Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awfisch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Has the Kindle fire lost its flame? It seems like their dominance in the android tablet world has fizzled and they've lost all but 4% of the tablet market. Giving way not to other android tablets, but instead the iPad. They dropped from almost 17% of the market to just over 4% in one quarter. Dropping from 4.8 million units shipped to just 750,000. All the while, Apple's market share jumped from 55% to 68%, all but eliminating the competition from Amazon. If this continues, and a 7'' tablet doesn't work, should Apple still make one(according to rumors and speculations)?

http://allthingsd.com/20120503/kindle-fire-shipments-fizzle/

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
If you've ever used a Kindle Fire, you would know that there is no comparison to an iPad.

The iPad IS superior to the Kindle - even the last gen model with the paltry 1024x768 was impressive enough to warrant the supreme title. With the retina iPad now, there is no competition.

The biggest problem with using a tablet is what do you do with it. Many people have laptops and clearly compare the iPad to a notebook computer but if you do that, you will never see the point of an iPad. It's not to replace anything. It's a luxury device that you would use complementary to your desktop/laptop.

The moment you understand this, you will see why the iPad is a force to be reckon with.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Android phones and tablets are merely Apple knockoffs for the ignorant masses.

Without 4G it's worthless to an executive. Kindle Fire is a college students cheap w-fi dorm companion. Can't be mentioned in the same breath as the The New iPad.

BJ

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
My dad has a kindle fire and I am impressed with it for the price. It's quality for $200. Not everybody has $500 to spend on the pad, and this feels like a star wars vs star trek debate.

It's interesting that the market % amazon has means something to some of you.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I always saw the kindle fire as a slimmed down e-book reader with some fancy features tacked on.

I see the iPad as a regular tablet full of apps and media access with an eBook reader (and several reader apps) available for use.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
All new gadgets sell like crazy for the first few months, when they're hot + fresh + new. Then sales drop back down to a sane level. That just happened to the fire. It didn't "challenge the iPad" when it was selling like crazy, it just wiped the floor with all the android tablets. In fact it's still dominating the "non-ipad tablet market".

The iPad too would have a huge sales bump when an update comes out. If apple could meet demand. Wonder how big it would be? :)

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
iPad on fire while Kindle smoulders!!?? - AllThingsD exclusive

I wasn't aware the Fire ever even singed the iPad's crown, let alone burned it off. I would also extinguish any thoughts you have about the Fire ever overtaking the iPad. Just put them on the backburner if you must.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The Fire was never a true iPad competitor, regardless of what some so-called experts claimed. It was always aimed at the low end of the tablet market, and at people already tied into the Amazon ecosystem. The big issue with the Fire is that once you get past the Amazon tie-in, there's honestly not a lot there compared to other Android Tablets, let alone the iPad. I bought one when they first came out (largely for purposes of comparison), but I returned it after a couple of weeks because there simply wasn't enough there to keep me interested in the device.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
The Kindle Fire rocks for what it was meant to do. It was NEVER meant to compete with the iPad. I have a fire plus the new iPad. Comparisons are invalid. You can get a Fire for much less (refurbs are $139!) than an iPad. Can't believe anybody tries to compare these devices. I prefer my iPad, but economy means everyone in my house does not get one. My wife who reads and plays angry birds finds the fire more than enough. Thank heavens, I would not want to drop another $600!
With Apple's book pricing grossly higher than Amazon, the Fire is no low end device, and make way better sense for book readers. It's a rather high end device for the purpose it was intended. If I didn't want web surfing and video, I would have opted for the fire in a heartbeat. No sense in wasting good money to be part of a "clique".

Last edited:

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006
The question is: is there a $200 device that is more impressive than the kindle fire?

No, but if you spend a little more money, you will
get a lot more for it --

You can now get a refurb iPad1 WiFi with FULL
Apple Warranty for $349 from Apple.

A Kindle Fire is only "good" in isolation from
a truly competent tablet like the iPad.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
i see it as a silly comparison too, though one amazon are obviously after. type ipad into amazon's search and it will come up with "considering an ipad? have a look at the kindle" as a first result. clicking on the link will pull up a ludicrous side by side of the two devices, obviously heavily biased in the kindles favour.

think its sad they feel the need to compare like that, the kindle fire is a decent little device for its relatively low price.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
No, but if you spend a little more money, you will
get a lot more for it --

You can now get a refurb iPad1 WiFi with FULL
Apple Warranty for $349 from Apple.

A Kindle Fire is only "good" in isolation from
a truly competent tablet like the iPad.

You call spending a $150 a "little more"? :eek: That's nearly two Kindle Fires. The KF was just $139 the other day on Amazon's website, but that one day offer sold out.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have a Kindle Fire - got it for $139. It's a great media tablet. I'm really enjoying it for what it is - and it's worth every dollar of the $139 I spent on it.

However, it's definitely not going to be my main tablet. The iPad is much, much faster, can do much, much more and is just all-around much more pleasant to use. While Amazon tries to hide it, the OS is based on Android, and exhibits many of the characteristics of Android - jittery, abrupt and "unfinished".

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I feel sorry for those poor folks whose only experience of tablet computing is the kindle. It's probably like losing your virginity to a tramp in a dumpster. So many of my friends have finally upgraded to a proper iPad but they have been pretty much scarred. Kindle fire will be gone and forgotten pretty soon.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I wasn't aware the Fire ever even singed the iPad's crown, let alone burned it off. I would also extinguish any thoughts you have about the Fire ever overtaking the iPad. Just put them on the backburner if you must.

Oooh... burn. Way to put the damper on.

Say, do I smell toast?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I found the UE on the Fire quite jerky and clunky in about 1/2 hour playing with one owned by a relative. Tbh even at $139 I couldn't see myself using one. Once you get used to the more or less instantaneous responsiveness of a late gen iOS device, everything else feels frustratingly slow.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The question is: is there a $200 device that is more impressive than the kindle fire?

Not in my opinion. I find the Fire's OS to be clunky but I think they have and continue to improve on it. If I wasn't all about Apple I would probably own the Fire. Instead, I've only bought them as gifts for others. Makes for an impressive and yet affordable present to people who aren't offended by it not being an iPad. :)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The Fire needs a lot of work. For what it is/does, $199 isn't a bad price, but in some ways, it has fallen into the same traps that a lot of other devices have fallen into. It's a forked version of an OS that already isn't doing well on other tablets. Recipe for failure.

Jwr53

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I don't ever quite trust these reports, because Amazon doesn't release sales figures.

In any case, I own both the Fire and a 3rd-gen iPad, and like them both. I prefer the Fire's OS, but the screen and the size of the iPad are better. I think that for the things most people do with a tablet (search, games, social networking), the Fire is a very worthy alternative to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.