increasing number accounts of multiple returns, and compare that to the accounts of returns for the iPad 1 or 2. Back then, if you got a wonky one, the wonkiness was gone by replacement 1 or 2.

Is everyone sensitive to, or do most care about, color shifts/tints/unevenness? Clearly not, or as you've said, the mass returns would trigger media attention. (Though history shows that mainstream tech stories regarding bugs and defects are often born on discussion boards...remember the dude who got a new iPhone with Chinese factory pictures already on it? That went viral straight to the nightly news. Posted first on macrumors.)

But insensitivity or lack of caring doesn't mean these iPads don't all have some issue with the displays, beyond the typical shortcomings of LCDs. It could be the manufacturing process. It could be lack of QC. It could be an issue inherent in the technology. I suspect it's a combination of all 3.

Based on my past experience, an iPad with a problematic screen was the exception, not the rule. This time around, the problem free iPad seems to be the exception. To my eyes. And my eyes are no more sensitive than they were for the iPad 1 or 2.

Well said. I do agree there is something going on with the screens. Thank god my eyesight is not as good as it once was...I'd hate to make 22 trips to the Apple store.

On a side not, I think that using a Loop, is just a bit over the top (not you a previous poster). If you can see it without the loop then its a non-issue.

----------

Overtime the company notices and it's usually not the majority who caused the problem. Take AT&T's unlimited iPhone data plan for example. AT&T noticed that a minority of its customers were abusing the data plan so AT&T eliminated the entire unlimited plan and started throttling the top 5%. Don't turn Apple into AT&T!

That's a ridiculous analogy.

----------

My tint also changes with different lighting at different times of the day. I'm wandering if it is to do with the glass used that causes this? If I go and stand by the window in the daytime I can see the whites turn a shade of pink right in front of my eyes.

My screen is uniform though (no blotches or patches of other colours), so doesn't affect my viewing pleasure.

This is probably the case as I would bet the ipads displays are color balanced before they are inserted in the case.

----------

Confirm my DY iPad got a dead pixel in middle left of the screen plus a little pink on the bottom. :mad:
I'm going to return it, I'm sick of getting it again now! This is so disappointing, well as least for me.

PS: This is my 5th iPad. I have to say the newer shipment got better though, but this is not good enough! I can't aspect a BAD screen on any of my Apple products. Other than that, the resolution of the screen looks AMAZING.

What does this single dead pixel look like?

Is it a black hole on the screen in normal use?

Can you even see it in normal use?

----------

Hi Raj

Can you turn the iPad off or turn the screen off and look carefully for dust in the display..... Best is to look at it in sun light.

If you need bright sunlight to see dust is that really an issue?

This seems more about wanting PERFECTION than about issues that are truely impeding use.

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Well said. I do agree there is something going on with the screens. Thank god my eyesight is not as good as it once was...I'd hate to make 22 trips to the Apple store.

On a side not, I think that using a Loop, is just a bit over the top (not you a previous poster). If you can see it without the loop then its a non-issue.

----------

That's a ridiculous analogy.

----------

This is probably the case as I would bet the ipads displays are color balanced before they are inserted in the case.

----------

What does this single dead pixel look like?

Is it a black hole on the screen in normal use?

Can you even see it in normal use?

----------

If you need bright sunlight to see dust is that really an issue?

This seems more about wanting PERFECTION than about issues that are truely impeding use.

No you dont need bright sun light to look at it to be honest its just a faster way of looking at it as if you look at it with a normal light bulb in the room the bulb reflects on the screen.

You can just look at in under normal room light.

However you can see it very will when using the ipad as well as it sticks out like a sore thumb

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
you guys are getting me wrong... I used a loop just to check for dead pixels.

The dust is visible very clearly with the naked eye.

tortor

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
hopefully a good apple

Mine is a DY also, order online from one of the Asian country which launch on 20 Apr 2012. The shipment is from Shenzhen.

I am working in UAE now, and will only get my hand on the new iPad later this month, hope i can get a good apple, as return policy in Asian countries not really that flexible like the US. finger crossed ......

Serial number: DYVHK.......
Name: iPad 3
Model Number: MD328
Group1: iPad
Group2: WiFi
Generation: 3
Machine Model: iPad3,1
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 16 (April)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 1.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: White
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: DY Please tell us where this machine is manufactured.

raj.aich

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
Hi Raj

No dust in it... but I am not being picky anymore... dnt want to trigger up my OCD... ;) To be honest this time every single new ipad has some kind of trouble or the other to varied extents..

This will be the first expensive gadget in my life which is getting replaced multiple times by many.... Apple's service is excellent but I am sure they are losing a lot of money on those replaced devices... Hope they are not counting all the replaced devices in the 3 million new iPads sold... :)

PS: It seems they are pushing to produce more iPads not to be sold but to be exchanged...

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Great now there is a dead pixel as well

I know100% that this was not there before there are no doubts about that.

I hope the QC changes and the new lot of iPads are better. I am off to the store to return mine once again

dekoder

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
My is DY, week 16. Black 32G Wifi, got very bad back-light bleed. 50% Brightness

Serial number: DYTHK.......
Model Number: MC076
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB

ON5NZl.jpg

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
My is DY, week 16. Black 32G Wifi, got very bad back-light bleed. 50% Brightness

That's unacceptable. Return that if possible.

-Kevin

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK

That can't be a real pic? The exposure must be through the roof! Looks terrible!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.