Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old May 4, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
makeyourmovenow
macrumors newbie

My iPhone suddenly stopped charging on the IMac any answers welcome

MY iPhone 4s, just decided to stop charging when I connect it to my IMAC. It can't be the port or the cable (I think) because I use this cable and port to charge my IPAD first gen, with no problems. It charges fine when it is plugged into the wall. The phone will sync ok in the IMAC, just won't charge.

ANy answers pls. Thank you in advance.
IPhone 4s 64 gig
makeyourmovenow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeyourmovenow View Post
MY iPhone 4s, just decided to stop charging when I connect it to my IMAC. It can't be the port or the cable (I think) because I use this cable and port to charge my IPAD first gen, with no problems. It charges fine when it is plugged into the wall. The phone will sync ok in the IMAC, just won't charge.

ANy answers pls. Thank you in advance.
Have you tried using a different cable and/or different port? Are you using the actual cable that came with the iPhone or a third-party cable? Are you plugging it into the back of the iMac or into the keyboard USB port or a different USB hub?
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
makeyourmovenow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Have you tried using a different cable and/or different port? Are you using the actual cable that came with the iPhone or a third-party cable? Are you plugging it into the back of the iMac or into the keyboard USB port or a different USB hub?
Thanks, yes it is a mac cable, which came with iPhone, plugging into back of mac.
IPhone 4s 64 gig

Last edited by makeyourmovenow; May 5, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Thanks, yes it is a mac cable, which came with iPhone, plugging into back of mac.
Have you tried using a different cable? It's possible this one is wearing out and the iMac might be sensitive enough to "know" that and not charge in order to protect the iPhone.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
makeyourmovenow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Have you tried using a different cable? It's possible this one is wearing out and the iMac might be sensitive enough to "know" that and not charge in order to protect the iPhone.
Thanks yes, I have just tried it, and it is charging. I wasn't aware cables could wear out. I thought the cable was ok cos it charges my iPad fine, and its the new one. I'm now using my old one which came with my 3g iPhone bought 3 years ago. MAc cables, sometimes its a mystifying technology!

Thank you SandboxGeneral for your help, much appreciated.
IPhone 4s 64 gig
Old May 5, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Thanks yes, I have just tried it, and it is charging. I wasn't aware cables could wear out. I thought the cable was ok cos it charges my iPad fine, and its the new one. I'm now using my old one which came with my 3g iPhone bought 3 years ago. MAc cables, sometimes its a mystifying technology!

Thank you SandboxGeneral for your help, much appreciated.
Cables wear out from use and being bent, even a little over time and the wires inside can fray, come loose or detach from the connectors.

Glad it's working out for you now.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
TourerV Drifter
macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am having the same problem with my 4S but it's not the cable. My phone will charge will plugged into the wall but when I use the same cable plugged into the back of my iMac it will not charge. I have tried multiple cables and they all work on the outlet but not the iMac. All cables will charge my wifes iPhone 4 and iPad while plugged into the iMac. Any help would be appreciated
TourerV Drifter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Tags
charging, imac, iphone 4